DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

less than outstanding first flight

itallica

Reactions
So ... the where I screwed up ... order the wrong fly more package assuming incorrectly that I could use my beloved RC Pro controller. OK... I'm over that.

Batteries charged, aircraft connected (iPhone 13 pro max) ... for probably 20 minutes while I went through all the menus.

Took it outside, acquired all the gps, and took off for a delightful tour of the neighborhood. Messed around with the 3x lens... wow how cool is that>>!>!>?!?

Bringing it home I got to the large tree on my property line and bang... aircraft is no longer connected.

Restarted the app - restarted the controller. Nodda.

LUCKILY I could see the aircraft and the controller still controlled the dang thing. Brought it down, restarted the aircraft and I had connection again. At any point other than where I was I would have been in a world of hurt.

So now I get to figure out if this is going back for a full refund, or I begin the pain of figuring out wtf happened.

Gahhh!!!

Reactions: James in the Desert
I do wish DJI would stop F***ing about with things like the delay time to trigger Failsafe behaviour and standardise to one value across their models and stick with it.
Why is this relevant to this possibly relevant to this thread ?
- restarted the controller. Nodda.
What was the sycle time to switch the controller off and on again?
According to the manual the "failsafe RTH" delay is >6 seconds .
"The action of the aircraft when the remote controller signal is lost can be set to RTH, land, or
hover in Setting > Safety > Advanced Safety Settings in DJI Fly. If the Home Point was successfully
recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after
the remote controller signal is lost for more than six seconds.
"

and I am wondering why, at a guess, Failsafe RTH behaviour did not kick in?
Could you have cycled the controller in under 6 seconds?
If failsafe behaviour was set to RTH then Jeepers that's complicated.
I hope folks read that carefully.

You definitely have the room out there to practice in a super wide open space. Check all forms of RTH including when the drone disconnects and never regains the signal or when you have to move to reconnect. Find out what happens if you accidentally drop your remote into the Vermillion river. See what works best for you, RTH eventually or hover which will hang around for awhile and eventually come home when the battery dictates. Not only every model is different but I guess each circumstance is slightly different as well. And then....think about getting a compatible smart remote controller. Good idea to get DJI Care Refresh as well.

So ... the where I screwed up ... order the wrong fly more package assuming incorrectly that I could use my beloved RC Pro controller. OK... I'm over that.

Batteries charged, aircraft connected (iPhone 13 pro max) ... for probably 20 minutes while I went through all the menus.

Took it outside, acquired all the gps, and took off for a delightful tour of the neighborhood. Messed around with the 3x lens... wow how cool is that>>!>!>?!?

Bringing it home I got to the large tree on my property line and bang... aircraft is no longer connected.

LUCKILY I could see the aircraft and the controller still controlled the dang thing. Brought it down, restarted the aircraft and I had connection again. At any point other than where I was I would have been in a world of hurt.

So now I get to figure out if this is going back for a full refund, or I begin the pain of figuring out wtf happened.

Gahhh!!!
Welcome aboard, no one ever told me it was going to be easy, but it turned out to be fabulous I love this hobby

Reactions: BearMan54

Gahhh!!!

I choose "Optimal" instead of "Preset" in the RTH settings. BIG MISTAKE. I almost faint watching the Air 3 lowering the altitude while returning home going a few feet over houses and trees. That's it! I change to "Preset" and have again the old "Keep the height until over the landing site".

Reactions: BearMan54
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas