DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Let's Be Nicer?

Lastrexking

Reactions
Looking at the lost drone threads.... they're pretty depressing. Not just because someone has just lost an expensive drone that they've either worked hard for or really looked forward to getting, but because of the reactions they get from other people.

I think generally, when someone comes on here with a lost drone story they're looking for help and they get it (there are some great people offering help with flight logs etc). They're probably a bit embarrassed about any mistakes they made, so use the term 'flyaway' not knowing any better. But, it seems some people really like to make them feel even worse and love pointing out it was their fault - not just once, they get it multiple times from multiple people - even when they've admitted they made a mistake.

If I was new and I read some of the reactions it would put me off joining in. Maybe we could all (including me) be a little more understanding, and a little kinder to those looking for help?

I agree but afraid it’s almost the norm in this forum compared to our other 14. Since the Mini has arrived
and all the new first time flyers have arrived it has seemed to get worse and why the ignore feature was added.
I hear what you’re saying and see it but afraid if more don’t
start reporting staff can’t stop it. One thing we don’t tolerate
and is in our guidelines is rudeness.
See it Report it.

Yeah, the other forums seem to be much easier going. I've been involved on Phantom Pilots since 2014 (ShaunW over there), and Spark Pilots since 2017, and it's generally a more fair environment on both forums.

I agree the Mini has definitely had a huge impact, but we should be helping those first time flyers, not chastising them. I'm guilty of not reporting, but I will from now on.

Cheers :)

I agree but afraid it’s almost the norm in this forum compared to our other 14. Since the Mini has arrived
and all the new first time flyers have arrived it has seemed to get worse and why the ignore feature was added.
I hear what you’re saying and see it but afraid if more don’t
start reporting staff can’t stop it. One thing we don’t tolerate
and is in our guidelines is rudeness.
See it Report it.

You'll are rude as hell and that's why I quit three day after I signed up. You'll are just a bunch of hall monitors!!! Bithen, and complaining etc.
I’m leaving your post up only to point out the fallacies in your post. First not everyone on here is rude, but your post qualifies as one that is. If you read the first two posts in this thread you must now know that the moderators cannot read every new post that appears on the forum and if you find posts that are rude Report it just as your post here was reported.

Don’t be part of the problem, be part of the solution to the problem. Please note you were not given any Warning points for your “rude” post.

@Lastrexking
As sad as it is, you will find whether on forums or YouTube, there will be people that are “haters” or feel superior and will belittle whatever a person posts.

I find that people in all corners of the internet-social media, forums, twitter and the like- often post things that they would likely not say if they were face to face with a person. Before I post, I try and ask my self, truthfully, "Would I say it if I were face to face with the recipient(s)?"

Another guideline I have heard: Do I know it to be true? Is it kind? Is it necessary or constructive?

I find that people in all corners of the internet-social media, forums, twitter and the like- often post things that they would likely not say if they were face to face with a person. Before I post, I try and ask my self, truthfully, "Would I say it if I were face to face with the recipient(s)?"

Another guideline I have heard: Do I know it to be true? Is it kind? Is it necessary or constructive?
We have a 'Be Kind' thing going on at work and it really made me think, hence this thread.

I like your approach. It's one a lot of us could adopt. :)

Looking at the lost drone threads.... they're pretty depressing. Not just because someone has just lost an expensive drone that they've either worked hard for or really looked forward to getting, but because of the reactions they get from other people.

I think generally, when someone comes on here with a lost drone story they're looking for help and they get it (there are some great people offering help with flight logs etc). They're probably a bit embarrassed about any mistakes they made, so use the term 'flyaway' not knowing any better. But, it seems some people really like to make them feel even worse and love pointing out it was their fault - not just once, they get it multiple times from multiple people - even when they've admitted they made a mistake.

If I was new and I read some of the reactions it would put me off joining in. Maybe we could all (including me) be a little more understanding, and a little kinder to those looking for help?
I agree with you on the matter of helping those who come here for help after admittedly making a mistake, and trying to learn from it. However there have been quite a few posts from new pilots who come and immediately blame DJI, blame the terrible software, blame the drone, etc... They come with an attitude that they did nothing wrong and that they deserve to be compensated for a faulty product. Those are completely different. Yes we should still help them, but it should always be pointed out to these pilots that it was their fault, without sugar coating and without being "too nice".

I agree with you on the matter of helping those who come here for help after admittedly making a mistake, and trying to learn from it. However there have been quite a few posts from new pilots who come and immediately blame DJI, blame the terrible software, blame the drone, etc... They come with an attitude that they did nothing wrong and that they deserve to be compensated for a faulty product. Those are completely different. Yes we should still help them, but it should always be pointed out to these pilots that it was their fault, without sugar coating and without being "too nice".

Maybe they don't know any better? They're still learning, and maybe as far as they know they didn't know anything wrong.

Plus, they only need telling once. A lot of the time they have multiple people jumping on their case.

If they genuinely have an attitude problem, then just be the better person and ignore them.

Maybe they don't know any better? They're still learning, and maybe as far as they know they didn't know anything wrong.

Plus, they only need telling once. A lot of the time they have multiple people jumping on their case.

If they genuinely have an attitude problem, then just be the better person and ignore them.

I completely agree with you on this thread and it's meaning.

But (always a but and sometimes a butt LOL):
Some people only read the very first post in the thread and try to give some advice. This leads to many people saying the same thing and sometimes it seems (in some case it IS) people jumping on the bandwagon or a MOB mentality when it may not be.

As stated already, if they "appear" to have an attitude problem and/or you think they might have violated one of our Community Rules please hit the REPORT button and our staff members will do the research and take appropriate actions.

Speaking of such... here's a link to them and we should all be familiar with them because we ALL agreed to them when we joined this forum.

Pay attention to these points directly related to this thread's topic:
Please think before you post and keep your comments limited to the topic at hand and above all - be nice.

14. We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate discourtesy or disrespect.

Some people only read the very first post in the thread and try to give some advice. This leads to many people saying the same thing and sometimes it seems (in some case it IS) people jumping on the bandwagon or a MOB mentality when it may not be.
Thanks Al. I actually never thought of that. I always wondered why someone join a thread and give basically the same exact answer as someone already did. This is not just related to the topic at hand but in general when someone asks how to do something. I always try to read the entire thread first.

Yes of course. We were all beginners at one point. I agree that many times what is pilot error may appear like a hardware malfunction to a newbie. However I think in general it is better to start from a point of being humble rather than being brash and demanding action. This applies to any such interaction in life and not just here. Even if it is indeed the fault of the company, you will generally get a better response if you first start off in a calm manner. In other words, yes the responses should be kind and friendly, but the initial post should be as well. That's in a perfect world.

Couldn’t agree more, BigAl07...

As an engineer I deal with colleagues across almost 100 countries. Different languages, time zones, ages and experience. I do a lot of training and deal with technical problems by phone, email,online meetings and face-to-face.

Think about this:

Most folks just want a concise answer/explanation.

They may speak a different language...English is the international language of aviation but some things don’t translate well.

Not all of us use proper spelling, grammar and punctuation...it doesn’t mean they are less intelligent or have less common sense.

Different age groups learn differently.

They sometimes make assumptions that you know what hardware/firmware they have...no need to beat them up, just ask for clarification.

Not all of these folks have extensive backgrounds in aviation, electronics and computers like you might...

They might not be awake, or have sufficient coffee yet (like me).

Remember, it’s easy to be nice to nice people.

Thanks Al. I actually never thought of that. I always wondered why someone join a thread and give basically the same exact answer as someone already did. This is not just related to the topic at hand but in general when someone asks how to do something. I always try to read the entire thread first.
In a thread requesting help with a problem I read the thread in its entirety and give likes to posts I agree with and only post if I have something useful to add or find a response that is blatantly in error and comment politely why I disagree with that assessment.

In a thread requesting help with a problem I read the thread in its entirety and give likes to posts I agree with and only post if I have something useful to add or find a response that is blatantly in error and comment politely why I disagree with that assessment.

EXACTLY !!

Reactions: DoomMeister
As an engineer I deal with colleagues across almost 100 countries. Different languages, time zones, ages and experience. I do a lot of training and deal with technical problems by phone, email,online meetings and face-to-face.
Same here. Working with people across all sorts of environments takes a lot of patience and understanding.

They sometimes make assumptions that you know what hardware/firmware they have...no need to beat them up, just ask for clarification.

Not all of these folks have extensive backgrounds in aviation, electronics and computers like you might...

They might not be awake, or have sufficient coffee yet (like me).
You forgot one, which unfortunately in today's "I want it now" mentality is also far too common. It is called being lazy. Why bother doing any work searching for an answer when you can do the absolute minimum possible and post a 5 word "question" and expect everyone else to give you the answer, even if it requires those people to do the research?

That isn't everyone of course, but there are a lot of people in that category. If we are listing the reason why some posts are so terse then we cannot leave that one out.

Reactions: BigAl07
Same here. Working with people across all sorts of environments takes a lot of patience and understanding.

You forgot one, which unfortunately in today's "I want it now" mentality is also far too common. It is called being lazy. Why bother doing any work searching for an answer when you can do the absolute minimum possible and post a 5 word "question" and expect everyone else to give you the answer, even if it requires those people to do the research?

That isn't everyone of course, but there are a lot of people in that category. If we are listing the reason why some posts are so terse then we cannot leave that one out.
The simple way to avoid that is to not reply at all. If ignored they simply give up after awhile. If they post it more than once or in different areas, use Report and the staff will address the multiple posting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird