DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Liability Drone Insurance?

WenatcheeMavicFlights

Reactions
I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find anything on this.

Does anyone know if there is Liability Insurance available for Drone pilots?
I have State Farm and DJI Care Refresh for my drone.
I fly as safe as I possibly can, But if something goes terribly wrong and I crash my drone into something or someone and cause damage I would really like to have insurance available.

What’s your thoughts? Thank you

I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find anything on this.

Does anyone know if there is Liability Insurance available for Drone pilots?
I have State Farm and DJI Care Refresh for my drone.
I fly as safe as I possibly can, But if something goes terribly wrong and I crash my drone into something or someone and cause damage I would really like to have insurance available.

What’s your thoughts? Thank you

I recently found/purchased coverage thru SkyWatch. You can buy a per flight plan, monthly or annually. Instant coverage thru a phone app.

I recently found/purchased coverage thru SkyWatch. You can buy a per flight plan, monthly or annually. Instant coverage thru a phone app.
Thank you! Is it a reputable insurance provider? Is it an app I download?

Contact your home insurer and inquire about a personal umbrella policy that does not exclude aircraft. It is very inexpensive.

You may want to look at Verifly: Verifly
"On demand" insurance, private or commercial...
You pay only for your flight time, 1 hr, or as many hours as you need.
Based on location, and time/length of flight.

I will look into it, thank you!

I have the same with State Farm $60.00 a year and no deductible. When I asked State Farm about liability (if my drone damaged a car, home etc.) they told me that would be covered by my home owners insurance.

Reactions: Aquaman1414
I checked with my insurance agent who confirmed that my home owners policy covers it. You might check with yours. I have Sate Farm.

I checked with my insurance agent who confirmed that my home owners policy covers it. You might check with yours. I have Sate Farm.
Of course this only applies to hobby/recreational flights. I use Verifly for paid ones.

I am a part-time insurance producer. Your homeowners/renters policy will cover your liability up to coverage limits minus your deductible. If you do have a personal umbrella policy, it will only pay if the liability amount exceeds your homeowners coverage. Typically umbrella policies, well very inexpensive, will only be approved if your underlying (homeowners/renters) policy has higher liability limits, normally $300k-$500k.

It surprises me that there are that many people who are not aware of the AMA. $75/yr buys you $2.5 million liability coverage. I believe it is only for hobby flying and it is secondary to other liability policies that you may own (ie homeowners insurance) but it may be what you are looking for. And, no, you do not need to fly in AMA sanctioned fields only.
www.modelaircraft.org

I will certainly look into that! Thank you

Homeowners plus umbrella and you're good.

Did you verify with your insurer?

My policies don't explicitly list drones but there is personal liability coverage from personal property.

OK, I checked with AAA for my homeowners and umbrella and they said it doesn't cover "aircraft." I guess I should have asked if it made a difference if the aircraft is under 1 kg (like the Mavic 2 Pro) and whether I'm using it for non-commercial use only.

Last edited:
I am a part-time insurance producer. Your homeowners/renters policy will cover your liability up to coverage limits minus your deductible. If you do have a personal umbrella policy, it will only pay if the liability amount exceeds your homeowners coverage. Typically umbrella policies, well very inexpensive, will only be approved if your underlying (homeowners/renters) policy has higher liability limits, normally $300k-$500k.

Does it have to explicitly list drones among the items covered or is it under personal liability or personal property, that is liability caused by personal property other than cars or watercraft, which are usually spelled out?

And would homeowners/umbrella policy cover incidents in other countries? Because it doesn't appear in the US that there's a requirement to carry liability insurance but several countries do seem to explicitly say you must have liability insurance.

Have you actually submitted claims?

Does it cover flights outside the US?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King