DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lifejacket for Mavic Finished

Since I do not have a printer I modified Dragonfly's files to create a one piece floating gear and printed it on Shapeways. I added some trunions in order to add ruber bands around the Mavic to make sure this floating gear could survive a hard impact on water (at least more chance that the mavic would stay along with the floating gear and not sink). The item is available here : Floating Gear by meens on Shapeways

If you register with Shapeways you can download the stl file. There is also a test flight video where I landed the Mavic in my swimming pool. The noodle lenght is 13 cm.
Vincent

Orange noodles would be better, better. Plus the ends could hold an LED under green and red domes.

Reactions: Justrbloke
Thank you for this OP - I printed your design and successfully used it over the weekend!

Reactions: Dragonfly
Since I do not have a printer I modified Dragonfly's files to create a one piece floating gear and printed it on Shapeways. I added some trunions in order to add ruber bands around the Mavic to make sure this floating gear could survive a hard impact on water (at least more chance that the mavic would stay along with the floating gear and not sink). The item is available here : Floating Gear by meens on Shapeways

If you register with Shapeways you can download the stl file. There is also a test flight video where I landed the Mavic in my swimming pool. The noodle lenght is 13 cm.
Vincent

Your noodles are only 13cm long and it holds the Mavic a float? Are they solid or hollow noodles? Anyone test with hollow and what shortest yet safe to float would be in length. 13cm just sounds awful short.

Your noodles are only 13cm long and it holds the Mavic a float? Are they solid or hollow noodles? Anyone test with hollow and what shortest yet safe to float would be in length. 13cm just sounds awful short.
Typing error sorry, I meant 23 cm and the noodles are solid.

Item is 3 D printable by using this file from Thingiverse.
Mavic water recovery system attachment ¯\(ツ)/¯ UNTESTED! by NoeI

You will need to find someone who would be willing to print it for you.
I was looking at this and it looks like there is now a v2 but I cannot find the center mounting bracket, is this only the noodle holders? I am looking for the print file of the entire system, if somebody can point me that way it would be much appreciated.

Thanks I just had my buddy print it up for me! Does anyone know what egg shells he got for the tips of the floats?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 117
Just wanted to give an update. I ended up epoxying the connections as I was afraid an arm would come off with a tough landing.

I also tied fishing line around the caps and secured them to the landing gear. If I crashed in the water, the Mavic would sink but still be floating by the bottles.

The weak point to the system is the front hook that goes on the bottom it is just a small tab of plastic.

I also used 33 oz smart water bottles they are plenty buoyant and I think they look a little better than the pool noodles. I think if I crash with these I will definitely be able to get it back for my refresh warranty.
50cdeb7fe1b5592ee1cef87ee06eda49.jpg
2e8fc8414e20a98084e0eb61516f4163.jpg
ba96a70b03c2920aefb126cb9cd82fe8.jpg
b7ade7bba51f68d00fa7408a22090a07.jpg
669be0409541151d00e7a255719803fe.jpg
7ad09137bbb3533be64794895beb3486.jpg

Super weak point in that small tab. I printed the base piece and when test fitting just the base . I attempted to carefully take off the base and "snap" that front tab was toast! Scrapped the idea of making a functional flotation device for my Mavic as a result.

Looks like someone did some Acetone smoothing. :p

Reactions: newguy
hi ya dragonfly the life jacket are you selling these? i really could do with a set of these . please advise thanx

I would buy one if someone were making and selling them. The only other flotation devices I've seen look like like big Styrofoam balls, not as cool looking as these.

I have been making and selling a float kit for Mavics.
Put a ton of work into the design so as not to interfere with the sensors or camera, and fast easy install/removal.

Currently working on squishy floats so the whole thing can fit in the Mavic fly more bag with the Mavic
495700648.jpg

I have been making and selling a float kit for Mavics.
Put a ton of work into the design so as not to interfere with the sensors or camera, and fast easy install/removal.

Currently working on squishy floats so the whole thing can fit in the Mavic fly more bag with the Mavic
495700648.jpg
Love the squishy idea. Subscribed.

I like the floaty idea, but what about the wind drag?

Geez...these are all great inventions, but I must say, if I saw some of them flying towards me, I might be thinking 'modified UAV delivering a bomb'. Maybe paint 'Not A Bomb' in big letters on the side? LOL

LP

I like the floaty idea, but what about the wind drag?
When it comes to flying you can't get something for nothing.
Biggest issue here is actually weight. Although the kit is very light sonis the drone so the extra weight does shorten flight time.

As far as drag goes it's not as bad as you may think. For starters round is more aerodynamic than the rest of the drone.
I have flown in 35mph winds with this kit with out issue.

Nice thing is they go on and off so easy that you only need to put them on for water flying. Of course they work well in sand and snow also.

Reactions: Dragonfly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman