DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lifejacket for Mavic Finished

Nice bro! Try another shape for the water landing gear. Maybe a more oval profile would give it less drag to the landing gear, therefor less shaking when hovering

Flight testing with my 3D Flotation Undercarriage.
No severe effects to handling characteristics, no significant battery drain or loss of flight time. Some slight instability in gusty wind conditions due to the 'noodle' cross section, but thats to be expected.
The main issue I have experienced on about 50% of my flight testing has been an uncommanded climb during various phases of flight. I suspected this to be interference within the FOV of the downward sensors giving a false indication of an object beneath the drone. Initially I simply overcome this by switching to 'Sports Mode' and as with ANY general sensor related uncommanded issue experienced on my Mavic, the 'Sports Mode' switch is the single quick escape option to regain control.

Longer term, having investigated further, I overcome the uncommanded climb issue by simply disabling the 'Precision Landing' system in the 'Advanced Sensors' page. This actually works better overall for operating from a RIB/Boat as it prevents
a. Drone from Auto-Landing (without slide bar confirmation from a 6ft/1.5ft hover)
b. Drone from climbing away when placing your hand beneath it during a 'Hand Recovery' option.

is the hardware being used from this?

Mavic water recovery system attachment. by NoeI

Yes, had the undercarriage 3D printed from that file then purchased a noodle and did some trials on optimum length to avoid camera FOV. I've wirelocked the noodle through the 3D bracket end clips to secure in place.

Can you give the IDEAL length you have come up with and how much is on the front side and how much is on the back side on each end of the brackets ?

Also any chance a pict can be shown on the wirelock on the bracket ?

I had a buddy print me the same setup 3d printed for $15 plus what ever the noodle and covers may run me. He did a trial run and fit perfect. Just waiting on the bracket arms which I pickup Monday due to my schedule.

The plastic he used is red but I can live with it if it can prevent a bad situation when filming over water.

Reactions: Dragonfly
Ive finally found the last pieces to complete the water landing gear for Mavic Pro. After much searching I found a egg type plastic shell that held a toy that split in half to open and was the perfect shape and size to fit in the ends of the noodles to make them more aerodynamic. This gives the water landing gear a better look and remains lightweight at 100gms.
The water landing gear will hold up over 1kg of weigh with ease and the Mavic at 730 gms sits in the water at about a third of the noodles.
Now very happy to fly over water knowing should anything go wrong my Mavic wont end up at the bottom thanks to its lifejacket/water gear.
7474a2ad2fa72ddb0bd22b2f0657d4a6.jpg

a34018e9dba926f5bb6d42f2d9b979a5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900I using MavicPilots mobile app
Good Stuff!

I want one with zebra stripes!! Come to think of it - a small battery inside the foam and two props at the end of the plastic dome - Please shipo one to me ASAP - what, 2 weeks you say???

Awesome!! IPO coming for sure!!!!

That's the ticket Thumbswayup
Now that you can potentially land safe in water you either have to swim or have an inflatable boat packed with your gear ! The only rc I want near water is my proboat :D

Filming over water is going to be a major thing I do, thanks for making this man, plan to 3d print it tomorrow!

Reactions: Dragonfly
Can you give the IDEAL length you have come up with and how much is on the front side and how much is on the back side on each end of the brackets ?

Yeh sure. I'll take some pictures and measurements when I'm home from work later and post them back here for you.

Reactions: Spanishcop

Hi, as requested please find attached some images of my 3D flotation recovery undercarriage to give you an idea of measurements and wire locking.
I drilled very small holes through the plastic clips to pass the wire locking through. It was simple to push through the noodle without any need for holes or heated wire.
The only addition to this when mounted to the Mavic will be the use of either a Velcro strap or a plastic zip tie across the undercarriage at the rear area next to the rear mount clips to prevent the 3D attachment flexing out of the rear slots on impact.

Hope this helps.IMG_8381.JPGIMG_8382.JPGIMG_8383.JPGIMG_8384.JPGIMG_8385.JPG

Hi, Ive just had my 3D mounts printed off and did a test flight today with the same set up (minus the egg domes). A few questions if you don't mind. Did you work out an optimal length for the tubes 1. For remaining clear of gimble/camera FOV and 2. For remaining clear of any sensors. Also do you fly any of the sensors disabled or can you have everything turned on as normal. I found that basic flight was stable but the Mavic kept going into an undemanded slow climb with no stick input which I could only put down to the downward sensors detecting an obstacle! I could quickly overcome this by switching to sports mode to regain stable hover height. Slightly confusing because the 3D bracket and noodles are not (in my mind) anywhere near the FOV of the downward sensors but as soon as I removed the Noodle tube and flew with the 3D bracket only everything seemed to be back to normal with no interference. Having read the thread, I cant find any mention of sensor modes being deactivated etc so just wondered if you have seen any similar behaviour? Thanks
I did not turn off any senors in any of the tests. All sensors including landing avoidence sensor were on even in water test and not once did I have any odd effect due the floats been attached. All sensors still worked as normal as shown in video when I put my hand under Mavic. I dont know what colour pool noodle you used, but maybe it has something to do with it and the blue I am using is a natural part of the spectrum that doesn't interfere with light reflection on the bottom camera's or the diameter is exactly 50mm solid while most noodles are 55mm while hole in center and the extra fatness is making a difference. Interesting?

Nice bro! Try another shape for the water landing gear. Maybe a more oval profile would give it less drag to the landing gear, therefor less shaking when hovering
No need. It does not shake when hovering. If you read my comment the shaking is due to my shaking fingers on the sticks as I was vey nervous first time with my investment over water. Downunder here we cant get DJI care refresh and to ship back for repair is outrageous, so its DYI for us if things go wrong.

I would like to see when someone combine this with rails similar to what Phantom has suitable for safe hand catching on moving platform (i.e. boat) . I feel that if if I hold it for either left or right side it will de-attach easy. Also connection of base plate doesn't look reliable for hand catching in mentioned scenario.

I think for that it will require a brace going over top of mavic. I ordered an awesome 3d printer and plan to make a lot of accessory options for Mavic, bit I have a 10 week waiting period to get it. Nice thing is it handles just about any of the 3d materials available. I'll play around once I get it and look into something for catching it by hand.

I think for that it will require a brace going over top of mavic.
Absolutely. That's was my idea. Looking forward to see what you create, meanwhile I plan to order print service from the UK for these parts and do some workaround with plastic stripes and glue, since trolling ;) season is opening soon.

Absolutely. That's was my idea. Looking forward to see what you create, meanwhile I plan to order print service from the UK for these parts and do some workaround with plastic stripes and glue, since trolling ;) season is opening soon.

I'm also gonna try to make a plastic flotation device that is hollow out of the plastic instead of the noodle and have it attach to the plate to interchange with other options like skids, etc. Can't wait to get creative with this printer lol.

Very nice well done !!!! What's the flight time and can you post a video of it landing in water ?

I've only found the hollow noodles. What length are you using on the noodles? 10 inches each?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569