DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Lightning Strikes - Again and Again

I'm interested to see how it compares to the enhanced one, especially the noise aspects. Post it low res if you think I want it to copy it. :)
Hey, that thought never crossed my mind. It's just that I rarely share my original images, since I am a professional photographer. However, I will share it, and I will tell you how I processed it. In the video footage, the scene was much brighter than it actually was, in fact our exterior lighting had turned on due to the dark skies. In post, I corrected the brightness/contrast and color balance to better reflect what I was seeing, and I also created several masking layers to remove the sensor readout scan lines that occur near the lightning bolts that are artifacts from the video process. Lastly, I applied Topaz Denoise to remove noise in the sky.Lightning 6 Grande.jpg

Hey, that thought never crossed my mind. It's just that I rarely share my original images, since I am a professional photographer. However, I will share it, and I will tell you how I processed it. In the video footage, the scene was much brighter than it actually was, in fact our exterior lighting had turned on due to the dark skies. In post, I corrected the brightness/contrast and color balance to better reflect what I was seeing, and I also created several masking layers to remove the sensor readout scan lines that occur near the lightning bolts that are artifacts from the video process. Lastly, I applied Topaz Denoise to remove noise in the sky.View attachment 166148
You did a great job on the scan lines clean up. My only thought is that the edited version has somewhat increased the blueness of the clouds considering they appear more grey in the original That said, I wasn't there so.... :)

Reactions: rickmurray1989
True, it probably did a a bit... However, the skies were blackening so quickly that things went from grey to indigo within minutes. By the way, I used the same video capture/frame grab to photograph fireworks at a recent event... BTW, I was the only one flying by the rules, go figure... Here is one of the processed stills.Fireworks 38-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for publishing, good outcome. I'd not considered video for capturing fast events due to quality, but you have shown us how. Thank you, I'll give it a go.

That looks pretty amazing!! The color and the lighting of the cloud is fantastic. Literally coming down from the heavens.

I got something similar the other day that looked red. Good idea to stop and start video. I let mine go at 4k 24 fps the entire life of the battery. Took forever going through using vlc to get stills from about 25 strikes. Turned out the best one was within the first couple of minutes!! I will share my shots in the next few days.

I had an idea to superimpose a series of stills better represent the entire strike. I will have to fool with Photoshop...I think layers would work for this. I have only been using lightroom up to now.

That looks pretty amazing!! The color and the lighting of the cloud is fantastic. Literally coming down from the heavens.

I got something similar the other day that looked red. Good idea to stop and start video. I let mine go at 4k 24 fps the entire life of the battery. Took forever going through using vlc to get stills from about 25 strikes. Turned out the best one was within the first couple of minutes!! I will share my shots in the next few days.

I had an idea to superimpose a series of stills better represent the entire strike. I will have to fool with Photoshop...I think layers would work for this. I have only been using lightroom up to now.
Try Davinci Resolve, free version, super awesome. So good, I bought it.

Reactions: maggior
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman