DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of Sight - Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, has this thread now gone off-topic to become another endless back and forth about the FAA Drone-ID Proposal?
Thank you for bringing this up and not sure how it has went this far .
To all.
This has wondered off what it started out as and needs to get back closer to what it started out about.
Let's try and get it there from here out.
Thanks

Tell you what guys give me a few minutes and I will start another thread on that topic and you can have at it again. Let's just not let it go so far with the same stuff repeated over and over like the last thread. Many posters didn't bother to start at the beginning but just jumped in that.That made it hard to manage .
I will post a link to here for those that don't see it posted .
FAA Drone ID Proposal- Round Two

The thing that needs to be understood about the airspace regulators is that they, and this is a massive understatement, always err on the side of caution. They would not take much notice of a claim that there isn't enough data to suggest that drones are dangerous to others. Even a tiny little bit of data or evidence is enough to convince them that they are on point in terms of the regulations either already in place or proposed.

Furthermore, the airspace regulators are big on implementing rules designed to prevent or mitigate potential risks. This is how they work and will always work - period. There are some things, and the VLOS rule is currently one of them, that are simply non-negotiable with these guys - period.

Look, let me see if I can make my point crystal clear here. (pun intended) I spent 6 years as an air traffic controller in the military. It was my job to keep pilots safe and I don't need to be lectured on what's at stake or the need for reasonable regulations. However, there is NO data that even remotely suggests the need for a national database of UAVs--Period. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing here. And allowing the general public the ability to track down the exact location of the pilot or his UAV is ludicrous--Period. DJI's claim that the app they'll be releasing later this year is somehow beneficial to the pilot is also ludicrous--Period. Law enforcement has better things to do than to respond to what amounts to nuisance complaints--Period.

Despite what you think of my views, I am 100% concerned about safety.

Sorry @Vegas Flyer, my previous post seems to have been deleted. I incorrectly said that I had not quoted your post. I suggest that we will have to agree to disagree. I was generalising and made a point of not specifying the FAA.

In terms of knowing about how airspace regulators work, I have had direct experience in dealing with CASA as a board member of a Sports Aviation body. We used to have quarterly meetings with CASA.

As a country, we don't like the idea of a national database on our activities.

Reactions: MacCool
Fair enough. Can you refer to any associated Opinion Poll statistics?

I truly mean no offense, but if you lived here you'd know exactly what I mean. You can read the comments posted on this video to get a feel for how this is being received.

I truly mean no offense, but if you lived here you'd know exactly what I mean. You can read the comments posted on this video to get a feel for how this is being received.

No offence was taken. But given your reference to a drone-related YouTube influencer, your statement should possibly have been, "As members of a group of people who watched one of Drone51's YouTube videos, we don't like the idea of a national database on our drone flying activities".

I'm suggesting that the above hardly represents the whole country.

We should stop this now because we've gone off-topic again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
We should stop this now because we've gone off-topic again.
Yes it has and don't see I can get it back so see no need in this to continue.
IMG_8764.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d