DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of sight

Davidr

Reactions
In Australia you must keep the drone in sight. As it is a small drone anyone got any ideas how to see it in the distance? Thought maybe fluro colours or even a reflective prism mounted somewhere. As i fly a phantom standard at the moment it isn't a problem as it can't fly out of sight.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

So at night the Mavic is WAY easier to see long ways away! I flew mine nearly 2,000' feet and the single GREEN LED on the back is crystal clear for a really long ways away!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think DJI made the single green led at the back bigger, brighter and facing straight back (instead of down like P4, 3) so the LOS is much easier. Up close the Mavic is hard to see at night.

I used to lose my P4 at night super quick. This Mavic seems like it's crystal clear!

Sadly its illegal here to fly at night

In Australia you must keep the drone in sight. As it is a small drone anyone got any ideas how to see it in the distance? Thought maybe fluro colours or even a reflective prism mounted somewhere. As i fly a phantom standard at the moment it isn't a problem as it can't fly out of sight.

i4ms6e.jpg

i4ms6e.jpg

Plasti Dip it with one of the fluorescent colors offered. If it does not help with LOS then simply peel off the plasti dip. Attach a mini strobe that uses its own battery pack.

Might be a way to tap into the 3S and run some mini led strips on the arms, as I've done on all my previous drones. I'll have to see if that is a safe option once I get it.

I have Lume cubes and there is no way those are going on a Mavic! Not without some tricky 3D printing

Wouldn't be surprised if someone's already working on it. We'll definitely see them flying around on Mavics very soon I'm sure.

Where are links to laws saying you can't fly at night?

Reactions: Romi
Where are links to laws saying you can't fly at night?

From FAA website: "You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots)."

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

FWIW, part 107 does not apply to hobbyists. For hobbyists, you just have to keep it in line of sight. I don't exactly know how it can be in your sight at night though. All you'll really be able to see are the lights if you're flying in the dark.

Reactions: Romi
I don't know if "VLOS with the lights" is even a thing. Then again, I've never seen the FAA say it wasn't acceptable. There are no street lights where I live, so just seeing the lights flashing wouldn't be the same as flying during the day. I'd definitely hit a tree since they are not lit up. However, I guess it would be different story if you're flying in a wide open field.

This is a strobe that others are using to meet the dawn and dusk lighting requirements:
UAS DJI Drone LED White Strobe Light for Quadcopter RC Aircraft FAA Required for Navigation
by Firehouse Technology
Link: http://a.co/97pY9b1

They are mentioned in the part 107 rules for flying up to 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset. See on the FAA web site here.

FWIW, part 107 does not apply to hobbyists. For hobbyists, you just have to keep it in line of sight. I don't exactly know how it can be in your sight at night though. All you'll really be able to see are the lights if you're flying in the dark.

I did quote from 107, however for hobbyists as well - again from the FAA website, and you all acknowledged this when you registered with the FAA.

These are of course "guidelines".... which I think adds to the confusion.... guidelines vs actual laws on the books...

FAA Acknowledgments of Safety Guidance (Check All) *
I will fly below 400 feet
I will fly within visual line of sight
I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: www.faa.gov/go/uastfr
I will not fly directly over people
I will not fly over stadiums and sports events
I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports
I will not fly under the influence

Drone Registration Form

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals