DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of Sight ?

Since then OP is new to drones and regulations, start with the FAA requirement and laws for recreational fliers because there are rules beyond just line of sight. Recreational Flyers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations

By the way, the FAA classifies the flight as for fun or recreational purposes or not. It doesn’t specify making money as the difference. That said , as noted , lots of topics on this in the rules and regulations section of this forum.
thanks for the link.

By the way, the FAA classifies the flight as for fun or recreational purposes or not. It doesn’t specify making money as the difference.
Based on what I've read, I don't see what dirkclod suggested ("I take pictures all the time as a hobby flier of freinds houses and they blow em up and fame them. Is a good gesture to") as 'flying for business, a commercial enterprise, non-profit work, or for educational purposes'.

I am new to flying drones - just got my Mavic Air 2 and love it - I have been watching tons of videos to learn more about techniques, and flying in general - I am curious about something and wonder if someone can fill me in? Don't flame me if this is a stupid question - it isn't the first time or the last time I have asked a Stupid Question -

Anyway - when I registered my Drone with the FAA - I read that flying a drone is restricted to line of sight - but then I see all of these videos where pilots are flying their drones miles away - clearly not line of sight - are they able to do that because they have a more advanced license or is there some other reason ? Just curious.....
In Canada it’s 500 meters line of sight, we have two levels of licence BASIC & ADVANCED, The rule of 500 meter rule applies to both.

In Canada it’s 500 meters line of sight, we have two levels of licence BASIC & ADVANCED, The rule of 500 meter rule applies to both.
Just curious, can you point out where you found that 500m reference?
  • 901.11 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system unless the pilot or a visual observer has the aircraft in visual line-of-sight at all times during flight.
  • (2) A pilot may operate a remotely piloted aircraft system without the pilot or a visual observer having the aircraft in visual line-of-sight if the operation is conducted in accordance with a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued under section 903.03.

Based on what I've read, I don't see what dirkclod suggested ("I take pictures all the time as a hobby flier of freinds houses and they blow em up and fame them. Is a good gesture to") as 'flying for business, a commercial enterprise, non-profit work, or for educational purposes'.

To be clear, I wasn't making any comment on the act dirkclod mentioned. It was more a general comment. If geared towards anythingmaybe the statement that you can take pictures "as long as you don't charge" as charging is probably not the defining element.

The text you have " 'flying for business, a commercial enterprise, non-profit work, or for educational purposes" is not the legal definition, although the FAA does use that in step 1 of their decision tree to see if you are a Part 107 flyer or not.

The law at this point simply says that "it is either "hobby or recreational use", or not. Leaves a lot of unknown. The FAA has clarified on a website with "Recreational or hobby UAS or drone use is flying for enjoyment and not for work, business purposes, or for compensation or hire. In the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, the FAA relied on the ordinary, dictionary definition of these terms."

Somewhere they clarified the dictionary definition for hobby as “a pursuit outside one’s regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation” and “recreation” as “refreshment of strength and spirits after work, a means of refreshment or diversion.”

I am not lawyer but I would think the taking pictures of friends house and giving it to them certainly could be something you do for fun and would fall under recreational and not be part 107. On the the other hand, if I took a picture of a friends house so that he gave to the realtor to help sell the house, that is a little more grey. All I'm saying, making money isn't the sole differentiator. We've got a whole forum section on this site for these rules and regulations, so I won't clutter this post anymore with it.

Money is but one FACTOR that removes the PROTECTIVE Hobby/Recreational Bubble. If any portion of the flight is NOT solely for Hobby/Recreation of the OPERATOR the flight is no longer HOBBY/RECREATIONAL and defaults to Commercial/Part 107 or Public Use (Emergency Services etc).

You can NOT "HOBBY/RECREATE" for someone else regardless of the exchange of money or not. If your INTENT of the flight is to produce something for someone else the flight is NOT HOBBY!!

Now if you fly as a hobbyist for YOUR recreation and you take a picture that someone else might appreciate or even want to purchase you are within your rights to give/donate/sell that image because you ACQUIRED it legally. The FAA doesn't care what you do with the DATA you collect it's the INTENT OF THE FLIGHT the determines what set of rules you'll be held accountable for.

Hobby/Recreation is an ALLOWANCE or a Protective Bubble from Part 107 and if any portion of your flight or INTENT of the flight pierce that bubble then you are, BY DEFAULT, operating under Part 107 and held accountable for those rules. Hobby/Recreation is easily pierced. . . .

Thanks for clearing that up Allen. Thumbswayup Thumbswayup

I would suggest that you DON'T use the videos that you see on you tube or this forum as a guide to whats legal. All of the people flying the drones that recorded those videos had spotters in place along the route. ?
Which does not satisfy the legal requirement of VLOS.... only the pilot’s VLOS counts.

How many spotters would you need to have to see a drone less than a foot long that is several hundred feet in the air that is being flown 10KM or several miles ? Just curious how that would work.....?
?????

Thanks - of course, I should have remembered that the US is a small part of the Drone World - watching the videos I have seen -= many both in the US and internationally - I would love to get more information about what is "legal" in the US regarding Line Of Sight" and what isn't - what licenses are required - if any - and so on. if anyone can share their experience, it woiuld be appreciated.
Have you downloaded and installed B4Ufly and Kittyhawk? Both are essential. Kittyhawk will get you permissions to fly in some restricted air spaces around some airports. Also, Download and install UAVForecast. Use that also, every time you fly. Finally, if you want to get and keep a record of your flights and flight time, download and install Airdata...and then get the "token" to link it to whatever control software you use. Airdata will also allow you to enter flights that are not automatically or manually linked.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrLatte and Geekser
Have you downloaded and installed B4Ufly and Kittyhawk? Both are essential. Kittyhawk will get you permissions to fly in some restricted air spaces around some airports. Also, Download and install UAVForecast. Use that also, every time you fly. Finally, if you want to get and keep a record of your flights and flight time, download and install Airdata...and then get the "token" to link it to whatever control software you use. Airdata will also allow you to enter flights that are not automatically or manually linked.

Thank you very much - this is extremely helpful.

Today my drone went so small it went out of sight . then A alert " you have flown out of line of sight Warning warning " went off which took my attention to the screen . so I hit the RTH and found it again soon after. the air was very clear in the morning one way, but hazy the other direction.

Reactions: sharkface
Your spotter is required to be at YOUR location. Anything else is unlawful under hobbyist regulations.
I don't know if spotters can really keep an eye on a 5" FPV drone going 80+ mph. Also if I send my drone straight up to about 390 ft it's pretty much out of VLOS for me, honestly, but yet I assume it would be legal.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
Unlawful? where does it say "must have spotter?
Don’t read much do ya ? Read post #6. I can’t keep up with all the FAA #’s but
know you have to have a spotter if you can’t keep your drone in LOS. Now I have seen so many threads where they say they have
them strung out as I have read they have to be in earshot of you.
So that I really can’t say.
It doest affect me where I am or the way I fly but bet @Vic Moss
or @BigAl07 can tell you right off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143