DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Line of Sight ?

Have you done the TRUST "test"? Rules
Don’t read much do ya ? Read post #6. I can’t keep up with all the FAA #’s but
know you have to have a spotter if you can’t keep your drone in LOS. Now I have seen so many threads where they say they have
them strung out as I have read they have to be in earshot of you.
So that I really can’t say.
It doest affect me where I am or the way I fly but bet @Vic Moss
or @BigAl07 can tell you right off.
my test said "if you use a spotter . no where did it say "you have to have one " are in there. you do however have to have a spotter with FPV vision/ goggles.

Ok, so legally you can only fly about 200 feet away.
Yeah, it would seem to make control apps on smartphones pointless, except to see how your video or photo's turning out. And when you're looking at the screen, well...

Which is not to say that the VLOS rule isn't the best way to go, always. It's just the toughest to follow to the letter, and maybe the rule most frequently broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: hiflyer201
Straight from the FAA...

7.1.3.1 Visual observers need to be co-located with the recreational flyer, and able to
communicate directly
with the recreational flyer without the use of
technological assistance.

Straight from the FAA...

7.1.3.1 Visual observers need to be co-located with the recreational flyer, and able to
communicate directly
yes , buuttt !! if you are using an observer. from what was said on the test ...

Straight from the FAA...

communicate directly
It did not say an observer was a requirement??
Straight from the FAA...

communicate directly
not required unless the pilot is doing FPV or use of goggles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721-132332.png
    Screenshot_20210721-132332.png
    198.7 KB · Views: 2
Line of sight means you have to be able to physically see your drone at all times when flying. Since you have a MA2, you will be required in the USA to have a hobby license from the FAA, or a 107 license from the FAA if you plan on using the drone for any type of business concern or taking pictures or videos for anyone, whether you are charging for them or not.

The FAA has a drone section on their website with all of the info at FAA.gov.
I can physically see my drone while it is miles away from me

• Haha
Reactions: sharkface
I can physically see my drone while it is miles away from me
But if you fly the drone around the backside of a tree at that distance (or at any distance!), you need a visual observer to tell you whether the coast is clear on the opposite side of that tree.

Except your visual observer can't make himself useful by standing right next to that tree because he's supposed to be co-located next to you, from where he also can't see what's behind the tree. So what's the point of even having that observer?

You could be wearing FPV goggles or watching your video monitor with a perfectly good view of whether there's a bear hiding behind that tree. And/or your visual observer could be standing right next to the tree and communicating with you by cellphone or radio. But, oh no, that's not allowed since such new-fangled modern technology cannot be trusted to work as well as someone shouting instructions directly into your ear.

"Recreational model flying" historically meant flying circuits closely orbiting your local hobby club's flying field. Regulatory agencies seem to be having a difficult time understanding that technology has blossomed and already long ago moved well beyond that stage. Trying to force recreational flyers back into those historically restricted areas is never going to work.

Reactions: sharkface
But if you fly the drone around the backside of a tree at that distance (or at any distance!), you need a visual observer to tell you whether the coast is clear on the opposite side of that tree.

Except your visual observer can't make himself useful by standing right next to that tree because he's supposed to be co-located next to you, from where he also can't see what's behind the tree. So what's the point of even having that observer?

You could be wearing FPV goggles or watching your video monitor with a perfectly good view of whether there's a bear hiding behind that tree. And/or your visual observer could be standing right next to the tree and communicating with you by cellphone or radio. But, oh no, that's not allowed since such new-fangled modern technology cannot be trusted to work as well as someone shouting instructions directly into your ear.

"Recreational model flying" historically meant flying circuits closely orbiting your local hobby club's flying field. Regulatory agencies seem to be having a difficult time understanding that technology has blossomed and already long ago moved well beyond that stage. Trying to force recreational flyers back into those historically restricted areas is never going to work.
Oh also forgot to mention I can see through objects that are miles away too

How many spotters would you need to have to see a drone less than a foot long that is several hundred feet in the air that is being flown 10KM or several miles ? Just curious how that would work.....?

So let me put some common sense into this equation because you can fly your drone further than 200 Ft.

My average daily flight is 2500 Ft with clear line of sight , that means no trees in the way .

When I get a spotter , I have to lower the drone down to nearly 100 ft for them to even be able to spot the drone.
Than I am good for another 2500 Ft .

Now do i know for sure there watching my drone , No

So here is what I have gathered : If I were to smash into the Titanic or the Good Year Blimp im going to Court.

There will be me : with a new drone in the court room
My spotter will be the Pretty girl with glasses smiling

At this point I become painfully aware that no matter how many spotters i have < i am in deep...

This reminds me of how Critical it is that I am solely responsible for my flights , and Visual Line of sight is guideline and every pilot is going to pick and choose what they feel comfortable with,

Risk Takers : New drone pilots want to know that there drone is Capable of the Number that they see advertised as is when i get a new car or boat , thus you do everything you can to minimize risk.

Thus when you end up in Court because you ran into the Frakenstown Carnival Ride , you will realize that you did not do everything you could to Minimize Risk.

Now the real reason why I keep close Visual line of sight is something everyone on this Forum will deal with is the Bird Strikes , you can not get around them if you can not see them , Thus the # 1 Reason why you want VLOS so you can do everything you can to avoid them so you dont crash your drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water

Now the real reason why I keep close Visual line of sight is something everyone on this Forum will deal with is the Bird Strikes , you can not get around them if you can not see them , Thus the # 1 Reason why you want VLOS so you can do everything you can to avoid them so you dont crash your drone.
Well that's one of several reasons I want to maintain visual contact, BUT...the birds in my area that take an interest in the drone are hawks, and if one of them wanted to take the drone down I don't think I could maneuver it quickly enough to avoid it. They're pretty quick and agile flyers. I certainly wouldn't want to hurt or kill a hawk either in the process. I always avoid flying over houses, people or cars just in case.

If I start getting a couple hundred feet out and take my eye off the drone for a second to manipulate my controls for a video shot, I frequently have a devil of a time reacquiring visual on it. I put a firehouse strobe on it to help with that, but constant monsoon storms are keeping me grounded these days so I have not had a chance to try it out.

Keeping VLOS is a rule.

However, everyone I've seen on YT or that I've met in person takes that rule about as seriously as they take a speed limit. And, before people freak out at that statement, remember, you're also in violation if you take Hyperlapse videos and don't stare at the drone the whole time. You're technically in violation if you look down from the drone to change camera settings without a spotter. TONS of people set ActiveTrack, then concentrate on riding their bike or Jetski or skateboard or whatever - it's one of DJI's major selling features. You can't legally operate a FPV drone at all without a spotter.

The rules are insanely strict in places and vague in others. The FAA has set it up so they can find a reason to fine you if they want. Use common sense and don't fly beyond VLOS when you're not very familiar with what's in the direction of flight. If you get pinched for that, the industry is doomed. It's not fun enough to risk thousands of dollars in fines just to video some local attractions.

Keeping VLOS is a rule.

However, everyone I've seen on YT or that I've met in person takes that rule about as seriously as they take a speed limit. And, before people freak out at that statement, remember, you're also in violation if you take Hyperlapse videos and don't stare at the drone the whole time. You're technically in violation if you look down from the drone to change camera settings without a spotter. TONS of people set ActiveTrack, then concentrate on riding their bike or Jetski or skateboard or whatever - it's one of DJI's major selling features. You can't legally operate a FPV drone at all without a spotter.

The rules are insanely strict in places and vague in others. The FAA has set it up so they can find a reason to fine you if they want. Use common sense and don't fly beyond VLOS when you're not very familiar with what's in the direction of flight. If you get pinched for that, the industry is doomed. It's not fun enough to risk thousands of dollars in fines just to video some local attractions.
Can't fine me if they can't find me.

on the other hand.. when someone does confiscate an aircraft for other violations ? what then? they'll download your info which dji is amazing for their record keeping. then they may take you to court and inform you that " you may NEVER fly a drone ever again". it has happened before. but do what you think is right.... look up crash drone into space needle Seattle.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can't find you? You do know there are many "means" with which to locate and identify you should there be an incident? and "hiding" will not be nearly as easy in the near future as well.

@thispilothere

Can't take your eyes off the drone? or technically in violation if you look down from the drone to change camera settings without a spotter. Can you CITE those points in the FARs for me?
Actually you can't because they do allow a "reasonable" about of time for the UAS to be out of direct sight but they do not DEFINE what that is.
Here is an exert taken directly from the FARs
"must be able to see the unmanned aircraft "
Notice it says "Must Be ABLE to see" and not "remain fixated on the aircraft and never ever look away for any reason".
See section § 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation and pay attention to (a) specifically (but be sure to read the whole thing as many sections refer to others for support).

How about under ~44809 can you point out "can't take your eyes off the aircraft" for us?? Again it's not written like that.
(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

(Colors, bold, and italics added by me to emphasize the specific points of the regulations)

Another key point to know and fully understand is that having Situational Awareness (knowing about more than the small piece of air your aircraft is physically in) is a requirement so you are expected to look around and not solely fixate on "just" the aircraft itself. It's much more than "being familiar with the area in the direction of flight". Just knowing what's expected ahead is only a small portion of SAFE FLIGHT!

Reactions: dronerdave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser