DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Linked - Gimbal Disconnected and SD Card Error

EvanK

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro that I've been using sInce January 2018 - with no problems. It has been a great unit - lots of long flights, some great video and photos.

Then today - after about 3 weeks since last used - I started it up for a short photo flight and immediately noticed that the cameral was out of focus and the gimbal not responding. I shut it down and took it back to my office to investigate - with it switched on and connected to my iPad mini. The status page on the DJO Go app showed that the gimbal was disconnected and that the SD card was full. Then various shut downs & startups and checking of the Mavic Pilots Forum - and also Google searches for clues on how to fix. There was a mention of an SD card error causing gimbal malfunction on one Forum entry.

Anyway, I started the unit up with no SD card installed - and the Gimbal worked. Install the SD card - and both errors return.

Took out the SD card (a 64 GB card that was about one third full), reformatted it using my Mac, and then re-installed - this fixed the errors. Then back to the photo shoot - and everything working.

I thought that this experience might be useful to others so I'm sharing it on the Forum.

EvanK - Perth, Western Australia, 20181028

Reactions: RBeaton
Thank you so much for posting this. This exact thing happened to me (even down to the same age Mavic). I was all primed to fly for a shoot, but things weren't quite right. I noticed that the compass wasn't calibrating and a "gimbal disconnected" message. My symptoms:
  • Tapping the screen wouldn't focus -- there was no function at all tapping it
  • I noticed a flicker on the screen every 2 or 3 seconds
  • The gimbal was rolling around like it had a mind of its own
I ended up scrubbing the mission and took 'er home to troubleshoot and research. So glad I found this. The Mavic started working normally again as soon as I took my SD card out. I didn't have to format the card, but I did have a few very long file names with saved by the LosslessCut tool. The file names included dashes and I think dots. I renamed these files to a shorter names, reinserted the card, and was back in business. (Too late for my shoot, but maybe tomorrow.)

Thanks again @EvanK!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi