DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LiPo question - controller batteries - leave them at full charge?

Maviac

Reactions
We all* know the concerns and advice about aircraft batteries and not leaving them at full charge for very long.

What about the controller? I‘ve not tended to pay a lot of attention to the battery level beyond charging when I get below 50% (or if I know I’m going to be doing a lot of flying in a day). By which I mean I’ve left it fully charged for long periods of time.

Is this a concern? Although I know that a full charge isn’t great for LiPos generally, I have figured that the aircraft batteries are subject to a lot more heat and discharge (stress, generally) so they need to be treated more carefully. I have left a lot of other devices with LiPos charged fully (and recharged, before I knew it wasn’t good) and some of them are now 10 years old and still work fine.

Should we be worried about our controller batteries or is this one of those “yeah, but not worth the bother” things.

*At least anyone who’s been reading this forum for more than 5 minutes.

The Tx doesn't have the same power requirements that the propulsion systems do so we can treat the Tx batteries a lot different than flight batteries.

The Tx doesn't have the same power requirements that the propulsion systems do so we can treat the Tx batteries a lot different than flight batteries.

That has been my assumption, but all other things being equal, is there going to be any discernible difference in battery life if I charge to 100% knowing I won’t be flying for a month vs. leaving it at 50%? Personally, I doubt it (as I said, I know the aircraft batteries are FAR more stressed every cycle). Looking at a, say, 5-year expected lifespan for the aircraft (I’m not going to be passing it along to my grandkids, but I don’t want to have to replace a battery prematurely).

Reactions: mereflyer
It's going to definitely make a difference on the Tx battery and long-term will shorten the life of the LiPo inside but it's rare we run the Tx LiPo to the extent if it's life anyway IMHO. The power drain is so much less and the Tx doesn't need the massive "Power Dump" like the propulsion system does. I've got Tx Lipo that are going on 4 years old and I really can't tell much of a difference and I've never cycled them or given them any TLC at all.

It's going to definitely make a difference on the Tx battery and long-term will shorten the life of the LiPo inside but it's rare we run the Tx LiPo to the extent if it's life anyway IMHO. The power drain is so much less and the Tx doesn't need the massive "Power Dump" like the propulsion system does. I've got Tx Lipo that are going on 4 years old and I really can't tell much of a difference and I've never cycled them or given them any TLC at all.
Thank you!

We all* know the concerns and advice about aircraft batteries and not leaving them at full charge for very long.

What about the controller? I‘ve not tended to pay a lot of attention to the battery level beyond charging when I get below 50% (or if I know I’m going to be doing a lot of flying in a day). By which I mean I’ve left it fully charged for long periods of time.

Is this a concern? Although I know that a full charge isn’t great for LiPos generally, I have figured that the aircraft batteries are subject to a lot more heat and discharge (stress, generally) so they need to be treated more carefully. I have left a lot of other devices with LiPos charged fully (and recharged, before I knew it wasn’t good) and some of them are now 10 years old and still work fine.

Should we be worried about our controller batteries or is this one of those “yeah, but not worth the bother” things.

*At least anyone who’s been reading this forum for more than 5 minutes.
i find that if i have flown on any day then i just leave the remaining charge in the controller whatever it may be at the time ,and then like the mav batts i charge the controller before i plan to go flying again as long as it is not very low,say under 25% that way you are not storing it fully charged,as i have 5batts for my mav i carry a power bank in my kit which allows me to top up the controller as i drive between shoots always like to keep it well charged during use just one less thing to think about

Reactions: BigAl07
I currently own 14 DJI remote controllers -- for various consumer drone models. I only charge them when I'm going to fly or back up to ~75% if the battery level drops to ~25% while they are in storage. None of the batteries have died yet.

I have one of those LiON jump start batteries which lets you start a car without using jumper cables. It works beautifully. However, my first one only lasted about sixteen months and then would no longer hold a charge. Because of the nature of what these things are supposed to do, you always have to keep them fully charged, but then don't use them for months on end.

I wrote to the president of the company and he replaced my unit even though it was out of warranty. The new one has lasted longer. However, now that I know about this possible battery life degradation from storing fully charged, I certainly will make sure my drone batteries aren't fully charged when I'm through flying for a few days.

Battery University Storage Guidelines

I have one of those LiON jump start batteries which lets you start a car without using jumper cables. It works beautifully. However, my first one only lasted about sixteen months and then would no longer hold a charge. Because of the nature of what these things are supposed to do, you always have to keep them fully charged, but then don't use them for months on end.

I wrote to the president of the company and he replaced my unit even though it was out of warranty. The new one has lasted longer. However, now that I know about this possible battery life degradation from storing fully charged, I certainly will make sure my drone batteries aren't fully charged when I'm through flying for a few days.

Battery University Storage Guidelines
I have one of those just start batteries that is going on nine years old now. Still worked last summer to start a little 4-cyl car that a completely dead battery. Mine is a Stanley brand bought at Sam's Club.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter