DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Listening to the neighbors

I’d back off right now, they’re big and bad enough to take your drone as an hors d'oeuvres.
I don't fly up anywhere near "their tree" anymore. It is not easy to see them without binoculars, the other day I lifted off to 4 feet and I think the sound of the propellers spooked one to fly, we've enjoyed listening to their high pitched calls and majestic bearing. I'm hoping one of those beautiful white tail feathers will drift on down to street level sometime. It has usually been two that perch up there, not nesting, just getting the afternoon sun and the view I'd guess. So yeah, I yield 100% to their presence and use other locations to improve skill levels.

Reactions: AJupstateNY
Never a doubt that you would not respect them. I envy you the fact you get to see that up close. I have never even heard of one in the Colorado Springs area. Falcons and hawks, yes, but no eagles. Many years ago I did live in Pennsylvania and rarely saw active eagles in the state. I guess last Super Bowl was their opportunity, eh? Badda boom, Badda bing.

very infrequently an Osprey may come around and hover a good 20 ~ 30 feet above the water and then fold the wings and jet into the water. Once saw an eagle get something in the water and then row with it's wings like a breast stroke 100 yards or so into shore to dine. Puget Sound has been rich in marine and dependent life, I think matters have deteriorated over the decades, we had smelt when we first moved her in '86, no more, even migratory birds going up and down the west coast flyway seem diminished in numbers. The eagles have come back strong since DDT was banned. There is concerned attention to the Orca residential pods in Puget Sound as to their reproduction and food supplies. One dam has been removed and restocked with salmon which should have healthy returns without obstructions.

very infrequently an Osprey may come around and hover a good 20 ~ 30 feet above the water and then fold the wings and jet into the water. Once saw an eagle get something in the water and then row with it's wings like a breast stroke 100 yards or so into shore to dine. Puget Sound has been rich in marine and dependent life, I think matters have deteriorated over the decades, we had smelt when we first moved her in '86, no more, even migratory birds going up and down the west coast flyway seem diminished in numbers. The eagles have come back strong since DDT was banned. There is concerned attention to the Orca residential pods in Puget Sound as to their reproduction and food supplies. One dam has been removed and restocked with salmon which should have healthy returns without obstructions.
Hope the returns all work. Can’t resist: when all those little fish died that must have smelt pretty bad. (BaDummm).

We see them here often. The other day I had just taken off, climbing straight up when I saw one approaching- SPORTS MODE, FULL DOWN STICK! Not only can they take you out of the air, but they were here first.

Did one of those birds have a tat. They might belong to some gang. Be careful.

I don't fly up anywhere near "their tree" anymore. It is not easy to see them without binoculars, the other day I lifted off to 4 feet and I think the sound of the propellers spooked one to fly, we've enjoyed listening to their high pitched calls and majestic bearing. I'm hoping one of those beautiful white tail feathers will drift on down to street level sometime. It has usually been two that perch up there, not nesting, just getting the afternoon sun and the view I'd guess. So yeah, I yield 100% to their presence and use other locations to improve skill levels.
The feather be nice but unless you are Native American the feather will have to remain on the ground or face arrest under Federal Laws. Me I didn't see a thing!

Don't pickup their feathers & display them. A game warden informed me you can get a heavy fine for possessing most birds-of-prey feathers because most are on the "protected species" list.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23