Join Us Now

Litchi fail-safes?

Kywon McCain

⭐Smooth Operator⭐
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I downloaded litchi
For the waypoints
I can't seem to find a function to select what happens when the rc connection is lost
I am also worried that the craft won't return to home automatically when the battery is only enough to do so
I can't find the failsafe settings anywhere
Where are they?...

Where? In the DJI Fly app.

Litchi, not. DJI Fly, yes.

Reactions: Kywon McCain
What are you flying? The settings for waypoints in Litchi is where you set your RTH at

Reactions: REStewart
In my opinion, the best way to use Litchi is to create missions on your computer rather than in the app itself. On your computer go to the Mission Hub Litchi Mission Hub
and on that page you will see a tab toward the bottom labeled "settings". It's going to look like the photo I'm posting below. If you haven't done so already, make sure you've created an account that you can access on your computer and on your drone.

As you probably know, Litchi can be more or less a substitute for the DJI Fly app. So in the settings on your drone make sure you set the RTH altitude so that your drone won't crash into anything on its way home. If you didn't know, the drone upon starting RTH will make a straight line home from where it is, so it will cross anything in its path. Make sure it will be high enough not to crash into something in that line [I had a near miss once, not setting RTH high enough, but my Mavic 2's sensors saved me].

I think you would benefit from watching the Litchi tutorials, if you haven't watched them already. It is useful to understand some of the nuances, particularly how the gimbal functions when you program missions.

Good luck.

1662401914492.png

In my opinion, the best way to use Litchi is to create missions on your computer rather than in the app itself. On your computer go to the Mission Hub Litchi Mission Hub
and on that page you will see a tab toward the bottom labeled "settings". It's going to look like the photo I'm posting below. If you haven't done so already, make sure you've created an account that you can access on your computer and on your drone.

As you probably know, Litchi can be more or less a substitute for the DJI Fly app. So in the settings on your drone make sure you set the RTH altitude so that your drone won't crash into anything on its way home. If you didn't know, the drone upon starting RTH will make a straight line home from where it is, so it will cross anything in its path. Make sure it will be high enough not to crash into something in that line [I had a near miss once, not setting RTH high enough, but my Mavic 2's sensors saved me].

I think you would benefit from watching the Litchi tutorials, if you haven't watched them already. It is useful to understand some of the nuances, particularly how the gimbal functions when you program missions.

Good luck.

View attachment 154343
Is it true that with the mini 2, it's not actually autonomous but rather digital thumbsticks are used when it's on waypoints?
I want it so that if I lose connection it will continue it's waypoints until it's finished or until it has to return to home from battery failsafe

Last edited:
It will use whatever fail-safe settings you made in the DJI Fly app. Those settings are stored in the drone.
If you're not sure then do a test with a Litchi mission and disconnect the controller during the mission when the drone is only about 100 feet away from. If fail-safe does not occur you still have time to re-connect and take control. Make sure you are in wide open space.
Before you start the test, open the DJI Fly app only and verify the fail-safe disconnect settings, then close the Fly app and open the LIcthi app and start the mission.

It will use whatever fail-safe settings you made in the DJI Fly app. Those settings are stored in the drone.
If you're not sure then do a test with a Litchi mission and disconnect the controller during the mission when the drone is only about 100 feet away from. If fail-safe does not occur you still have time to re-connect and take control. Make sure you are in wide open space.
The thing is I don't want it to return to home during connection loss if it's on waypoints

I want it to continue either until Battery rth kicks in or it finishes and comes back

Waypoints for Lichti are on the phone/device you are using so the mission would abort anyway when connection is lost. Some older larger DJI drones can store their own waypoints onboard but these are the the same as the route-planning Litchi or Dronelink mission waypoints.

Is it true that with the mini 2, it's not actually autonomous but rather digital thumbsticks are used when it's on waypoints?
I want it so that if I lose connection it will continue it's waypoints until it's finished or until it has to return to home from battery failsafe
Below is a mission that I programmed at home in my computer and flew days later. Once I pushed the on-screen button to start everything was entirely 100% HANDS OFF. You will note that on the screenshot below I have marked my home point. When the mission finished at waypoint 13 it rose to the designated altitude and flew directly over the homepoint and landed on it's own.

I don't think I've ever used Litchi for an autonomous flight programmed on my phone or tablet. My missions are ONLY done on the computer. The other advantage to programming on the computer is that there is an extension that you can load onto Chrome or Firefox that allows you to preview the flight on your computer. I wish I knew how to do a screen recording from my computer and could post what a mission's "virtual preview" looks like.

1662413469100.png

Reactions: Rudiger
That's the same way DroneLink works as the phone/devices manages the computations and sends virtual stick movements to control the drone. The problem is that constant communication is required between the controller and the aircraft. When that communication link fails the mission is aborted and the the DJI communication lost action take over automatically.

That's the same way DroneLink works as the phone/devices manages the computations and sends virtual stick movements to control the drone. The problem is that constant communication is required between the controller and the aircraft. When that communication link fails the mission is aborted and the the DJI communication lost action take over automatically.
I own DroneLink, but the setup and programming has always escaped me. I was not able to program a single simple mission successfully. That was some time ago. Hopefully things have been simplified as I think it has more finesse than Litchi when programmed properly.

I own DroneLink, but the setup and programming has always escaped me. I was not able to program a single simple mission successfully. That was some time ago. Hopefully things have been simplified as I think it has more finesse than Litchi when programmed properly.
They take different approaches to autonomous flight paths. I agree that DroneLInk has more finesse as it has more control points along a flight path. Waypoints are defined for control but path actions (previously markers) can be placed anywhere along the route to manage all sorts of changes.

They take different approaches to autonomous flight paths. I agree that DroneLInk has more finesse as it has more control points along a flight path. Waypoints are defined for control but path actions (previously markers) can be placed anywhere along the route to manage all sorts of changes.
Agreed.
The biggest problem I have with Litchi is the way the the camera/gimbal moves between waypoints. I would love to have smooth gradual transtions. And I may be doing something wrong, not understanding how it works, but the way the camera moves between the waypoints is too robotic for my taste. I know Dronelink does a better job of it, but there are so many details you have to program into every move. My ability to learn new software gets more and more challenging as I age.

Reactions: Capt KO
Autopilot was smooth as butter between waypoints, I used it a lot with my I1P, its sad that it no longer exists. I stopped using Litchi because they couldn't solve this smooth way-out problem. It made potentially interesting video clips useless. The Autopilot guys went off and established (or joined) Dronelink so probably took their smarts with them.

My experience with Litchi on my P3, P4, and MA is that with a Litchi mission loaded and executing, the drone is flying independently and will complete the mission even loosing the control links between the drone and controller.

Reactions: Lespaxvera
My experience with Litchi on my P3, P4, and MA is that with a Litchi mission loaded and executing, the drone is flying independently and will complete the mission even loosing the control links between the drone and controller.
Am I correct that those are the DJI drones which support onboard waypoints?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman