DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi: how to manually calculate above ground level for any waypoint

marklyn

Reactions
Litchi has a neat feature where, using the app, you can open a mission and edit all (or some) of the waypoints and make them "x" number of feet above ground level. Neat feature, but it always left me with a number above the waypoint(s) that didn't make sense to me. All of the calculations Litchi does is directly relative to Waypoint 1 elevation (presumably where your drone will take off from).
I had been trying for weeks to figure the calculations out so I could use a formula in the mission hub rather than the app where it's difficult to edit waypoints, move the slider to an exact altitude, etc.
My partner looked at what I was trying to do and figured out the formula in 5 minutes. **** him :)
Anyway, I posted the (long & short) formula below for anyone who would rather do this on a big screen in the mission hub over the small screen on your android or iOS device.

A = Waypoint 1 ground elevation above sea level

B = Waypoint 2 ground elevation above sea level
DA = desired drone altitude above B
--------------------------------------------------------------------
C = B + DA

To calculate the number that appears in the 'bubble' above the waypoint:
C - A = altitude relative to A (Waypoint 1)

Now, after looking over this for some time, I realized that Litchi already displays some of these calculations in the mission hub screen, and that I could use what they've already done to make it easier for me to program a specific waypoint exactly above ground level. The result is an *easier* formula for this:
A = Waypoint altitude above or below first waypoint (look under altitude of waypoint on mission hub)
B = desired drone altitude above ground level at that waypoint
Now do the math between A & B and that is the number you put into that waypoint's altitude

If A = a negative number then enter it as a negative number and then add B as a positive number. The end calculation will likely be a negative number (what would appear above the waypoint on the map).
If A = a positive number then enter it as a positive number and add B to that for your waypoint altitude!

In my opinion it would be nice if Litchi put this type of calculator on their mission hub site so one could individually calculate altitude above ground for any given waypoint. Some of the missions I fly will go over hills, into valleys or dry creek beds where I would want to go lower in that specific area, say 20' off the ground, to investigate closer. Using the android/iOS app is a bit cumbersome.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Some people probably already know this but there may be some folks out that (like me) that have been wondering about those numbers above each waypoint and also wanted to understand the mechanics behind them. Of course if I did something wrong in the way of explaining this or calculation-wise, please let me know! Also, calculations are based on information provided to Litchi via Google mapping/terrain information, so keep in mind that elevations could still be slightly off, keep that in mind if you're doing your own math.

Reactions: Rorywquin
Litchi can be set to calculate the waypoint height relative to ground using land data from google maps, so if the ground rises 20ft at waypoint 3 it will auto adjust the height, if the height drops it will again adjust the height relative to ground, as well as most of what you say in your post, take a look at this video

Reactions: Straykat711
Right. Like I said..."Litchi has a neat feature where, using the app, you can open a mission and edit all (or some) of the waypoints and make them "x" number of feet above ground level. Neat feature, but it always left me with a number above the waypoint(s) that didn't make sense to me." Also, using the second method to calculate exactly how high you want your drone off the ground is easier (for me) than using the tiny slider bar in the batch-edit screen and less cumbersome in my opinion. After doing the math myself those negative numbers in the altitude cloud above the waypoint don't make me anxious anymore.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2BUAV