DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi mission close call

This is my first Litchi mission since my Phantom 3 Pro.I always use mission hub (PC version) to plan the mission and Google maps for elevations.Never had any problems.Today I started the mission and everything was going smooth until I saw my mavic heading to a tree.I hit pause and the mavic stopped just a couple of meters from disaster.I checked again the elevations and obviously they where wrong!
Conclusion:NEVER trust Google Maps for elevations,always double-check the terrain with your own eyes!

Skip near the end for the tree of terror!!!
Read today that Google terrain elevations are only accurate to +-30 meters. Also it averages physical structures into the area so more developed locations are less accurate. It's more than just accounting for trees and shrubbery.

I would not necessarily blame google maps, I have noticed many times my mavics can be off by more than 50 or 60 feet, especially after long flights gaining and losing altitude.

I have seen both of my Mavics claiming they are at 30 or 40 feet high when returning from a flight when actually they were only a few feet off the ground. I have noticed this with both DJI go and using Litchi.

I think it's a barometric pressure issue but that is only my guess. I would not be surprised at all, if you attempted that same flight again it would clear the trees with ease. Now I am not saying to do that I am just saying I would not be surprised.

Cool video and nice save.

So maybe we should plan our elevations 50 meters higher than we would have.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J