DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Litchi - setting a waypoint based on Mavic2 position, i am also hoping it saves the heading and gimbal angle ( ie the framed shot)? HOW

TheDigitalDove

Reactions
Hi all
As i continue with my Litchi drill down, i am trying to set a flight path by assigning Waypoints as i fly and ensure the photo taken at that waypoint is as i have framed it when setting the waypoint with my mavic2pro control C1 button on the back. (GPS variance accounted for) . My two questions

1. If i reach the GPS coordinate, frame the shot and tehn save it with the C1 button on the back, what method must i deploy to ensure that this waypoint will replicate not just the GPS but the heading and gimbal angle as it is when frmed. I dont think it does so automatically and dont know if i can ensure that automatically in mission settings or must go through some manual actions list as maybe i could be advised here?

2. If i fly to a position , set the waypoint to focus on a poi and save, is there a quick way to move that poi as a way of moving the aircraft to reframe the shot without flying the mission to see how the shot loosk and guesswork from there?

Last edited:
a) Ur in LITCHI Right? - if so YES - all data regarding the disposition of the drone is recorded when you press the C button-
ie Altitude, GPS position co-ords, Direction of Drone, and Pitch of the Gimble.
… also Pressing C1 or C2 will Mark the location of alternatively the Waypoint or the POI.
b) by using the MAP (on yr Phone) - you can press and HOLD a POI to relocate it.
c) Once saved - you can go into Litchi Hub and do the same thing with the Mouse.

Litchi is very Versatile.

d) Ensure that you are using the correct POI option at the Waypoint. (in each WayPoint setting)

I hope I understand yr question fully -

Last edited:
Reactions: PunaPhantom
I am in litchi yes but not sure your method solves my problem entirely. I respond l to both 1&2 with your updated info considered

1) when in litchi and saving the waypoint will it replicate the photo onthennext flight .When i save the waypoint and set the action to take a photo will it get to the waypoint and adjust the gimbal to the angle it was when it was saved or must I manually also save the aircraft rotation and final angle manually to ge that same shot each time I fly that mission ?

2) when i set a waypoint to focus poi I don’t want to review the picture later and then try to estimate how to move the poi to reframe the shot and hope I get it right on the next flight . I would hope to find a technique whereby the aircraft is hovering in position and I can somehow get it to show me real time what the camera frames when I move or put in the poi for it to focus While it is hovering at that waypoint . Possible ?

Last edited:
Both will be as you want -
As long as you Play back your missions under the settings (Waypoint controlled)
...under general settings for the mission

Last edited:
Both will be as youi want -
As long as you Play back your missions under the settings (Woypoint controlled)
under general settings for the mission

Apologies i don’t fully understand? Am I correct that you are saying if I move the focus poi . I should just save , upload , and play again to see how it take pic ? I don’t see the aircraft move or the
Gimbal to reposition the camera if I am
At that waypoint and move the poi and then save it .

My Problem is that it might be at waypoint 35 , so if I must run it from the start again it’s not manageable for my intended goals and I sometimes need to tweak a focus poi a few times

Please be clear in what medium you wish to EDIT your Waypoints or POI's.

Adding new waypoints on the Phone while flying will be done consecutively - … so after point 41 you next waypoint when pressing C1 is 42.
If you wish to amend waypoint 35 - it will NOT be done by Literally Viewing the new Position -

However you may wish to create Position 42 close to where 35 is … and transfer the new data to 35. (Thereafter deleting 42)

If Ur in Litchi on your Phone...
Then if you already have a Completed mission saved - then you can only adjust your points manually.

The idea of "On the fly recording" is to plot your Correct mission - and slightly amend data after its saved.
You cannot (at this time tell Litchi to go to wp35 and then amend that position)

NOTES:
Most people plan their mission without ever even flying it. (On PC or MAC you would use the 'LITCHI Mission HUB' or 'Virtual Litchi Mission' (VLM) to do so.)

VLM is an AMAZING extra program that allows you to literally VISUALIZE in 3D the Litchi Mission on Google Earth.
So doing adjustments - is no further than a VIRTUAL FLy (not real)

You can look up VLM on these forums-

If Ur Really confused - then save yr Mission -
… head over to Mission HUB Litchi HUB. Load yr Mission but Make your Mission PUBLIC...
Then send me the URL for the PUBLIC Mission (AT the top of the browser)

Then clearly tell me what you want t o do -

Thanks for you patiences and my lack of specificity
I am a Mac user , and I use mission hub , as well as KLM but not VLM , which I assume is what i need to see the cameras eye of what i am trying to frame ? .

QUESTION 1 - using VLM on a MAC
Does anyone know if parallels for MAC will be sufficient with graphics via a virtual installation rather than the full apple "boot cmap" requiring me to reboot my machine into windows each time ?

---
QUESTION 2 - saving a waypoint and camera view using live aircraft position.
In my efforts above i am assuming that to save the waypoint correctly with both heading and gimbal angle the key is to set my gimbal settings to "Interpolate" which i hope will record all three settings when i fly to that location frame up the shot, and then press the C1 button on my RC to record the waypoint and picture as i see it on my screen at that point of the flight. Assuming a flight with just one waypoint for ease, i assume i will not need to manually add the heading and gimbal angle into actions so that it positions correctly for the shot?

QUESTION 3 - Using VLM
Using VLM i understand i will be able to see my virtual flight as if watching it on my screen viewer as if i was flying the mission and looking at the Screen attached to my RC and save that shot at the waypoint when happy with how it looks on VLM .?

Lets start Backwards
3) VLM is like Mission Hub - except it has some extra tools to work with Google EARTH PRO.
These tools are too good to NOT HAVE - so therefore I prefer VLM over Litchi hub.
Heres how that works. VLM (which contains Litchi hub) sends automatically your flight with some smoothing straight to google earth … and allows you to see a pretty accurate overview in 3D Moving with Direction and Pitch. - SO By making small adjustments on VLM - you can instantly see how minor changes improve the flight on Google Earth PRO - Before you fly it. Then once ready- Save on VLM- it updates the Litchi for download to yr phone to FLY.
But independently, You can do this all in Google Earth PRO see answer 1) - You get your view (3D) where possible and save a Waypoint.
...one after the other and then Export a KLM file (not klz) and import to Litchi Mission Hub.
- that's without VLM

So in VLM its kinda two way transfers between each program for fine tuning

2)As said Before Previously (TRY it) - Fly a Mission from Scratch on your PHONE … Click C1 as you go - Litchi records All co-ords - direction and Gimbal Pitch + Each gets Saved.
(… Im not 100% on the gimbal pitch angle - But 90% I believe so too)

- then after lets say 5 wp(s) are recorded, save and fly the Mission - …
it should replicate what you did.
You do not have to have POI's. (here Gimbal pitch will be recorded in the WP Box associated with interpolate)

INTERPOLATE FUNCTION on Litchi (as apposed to POI)
Then interpolate on each WP, just instructs Litchi to slowly change the Pitch Angle from Point to point.
(Just for clarity and the inner workings- DJI Can smoothly change the direction but not the Gimbal pitch. Litchi changes the Gimbal pitch and sends this info to the drone - therefore for certain Pitch actions its up to Litchi to stay in contact with the drone during the mission - especially in autonomous out-of-range missions)
DJI for the Drone will ensure that the data saved for Each Waypoint will reflect in the aircraft's attitude at the ACTUAL point. (Each WP STARTS the drone with those fixed positioning elements)
The ACTIONS ONLY work if there is NO CURVE at your waypoint.
if so then will carry out your instructions consecutively at the WP after stopping.
Remember Photos can only be taken if the video is not recording.
There is no Gimbal Pitch angle that I remember in Actions (on litchi)
However there is a Heading.
(PS I don't use Litchi that way - rather for a smooth nonstop flight - so for me I don't use actions )
Onc again pressing the F2 already records direction of the drone with a STraight Camera ahead - and Gimbal PITCH Angle. (Up or down)

1) I don't use Mac - … so if its not available (VLM) … Please refer to this other way to see the FLight in Google Earth then transfer to Litchi-
This is a Good reference...

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000