DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Live under Class D airspace

Deleted Member 997

Reactions
I'm new to UAS and wanted to see what everyone was doing if you live near an airport in controlled airspace. I want to just fly around my property like 10 or 15ft AGL to starting learning about the Mavic and log some time. The smart controller tells me I'm flying in Class D and be careful. Do people fly around their house under controlled airspace? or should I wait till I get my airspace authorization?

I have a practice area that is in the edge of 2 airport zones. FAA application got me 3 year clearance. It took about 2 weeks to complete the application and get the clearance. They were very helpful. Go to DroneZone to start.

I have a practice area that is in the edge of 2 airport zones. FAA application got me 3 year clearance. It took about 2 weeks to complete the application and get the clearance. They were very helpful. Go to DroneZone to start.
Thanks. I filled out an airspace authorization for my local area. just waiting to hear back from the FAA.

Many areas of controlled airspace are now part of the LAANC system and you can get fairly instant authorization using one of the LAANC-enabled mobile apps like AirMap or Kittyhawk. For those airports that haven't joined yet, you'll have to fill out the application at DroneZone, but you can ask for a wide-area authorization up to the published facility map altitudes, and have it not expire for a year or two as Thomas B mentioned.

I'm in Class D, very close to the edge of the airspace. My FAA authorization is now good until the end of the year. Back in the "old" system when recreational pilots had to call the tower my general, personal (not legal) rule, was that if I was flying above the tree line, I would always call the tower. If I was doing a test flight and staying below the trees, I did not.

Of course, legally I should have called even if I was flying 1 foot off the ground. So, legally and the best advice is you should wait until your FAA authorization comes through. However in practice, I would say it is pretty safe to do some test flights a few feet up and that was what I did. My thought was if an aircraft was flying below 20 feet 4.9 miles from an airport, it probably already hit at lesat one of my trees and the drone was the least of its problems.

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Municipalities have been creating "city airspace". Local police have been issuing fines and confiscating aircraft. You probably won't find this published or charted anywhere but buried in city ordinances and codes. As well as National and state parks.

Last edited:
Once you get your COA its not bad at all. Every time I wanna fly right outside my house I just give em a ring and ask for if its safe, as per my COA instructs me to do so.

I'm in class D. I apply for a recreational COA all-day, every day, for one month, up to 200 ft AGL, for a radius of 0.75 NM. It gets approved in 2-3 days. I don't see any requirement on it to ever call the tower.

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
I'm in class D. I apply for a recreational COA all-day, every day, for one month, up to 200 ft AGL, for a radius of 0.75 NM. It gets approved in 2-3 days. I don't see any requirement on it to ever call the tower.
They aren't all the same. Some facilities want to know each and every flight session (which makes sense). Some just don't want to bother with it.

Uhh well mine does so...im gonna keep calling. Every time I go in the air. Period. My reasoning is id rather not have some stickler or paranoid individuals harassing me and infringing on my rights.

Uhh well mine does so...im gonna keep calling. Every time I go in the air. Period. My reasoning is id rather not have some stickler or paranoid individuals harassing me and infringing on my rights.
Most towers won’t answer drone permission calls as they are advised to do by FAA. How does calling a tower prevent interactions with individuals on the ground near you? Just not following.

I'm in Class D, very close to the edge of the airspace. My FAA authorization is now good until the end of the year. Back in the "old" system when recreational pilots had to call the tower my general, personal (not legal) rule, was that if I was flying above the tree line, I would always call the tower. If I was doing a test flight and staying below the trees, I did not.

Of course, legally I should have called even if I was flying 1 foot off the ground. So, legally and the best advice is you should wait until your FAA authorization comes through. However in practice, I would say it is pretty safe to do some test flights a few feet up and that was what I did. My thought was if an aircraft was flying below 20 feet 4.9 miles from an airport, it probably already hit at lesat one of my trees and the drone was the least of its problems.
I live under a 0 height allowed by facilities map but 4 miles from a class E airport. Like you, I figure if I'm just over treetops at 90ft, I'm the least of MAS traffic, particularly when power lines cuts across traffic path 1 mile closer to the airport than me.

2 of my CoA's require this, the rest don't. Both are military airspaces. One is for the Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth and the other is Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls. They both require advanced notice, 24-hour check-in, and contact with ATC before/after operations, along with being able to be contacted during operations.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Most towers won’t answer drone permission calls as they are advised to do by FAA. How does calling a tower prevent interactions with individuals on the ground near you? Just not following.

Isn't this a "class D" focused thread? Im not sure what is difficult to accept or follow. That is simply part of my COA; to call before and after EVERY flight. FAA boys said to do it so I do it, and whenever I do (which is almost every day) ATC recognizes my name whenever I call and have always been friendly.

And it's not going to "prevent interactions with individuals on the ground near..." me, its meant to cover my own in case ANYONE tries to be cute and call in a drone circling the neighborhood or buzzing around. Why go through all the red tape of getting your license and obtaining COA's if youre not gonna follow through? LEOs of the area are also made aware if they were to call in a "suspicious drone" swooping about. I find it all rewarding that I earned the privilege to enjoy what I do. Being legally protected really makes the experience that much better.

2 of my CoA's require this, the rest don't. Both are military airspaces. One is for the Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth and the other is Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls. They both require advanced notice, 24-hour check-in, and contact with ATC before/after operations, along with being able to be contacted during operations.

Where I live, all COAs require that I call and be able to be called during flight ops as well. As tedious as it may be, I rather play it safe than give anyone a chance or reason to tell me not to fly. This hobby needs more individuals to model how it can be enjoyed responsibly. I'm not casting stones to anyone, just saying there are plenty of online articles detailing people being harassed/ticketed/sued for flying "illegally" (and sometimes legal).
Therefore makes sense to make a simple phone call and get in the air (assuming no active TFRs etc). Thats the ultimate buzzkill I imagine we all avoid: having to ground the bird.

I'm new to UAS and wanted to see what everyone was doing if you live near an airport in controlled airspace. I want to just fly around my property like 10 or 15ft AGL to starting learning about the Mavic and log some time. The smart controller tells me I'm flying in Class D and be careful. Do people fly around their house under controlled airspace? or should I wait till I get my airspace authorization?
I get the Class D airspace warning from my house, even though I am outside DJIs blue circle. I called the airport from the start and was told that I do not have to call every time I fly, just stay within the legal limits.
On one side of my house if I fly about 500 feet towards the airport I hit a wall, the drone stops. Any other direction I go there are no limits except our 400 feet. I also live near a hospital with life star helicopters coming
in at various times. I was recently told that if I call the hospital that those in charge of incoming helicopters would put you on an instant text message to inform you. I will find out if that's true.

Isn't this a "class D" focused thread? Im not sure what is difficult to accept or follow. That is simply part of my COA; to call before and after EVERY flight. FAA boys said to do it so I do it, and whenever I do (which is almost every day) ATC recognizes my name whenever I call and have always been friendly.

And it's not going to "prevent interactions with individuals on the ground near..." me, its meant to cover my own in case ANYONE tries to be cute and call in a drone circling the neighborhood or buzzing around. Why go through all the red tape of getting your license and obtaining COA's if youre not gonna follow through? LEOs of the area are also made aware if they were to call in a "suspicious drone" swooping about. I find it all rewarding that I earned the privilege to enjoy what I do. Being legally protected really makes the experience that much better.

Where I live, all COAs require that I call and be able to be called during flight ops as well. As tedious as it may be, I rather play it safe than give anyone a chance or reason to tell me not to fly. This hobby needs more individuals to model how it can be enjoyed responsibly. I'm not casting stones to anyone, just saying there are plenty of online articles detailing people being harassed/ticketed/sued for flying "illegally" (and sometimes legal).
Therefore makes sense to make a simple phone call and get in the air (assuming no active TFRs etc). Thats the ultimate buzzkill I imagine we all avoid: having to ground the bird.
Absolutely, great statement. I fly GA so I have a radio I can call tower while i fly at home. I'm under FW and Rotorcraft pattern. So it's good to have communication with the controlling agency

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde