DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 How do I do a hyperlapse with some motion blur?

Feek

Reactions
As per the subject really, I wanted to do a hyperlapse based around the little mini roundabout but it's too small and the Mini 4 gets confused with passing cars so I picked a nearby house. But this is too much like a stop/go video, it needs motion blur.

The camera was set at auto and I don't have any ND filters.

Thanks.

Reactions: GFields
first off you'll want/need to set things to Pro, not auto. Next you may simply have to get an ND filter set because you can only control the ISO and Shutter speed since the Aperture is not variable. Lock in the ISO to a low value like 100 and see what shutter speed you get and then choose an ND filter to give you a shutter speed that works for you. You'll have to do some experimenting but I'm sure there are also some youtube videos that will give you some recommendations for motion blur with moving cars.

For motion blur the shutter needs to be open longer but in auto mode it's trying to give you a crisp, clear shot based on the amount of light. ND filters act as sunglasses to reduce the amount of light so you can have the shutter open longer to obtain blur.

From your video, it looks like the bright sun was high in the sky. Perhaps near mid-day? Shooting earlier in the morning, or towards sundown or on a cloudy day will help reduce the light and produce better results. While you are experimenting and learning, let me suggest this. Get the drone in the air and while setting up your shoot, go to Pro mode and you will then be able to select your shutter speed. Keep selecting a slower and slower shutter speed until the shot begins to be overexposed and then you can back up a bit. During the day I have been able to get shutter speeds as slow as 1/3 of a second and produce nice results. After the sun goes down and you're able to set shutter speed at a full 2 seconds, that same area in your current video will really pop with light streaks of headlights and red trail lights.

Hope this helps.

Lower the shutter speed.

Reactions: sarahb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR9925