DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Location of Drone vs Controller (icon)

It can be due to compass or GPS error.

E.g. if the drone is place to the north of the RC but just 3 meters away. The RC is pointing towards the drone. All sensors are accurate but there is a GPS error of 3 meters in the drone's position, say, it's shifted to the west, the angular error will be 45 degrees and you will see what's shown in the OP's screen capture.

With the same magnitude of GPS error but the drone is placed further away, say, 10 meters from the RC, the angular error will be much less on the radar display.
Any such errors, however, are moot once the drone is in the air, and a few hundred feet away, which is where is the primary use of the relative location telemetry, and not on the ground, before launch, with the drone a few feet in front of you.

Iphone 11 Pro Max here. Mine worked fine for a week and now it just shows wrong data alltogether. When the drone is infront of me, the app tells me that the drone is behind me and vice versa. Its a bit of gimmick if you ask me

If you lose track of the drone via the icon, try rotating the drone during hover with the gimbal pointing back down until, in your sighted direction, your position alignment can be identified visually off the screen, and then turn your RC antennae in that reversed visual direction. Most times the signal icon seems to return within 2 to 3 seconds and you can continue to monitor it.

I have also given up on that icon. I use a non-cellular ipad mini 5, have tried the figure 8 and also linked the ipad to my phone via Bluetooth but still have issues. I now rely on the map to determine what direction the drone is facing relative the homepoint.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Iphone 11 Pro Max here. Mine worked fine for a week and now it just shows wrong data alltogether. When the drone is infront of me, the app tells me that the drone is behind me and vice versa. Its a bit of gimmick if you ask me
How far away is the drone from you when you see that indication? And how many satellites are locked? Are there any buildings close to you or the drone? It is an interesting topic, for feedback.

Reactions: boblui

It's no gimmick at all. I use it everytime to bring the drone home manually. In your case something must be off. I will look into it and have it fixed before flying.

I have also given up on that icon. I use a non-cellular ipad mini 5, have tried the figure 8 and also linked the ipad to my phone via Bluetooth but still have issues. I now rely on the map to determine what direction the drone is facing relative the homepoint.
Does the map still function if the smartphone is placed in Aeroplane Mode? I have not used the Fly map a lot so far; early days since the Air 2 arrived.

i am fairly newand have a M1P. What is figure 8's?

Your device compass is likely needing calibration by rotating it in a figure 8 repeatedly until it is correct. You can do this while it is attached to the RC and during flight. The Hall Effect throws mine off by 90° on my M2 midflight sometimes. I do the figure 8 and it restores itself again.
A question about figure-eights...
I know I can calibrate the compass on my phone by doing them, but I understood (for MA and MA2 at least) that the drone must be turned with it in vertical position after turning it flat. Here is my question:
Can I calibrate the compass by doing figure-eights with it in my hand? That would be much simpler.

A question about figure-eights...
I know I can calibrate the compass on my phone by doing them, but I understood (for MA and MA2 at least) that the drone must be turned with it in vertical position after turning it flat. Here is my question:
Can I calibrate the compass by doing figure-eights with it in my hand? That would be much simpler.
I haven't tried it but it is highly unlikely that you can. You do not need to spin the drone around it's axis when calibrating the compass. You can hold it with your hand, keep the drone on one side of your body and turn your body around. You can do it with just one hand.

Does the map still function if the smartphone is placed in Aeroplane Mode? I have not used the Fly map a lot so far; early days since the Air 2 arrived.

You might not get the actual "map" with streets and such, but you still get the position and distance. You can move around the map where you will be flying before take off to cache the maps as well.

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
Your device compass is likely needing calibration by rotating it in a figure 8 repeatedly until it is correct. You can do this while it is attached to the RC and during flight. The Hall Effect throws mine off by 90° on my M2 midflight sometimes. I do the figure 8 and it restores itself again.

I don't think this is a compass issue - if you look at the orientation of the controller and aircraft arrow they are approximately opposite, as they should be - it's just that the positions are offset sideways. That's an error in the relative positions, not orientation of the controller and aircraft. And in such proximity even slight errors in the aircraft and mobile device positions will show up as an offset like that.

Reactions: boblui and samt2