DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mad Mavic

Reactions
I'm curious if its possible to ignore the RTH and land at max distance from home, have someone to shut down the Mavic, change the battery, restart the Mavic, then the pilot take off and fly back. (yes I'm board LOL)

I'm aware this infringes on the LOS rule, but as one poster said, doesn't wearing DJI goggles, in a technically sort of way, keep you in the confines of LOS :)

I've located a remote area atop a hill providing unlimited LOS with respect to battery life. In the "likely" event Murphy's Law comes into play, I've also picked out five LZ's along the route :oops:

I do know that IF you can do that, the new landing spot will become the new HOME point. I am anxiously awaiting more comments because, I, too, would like to fly to a remote point on my property, land there, and then ride in my ATV to that point and be able to launch again from that point and even RTH then to that point. In recent attempts to try that when I get low enough to land I lose signal and the Mavic rises to come back to me here at the house. I just searched this topic in other threads. Using the option to set RTH at the drones current location seems to be the choice to make. You'd, of course, have to be sure you see a good spot to land directly below. You will lose signal and view so it might be an anxious moment as you HOPE the drone does go down right there as you lose contact. You find out when you arrive at that point. I'd really like to hear from some who have done this often.

Last edited:
Yes you can cancel/ignore the warnings and do a long one way flight. However taking off will be an issue, unless you fly from a high point, overlooking the eventual landing area.

In any location that is even remotely flat fly you will lose signal during the landing, and you will not be able to take of again. The friend who plugs in a new battery could re-bind the drone to another remote and fly it back to you.

I'm aware this infringes on the LOS rule, but as one poster said, doesn't wearing DJI goggles, in a technically sort of way, keep you in the confines of LOS :)

technically the DJI goggles are illegal in most cases/places. Either FPV is explicitly prohibited, or by flying with goggles, you are per definition NOT flying in LOS (you cant see the drone with your eyes)

Yes you can cancel/ignore the warnings and do a long one way flight. However taking off will be an issue, unless you fly from a high point, overlooking the eventual landing area.

In any location that is even remotely flat fly you will lose signal during the landing, and you will not be able to take of again. The friend who plugs in a new battery could re-bind the drone to another remote and fly it back to you.

technically the DJI goggles are illegal in most cases/places. Either FPV is explicitly prohibited, or by flying with goggles, you are per definition NOT flying in LOS (you cant see the drone with your eyes)
No, I think my goal is misunderstood. On my property, I want to fly to a distant location, initiate a landing from high where I have signal and can do that, let it land and lose signal as it descends, then drive to that point in my ATV and use the drone again, with a new battery or just new mission/flight from there, a new home point. The problem is being able to land there. I think I can click the icon "Making the current position of the drone the home point" and then it will land there with no signal as it descends. I've tried that in my front pasture all in view and it worked.

Sorry, didn't read you last post. I posted a comment but it's not relevant after reading that.

But I think it is unsafe because you know/expect it will lose signal during landing. You can only hope that it will land normally after that.

Reactions: radman
OP, I was thinking I answered one of your replies but it seems somebody else took over your discussion. Bummer, I deleted a whole piece of text for nothing.

No, I think my goal is misunderstood. On my property, I want to fly to a distant location, initiate a landing from high where I have signal and can do that, let it land and lose signal as it descends, then drive to that point in my ATV and use the drone again, with a new battery or just new mission/flight from there, a new home point. The problem is being able to land there. I think I can click the icon "Making the current position of the drone the home point" and then it will land there with no signal as it descends. I've tried that in my front pasture all in view and it worked.

first of all doing a flight like this might not be the best, safest or legal thing to do. Number 1 rule is keep it safe. you can test these methods first in LOS to make sure they work as expected.

Like you suggested to can fly to where you want to land, then swipe left and click "Home Point:Aircraft" to make a new homepoint. Then check on the map this new homepoint is correct, if so you can use RTH to land there.

Another way would be in advanced settings you can set the " Remote Controller Signal Lost" setting to "Land". Then you can just start landing and whenever you lose signal you just turn off the controller and it will continue to land. But only do this once you are above the landing site. When you change this at the start of the flight, then if you lose signal during the flight for one reason or another, the drone will start landing wherever it lost signal.

yet another method would be to just hover above your landing spot until critical battery level. Then it will just land where it is. If you want to push max range in open terrain, this might be the easiest way. but once it starts landing, you have few options left in case the landing area is not suitable.

Once the drone is down, pack up your stuff, get on the ATV and head over to the landing site. Then when you arrive you can make a new flight from that location (it will set a new homepoint when you start this new flight)

OP, I was thinking I answered one of your replies but it seems somebody else took over your discussion. Bummer, I deleted a whole piece of text for nothing.
me? sorry...:oops:

Laurens23, thank you for all that detail. Looks like there are THREE options. But I must admit it would be a VERY ANXIOUS moment when signal is lost, it starts landing and I can't see video on the screen. This is also a very good quick option if one is caught too far away on too little battery, finding a nice place to land and forcing the landing. Mad Mavic, I hope I didn't take over your question but also think with all these options discussed it may have answered your questions, too. I hope so. In your case I think I would have the Mavic select current location, over where you want to land, as the RTH spot, and then initiate RTH and see it start landing there. When signal is lost it should continue to land as that is the new RTH location. You could also set the option for it to land if signal is lost, either one, if you are directly over a good landing spot. When you can't see the result, you sure hope it is foolproof. One other conflict I see is if the drone wants to RTH when battery is low. I think then you'd cancel RTH while you still have signal and initiate those changes above to let it land right there. It can not, however, go up again from the ground unless you are close enough to have signal, communications between the two, again. So, Mad Mavic, which option do you think you will use?

Reactions: laurens23
Looks like there are THREE options.

there might be more that I did not think of or thought are not useful. For example he could also do the emergency shutdown when above his intended site, but I have a feeling he will not try that option.;)

there might be more that I did not think of or thought are not useful. For example he could also do the emergency shutdown when above his intended site, but I have a feeling he will not try that option.;)
Indeed. Even a fall into soft hay could damage the gimble or scratch the camera. However, a good case for that would be if you were across a lake and the RTH kicked in and you knew it could not back it across the lake. You could surely save the drone by finding a grassy spot, getting very low and shutting off motors.

Laurens23, thank you for all that detail. Looks like there are THREE options. But I must admit it would be a VERY ANXIOUS moment when signal is lost, it starts landing and I can't see video on the screen. This is also a very good quick option if one is caught too far away on too little battery, finding a nice place to land and forcing the landing. Mad Mavic, I hope I didn't take over your question but also think with all these options discussed it may have answered your questions, too. I hope so. In your case I think I would have the Mavic select current location, over where you want to land, as the RTH spot, and then initiate RTH and see it start landing there. When signal is lost it should continue to land as that is the new RTH location. You could also set the option for it to land if signal is lost, either one, if you are directly over a good landing spot. When you can't see the result, you sure hope it is foolproof. One other conflict I see is if the drone wants to RTH when battery is low. I think then you'd cancel RTH while you still have signal and initiate those changes above to let it land right there. It can not, however, go up again from the ground unless you are close enough to have signal, communications between the two, again. So, Mad Mavic, which option do you think you will use?

Hey netfolks2000, thanks for bringing me back in. I’ve been out of contact so I apologize for the delayed response.

Unfortunately today was the big day but it’s raining here.

My hope was to simply initiate a landing at max distance, but I’m not certain what “max distance from home” is at the area I’ve chosen. My hope is that it’s inside my ability to maintain video contact. If not, the next option would be to fly to a preset GPS location using my Autopilot app.

At any rate, more planning needs to be done. As Laurens23 pointed out, keeping in visual line of sight for testing may be good advice.

For those interested, in an effort to conform to FAA regulations, I applied for a part 107 waver, but was denied. I’ve got a license to operate an aircraft but can’t get the privilege to operate an airplane (toy drone).

My application was submitted only shortly after my first drone flight (which was well within regulations). I asked for their reason for denial, but no response was offered. I also asked where I might attend classes to better educate myself (join in on another money racket like building hours) but again, no response.

As a pilot, Im certain I have a an adequate grasp of where aircraft can and might be; both fixed an rotor wing. I also understand the need to keep my drone from endangering human life. What I don’t understand however, is why, given the complexity of DJI equipment, we’re restricted to visual line of sight. With my DJI Goggles, I can see my surroundings as if I were in the drone.

Also, the” big sky rule “ certainly applies. The possibility of me encountering an aircraft at the locations and altitudes wherein I operate are in close proximity to my winning the Lottery. Unless of course a chance VFR pilot be ducking clouds below 400 feet AGL; but hey, it happens.

As far as I can tell, all of us enjoying both the forums, and flying drones, are only in it for the mental distraction, and enjoyment. If I’m restricted from relying on my intellect, then perhaps we should just roll over and let the governments tell us when we can pee.

What a rant that was LOL

Reactions: JayNC and Oconnb910
Hey Mad Mavic..
Not trying to steal the thread...
There's recently been an announcement of a lobby group being formed by Drone Manufacturers and Clubs (watch DroneValley's video on YT)....to get local stupid laws changed. We need something done. One of the thing's they're trying to get changed/improved is the FCC deferral system and getting everyone (FCC, State, City..etc) on the same page.
I'm luck y and live where it's a short drive to lot's of open non-NFV fields.
But...
We have local park right across from my neighborhood. BIG local park with 8 baseball, 8 Soccer fields running tracks...etc. It was fine for weekend pilots to use the back fields, when not in use, for Drone racing and Big Wing flying. We had a couple of old timers who kept track of who was up, who needed to come in, designated landing areas....they had it pretty well organized for a bunch of random people who just show up at a field..
Some <insert some rough language> of a parent had let their 5 year old run around the drone take off area. Warned many times..parents never said a word to the kid, they'd just look up from their phones and then back down. You know what happens...Kid gets smacked by Phantom (more like HE ran into it). Got a bruise and a small cut. Family (now) freaks out. Take him to emergency room and they tried to sue city (figures)...for not providing a safe environment at the park.
ALL drone, planes, RC cars, Scout's Estes Rocket Events...all....banned because of two "milldumbials'' who couldn't be bothered to come down out of the stands and actually....you know....'parent' their kid. We've been petitioning the city for 8 months but they said they can't afford to let a 'small minority' of drone pilots endanger all the other park users. I guess a, quickly dismissed, 2 million dollar lawsuit scared them.
We do need some kind of lobby to help us....cause now, in my city, Drones are evil :(

Last edited:
Hey Mad Mavic..
There's recently been an announcement of a lobby group being formed by Drone Manufacturers and Clubs (watch DroneValley's video on YT)....to get local stupid laws changed. We need something done. One of the thing's they're trying to get changed/improved is the FCC deferral system and getting everyone (FCC, State, City..etc) on the same page.
But...
We have local park right across from my neighborhood. BIG local park with 8 baseball, 8 Soccer fields running tracks...etc. It was fine for weekend pilots to use the back fields, when not in use, for Drone racing and Big Wing flying. We had a couple of old timers who kept track of who was up, who needed to come in, designated landing areas....they had it pretty well organized for a bunch of random people who just show up at a field..
Some <insert some rough language> of a parent had let their 5 year old run around the drone take off area. Warned many times..parents never said a word to the kid, they'd just look up from their phones and then back down. You know what happens...Kid gets smacked by Phantom (more like HE ran into it). Got a bruise and a small cut. Family (now) freaks out. Take him to emergency room and they tried to sue city (figures)...for not providing a safe environment at the park.
ALL drone, planes, RC cars, Scout's Estes Rocket Events...all....banned because of two "milldumbials'' who couldn't be bothered to come down out of the stands and actually....you know....'parent' their kid. We've been petitioning the city for 8 months but they said they can't afford to let a 'small minority' of drone pilots endanger all the other park users. I guess a, quickly dismissed, 2 million dollar lawsuit scared them.
We do need some kind of lobby to help us....cause now, in my city, Drones are evil :(

don't want to be THAT guy, but how the f&*% did the drone operator let a kid walk into the drone......

Yes the parent should watch their kid and they did not. But it is ALWAYS the drone operator who is responsible to fly safe. (including keeping away from people and avoid possible contact with spectators) Specially in an area NOT intended for drones (sports park).

If the drone operator's awareness and skill were so low that he did not see the kid coming, or he was unable to control his drone in a way to avoid the kid, then that operator should not have been flying at that time and place. The "pretty well organised" "old timers who kept track of who was up" also failed big time.

You fly in a sports park that is not intended for drones. You (as in all drone flyers there) failed at basic safety. Can you really blame the city for banning drones?

Hey Mad Mavic..
But...

We had a similar issue here unrelated to drones. It was a whole different hobby altogether, but until we got a city official interested in that hobby, it was hopeless to get any support. Now the hobby is flurshing with city and county funds being spent to support it.

City and county officials just need to be informed. Invite them to a meet, strap a pair of FPV goggles on them and let them see their world from a drone
don't want to be THAT guy, but how the f&*% did the drone operator let a kid walk into the drone......

Yes the parent should watch their kid and they did not. But it is ALWAYS the drone operator who is responsible to fly safe. (including keeping away from people and avoid possible contact with spectators) Specially in an area NOT intended for drones (sports park).

If the drone operator's awareness and skill were so low that he did not see the kid coming, or he was unable to control his drone in a way to avoid the kid, then that operator should not have been flying at that time and place. The "pretty well organised" "old timers who kept track of who was up" also failed big time.

You fly in a sports park that is not intended for drones. You (as in all drone flyers there) failed at basic safety. Can you really blame the city for banning drones?

Hello Laurens23. I see your profile reads that you are a male from China?

While I respect your input, don’t you feel your comments lack critical thinking. I wasn’t at the event therefore I couldn’t make the kind of absolute comments as you have. Since you are In China, perhaps you weren’t an observer as well.

I also fLy in a city park, and as soon as I arrive the kids flock around so I let them take turns either wearing my DJI Goggles, or I’ll send the drone up to a safe altitude and let the kids stand beside me and take the controls.

I don’t know if you are a parent. I have four children and perhaps I’m a little over protective, but the last thing I would have allowed my small child do is wander away from me, EVER. It only takes a second for their curiosity to get them in trouble.

The pilot may or may not be to blame for awareness but the “parent/s” are certainly at fault,

JayNC is simply expressing a desire to exercise a right to enjoy a God given right of freedom to use space to enjoy a hobby. I didn’t see anything in his post aludint to his group being irresponsible. I realize the Chinese don’t have the same rights. If you are a resident, ex-pat, missionary, foreign exchange student, whatever the case, you should be well aware of the differences between communism and freedom. I served as a missionary in a socialist country, had sever brothers who served in the military against countries trying to impose their oppression on their own people such as Korea and Vietnam.

I’m an old timer, 60 going on 35 . I love the freedom of flying drones, especially since flying aircraft has gotten so expensive. If you too fly drones, perhaps you could offer a more constructive commentary to JayNC and their group in an effort to help them succeed.

If you are a dad, I can understand you frustration. But at the same time, being hyper critical without knowing the facts simply shows everyone you’re inability to think critically.

In summary, I absolutely hate the child was injured. Thankfully ha didn’t loose an eye or some other serious injury. But to shut down an entire group’s activities due to the incompetence on a parent, or an oversight of a pilot, is nothing less than “Hot McDonalds Coffee, if you catch my drift. If JayNC were acting wreckless then yes, your comments would have been spot on, but I just didn’t read into his post what you did.

Again, if you have some advice on how the group could succeed, I’m sure they would be receptive.

Last edited:

While I respect your input, don’t you feel your comments lack critical thinking. I wasn’t at the event therefore I couldn’t make the kind of absolute comments as you have. Since you are In China, perhaps you weren’t an observer as well.

I also fLy in a city park, and as soon as I arrive the kids flock around so I let them take turns either wearing my DJI Goggles, or I’ll send the drone up to a safe altitude and let the kids stand beside me and take the controls.

I don’t know if you are a parent. I have four children and perhaps I’m a little over protective, but the last thing I would have allowed my small child do is wander away from me, EVER. It only takes a second for their curiosity to get them in trouble.

The pilot may or may not be to blame for awareness but the “parent/s” are certainly at fault,

@JayNC is simply expressing a desire to exercise a right to enjoy a God given right of freedom to use space to enjoy a hobby. I didn’t see anything in his post aludint to his group being irresponsible. I realize the Chinese don’t have the same rights. If you are a resident, ex-pat, missionary, foreign exchange student, whatever the case, you should be well aware of the differences between communism and freedom. I served as a missionary in a socialist country, had sever brothers who served in the military against countries trying to impose their oppression on their own people such as Korea and Vietnam.

I’m an old timer, 60 going on 35 . I love the freedom of flying drones, especially since flying aircraft has gotten so expensive. If you too fly drones, perhaps you could offer a more constructive commentary to JayNC and their group in an effort to help them succeed.

If you are a dad, I can understand you frustration. But at the same time, being hyper critical without knowing the facts simply shows everyone you’re inability to think critically.

In summary, I absolutely hate the child was injured. Thankfully ha didn’t loose an eye or some other serious injury. But to shut down an entire group’s activities due to the incompetence on a parent, or an oversight of a pilot, is nothing less than “Hot McDonalds Coffee, if you catch my drift. If JayNC were acting wreckless then yes, your comments would have been spot on, but I just didn’t read into his post what you did.

Again, if you have some advice on how the group could succeed, I’m sure they would be receptive.

@Mad Mavic, thank you for your honest post.

Yes, I am a dad (3 year old son), and yes, I do live in China as an expat from a European country. Obviously I was not present at the incident, and it looks like we have a different opinion on the incident, which is totally fine.

Yes as parents we are responsible for our kids, and like I wrote before the parent in in the above case obviously failed at that. However it is my opinion that this does, in this case, not take away the responsibility from the drone operator.

@JayNC wrote that they had warned the parents multiple times, but the parents did not do anything. This implies that they drone operators were aware, or should have been aware, that this kid was running around! Both the “old times keeping track of the landing area” and the drone operators themselves should then have been EXTRA careful or stop flying until this kid was gone. They are responsible to operate their drones safely to the best of their abilities, and they failed at that. If they knowingly cannot guarantee the safety of the people, they should not fly!

Yes you have the right the freedom to enjoy this public park, so does the child and his/her parents. Freedom does not mean you can do whatever you like, freedom is something you enjoy and share with others.

They were operating drones in a public space not dedicated to drones. This park is intended for soccer and baseball. If they were playing soccer and the kid got a ball in his face nothing much would have happened. Similarly, if they were flying at a designated drone area and a kid suddenly runs into the field and is hit, the drone operator can't be blamed as he was operating his drone safely to the best of his knowledge. At most he safety of the field can be looked at (fencing, observers), but it’s unlikely the city would close the field over an incident like that.

The following is just speculation, but maybe the drone operator was flying FPV? This incident is exactly the reason why there are VLOS regulations. If he was flying VLOS he probably would have seen the kid and be able to take evasive action. However because this was not in the post I did not mention it before.

As neither of us was present we likely never know the full details of how it happened. But I stand by my previous post. Abide it being harsh, with the fact we know, it is my opinion that the drone operator shares the major part of the blame. Regardless of how it happened, incidents like this only further damage the image of our beautiful hobby.

Now for some constructive feedback:

It seems like there is a group of people who regularly get together to enjoy this wonderful hobby.

If you can fly regularly, it seems that 8 soccer fields and 8 baseball fields is a bit overkill for the park. I would start by getting as many drone enthusiast together. Then, representing all of them, requesting the city council for 1-2 of the fields to be turned into dedicated RC fields? Or at least get some dedicated times to fly.

Argue this sport is becoming more popular, that it encourages (young) people to be outside. That it promotes engineering and interest in STEM. That with the park off limits there is no safe alternative to enjoy this hobby. make it sound like it is an opportunity for the city rather than a risk. Also Argue that with a dedicated field comes organised safety to avoid future incidents (information and warning signs for spectators, 2 safety observers who keep the field safe and stop operations in case of an unsafe situation 1 person dedicated to interact with spectators if they have any questions, and hand out info-and safety-leaflets.)

Be careful not to argue that, with the park off limits, people will start to fly illegally. That is a very bad argument and a slippery slope! If you argue this the council will hear “if you don't give us what we want we will break the law”.

If the city council does not approve this flying location ask for another flying location. Come up with some possible areas but tell them you are open to their suggestions as they have a more in depth knowledge of the city planning. Keep going back to annoy them with the issue until they give in.

Give a demonstration. Invite some people from the council to come fly with you guys (at a safe and legal location)

Contact the AMA and see if they can help (I don't think so but you can try).

If everything fails, maybe you can avoid public areas and find someone with a large private are where you can fly.

JayNC is simply expressing a desire to exercise a right to enjoy a God given right of freedom to use space to enjoy a hobby. I didn’t see anything in his post aludint to his group being irresponsible. I realize the Chinese don’t have the same rights. If you are a resident, ex-pat, missionary, foreign exchange student, whatever the case, you should be well aware of the differences between communism and freedom. I served as a missionary in a socialist country, had sever brothers who served in the military against countries trying to impose their oppression on their own people such as Korea and Vietnam.

There is no god-given right of freedom to use space. For one, that brings up a mythical figure, and two there are restrictions to spaces to protect others.

The law always comes down to the bottom line, and unfortunately in this incident, the pilot is this point. He is the one that must ensure safety and that he maintains a safe distance from any people/spectators. In Australia, this is 30m, not sure about USA laws. It really sucks that parents don’t maintain good supervision, but that doesn’t move responsibility from pilot in command

There is no god-given right of freedom to use space. For one, that brings up a mythical figure, and two there are restrictions to spaces to protect others.

“Mystical” seems a little vague considering the complexities involved.

Back on topic, the airspace as Laurens23 mentioned, would perhaps be better utilized, should a section be allocated for drone traffic. This would at least give the pilots a share also; especially since they too contribute to the tax base.

A local school may be an alternative. It may be possible to fly there when they aren’t in session. Our community uses all our schools as churches on the weekends. Perhaps the grounds could be used for drone hobbiests.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS