DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Long-term authorization zone unlock

Kyle76

Reactions
I fly often in an authorization zone near an airport in coastal North Carolina. It's not restricted by the FAA, but it requires DJI authorization, and it's a bit of a hassle to have to unlock this zone for every three-day period I want to fly, so today I tried a new method, which seemed to work. The airspace is not restricted by the FAA, but I put in a request to fly there through Dronezone, and it got cancelled because the airspace is Class G. Interestingly, I got a call from a guy at the FAA prior to the cancellation to tell me the airspace was unrestricted, so I explained to him what I was trying to do and he noted in the cancellation that the airspace is Class G. I took a screenshot of the web page relating this information and uploaded it with a custom unlock request for the area from now until Sept. 30, and the unlock request was approved in just a few minutes. I haven't tried it out yet, but if it works it will be nice to get these authorizations for months at a time rather than days. Has anyone else gone this route?

I fly often in an authorization zone near an airport in coastal North Carolina. It's not restricted by the FAA, but it requires DJI authorization, and it's a bit of a hassle to have to unlock this zone for every three-day period I want to fly, so today I tried a new method, which seemed to work. The airspace is not restricted by the FAA, but I put in a request to fly there through Dronezone, and it got cancelled because the airspace is Class G. Interestingly, I got a call from a guy at the FAA prior to the cancellation to tell me the airspace was unrestricted, so I explained to him what I was trying to do and he noted in the cancellation that the airspace is Class G. I took a screenshot of the web page relating this information and uploaded it with a custom unlock request for the area from now until Sept. 30, and the unlock request was approved in just a few minutes. I haven't tried it out yet, but if it works it will be nice to get these authorizations for months at a time rather than days. Has anyone else gone this route?
I did this in the past for my Mavic Mini since there are no airspace restrictions for UAV below 250g where I live. This always worked well.

Earlier this year, DJI gave me a custom unlock good for six months for Detroit City Airport's authorization zone after I was having trouble with the regular unlocking route.

Can I ask what area in North Carolina? We're vacationing on Topsail Island in October, and it's just southwest of Camp Lejuene's restricted flying area (it's an MOA/Alert area, but B4UFLY shows it OK to fly); wondering if DJI will throw a curve there.

Can I ask what area in North Carolina? We're vacationing on Topsail Island in October, and it's just southwest of Camp Lejuene's restricted flying area (it's an MOA/Alert area, but B4UFLY shows it OK to fly); wondering if DJI will throw a curve there.
Beaufort, near the Michael W. Smith Airport.

Reactions: ArnieZiffel
I live in an Authorization Zone, so I couldn't fly my Mini 2 in my own yard. :(

DJI gave me a one year Custom Unlock. At the end of year, they unlocked it for a further year.

The process was relatively complex, but once a year isn't too bad.

If nothing else, TOPSAIL island has some good restaurants while you fiddle with DJI's aggravations.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar