DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for a custom map feature... Also question to programmers who worked with DJI SDK

dxrt

Reactions
So I have M2P that I use to fly (using Android tablet) within very specific borders of land. Borders can be made available in GPS coordinates. Often you can't tell where the required borders specifically are since they are not denoted on the land in any way.

Often I end up flying in the wrong place or I miss certain patch of land that was within the borders because I can't see the borders while flying.

So, I am looking for the controlling app that would allow me to upload the GPS coordinates of the borders and when I am flying, would display these borders on the map where the drone's position is shown.

Or, perhaps, there is a way to place my own raster map in place of Google Maps or other raster maps, into DJI Go 4. Maybe it's possible to somehow replace maps downloaded for offline mode with edited versions?

Also I need automatic 360 deg panorama shooting mode like the one DJI Go 4 has since that's what I basically do during these missions.

Also to the programmers out there, is it possible to export current drone position from the DJI Go 4 app, in real time? Maybe some broadcasts from DJI Go 4 app contain that? I could make my own app that shows the drone and the borders if I could somehow fetch the drone's GPS position from DJI Go 4. Or making my own control app is the only way to go?

Oh and in case someone recommends Litchie, here's my long rant about it:

1. Unfortunately it's very buggy on my tablet (Galaxy Tab S3, pretty much top tier model), as it keeps crashing, meaning it simply disappears so I have to start it again, and if it were shooting panorama the drone ends up in "joystick" mode that I can't even leave unless I rth.

2. It loses the mission entirely when I switch to Pano mode to shoot panorama so I have to reload it again after shooting each panorama. It's a few extra taps each panorama which adds up and battery life is not infinite. Also it often crashes around loading a mission.

3. It shoots panoramas very, very slowly for some reason, taking about twice the time it takes DJI Go 4 to shoot a panorama. Every shot takes about double the time it takes DJI Go4 to make a shot in panorama mode, even though I did activate manual focus before activating the pano shooting.

4. Even if I tried to use Litchie to run fully autonomous mission, its panorama action for the waypoint is inadequate as it can't even use the settings I setup for its own Pano mode, which is ridiculous from design standpoint.

Overall, in my opinion it's a horrible app I regret spending money on (can't even refund for some reason). Maybe modes other than Pano and Waypoints are useful for someone but I don't need them so the whole thing is useless to me.

Last edited:
So I have M2P that I use to fly (using Android tablet) within very specific borders of land. Borders can be made available in GPS coordinates. Often you can't tell where the required borders specifically are since they are not denoted on the land in any way.

Often I end up flying in the wrong place or I miss certain patch of land that was within the borders because I can't see the borders while flying.

So, I am looking for the controlling app that would allow me to upload the GPS coordinates of the borders and when I am flying, would display these borders on the map where the drone's position is shown.

Or, perhaps, there is a way to place my own raster map in place of Google Maps or other raster maps, into DJI Go 4. Maybe it's possible to somehow replace maps downloaded for offline mode with edited versions?

Also I need automatic 360 deg panorama shooting mode like the one DJI Go 4 has since that's what I basically do during these missions.

Also to the programmers out there, is it possible to export current drone position from the DJI Go 4 app, in real time? Maybe some broadcasts from DJI Go 4 app contain that? I could make my own app that shows the drone and the borders if I could somehow fetch the drone's GPS position from DJI Go 4. Or making my own control app is the only way to go?

Oh and in case someone recommends Litchie, here's my long rant about it:

1. Unfortunately it's very buggy on my tablet (Galaxy Tab S3, pretty much top tier model), as it keeps crashing, meaning it simply disappears so I have to start it again, and if it were shooting panorama the drone ends up in "joystick" mode that I can't even leave unless I rth.

2. It loses the mission entirely when I switch to Pano mode to shoot panorama so I have to reload it again after shooting each panorama. It's a few extra taps each panorama which adds up and battery life is not infinite. Also it often crashes around loading a mission.

3. It shoots panoramas very, very slowly for some reason, taking about twice the time it takes DJI Go 4 to shoot a panorama. Every shot takes about double the time it takes DJI Go4 to make a shot in panorama mode, even though I did activate manual focus before activating the pano shooting.

4. Even if I tried to use Litchie to run fully autonomous mission, its panorama action for the waypoint is inadequate as it can't even use the settings I setup for its own Pano mode, which is ridiculous from design standpoint.

Overall, in my opinion it's a horrible app I regret spending money on (can't even refund for some reason). Maybe modes other than Pano and Waypoints are useful for someone but I don't need them so the whole thing is useless to me.
Forget to do anything with the Go4 app. You have to do it on your own.
You cant have two apps talking to the drone at the same time. There is no hooks that I'm aware of.

Everything you ask is possible through the SDK. Pretty straightforward. I have done virtual fence that is displayed on a google map. You just can load a kml-file with maps-api. Just a few lines of code.
If you not very good in app-programming you will have problems with crashes as well, don't think Litchi is unique in this way.
Most crashes are due to not doing things on ui-thread. The callbacks can be quite nasty when there is a glitch in the link with the aircraft.

I'm developing an app that is scriptable in python, almost crash proof. The problem is I never get eough time to finish it. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998