DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lightroom Tip for failed Panoramas

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I recently attempted a few panos in windy conditions. No go. I got varying number of images before my screen was filled with some variation of "Hey stupid..it's too windy for a panorama" and that was that. My workflow involves importing the folder of images I have copied to my computer and I did so, including the folder titled "Panorama". I knew none of them had completed and almost tossed the entire folder but then something unusual happened. I had a bright idea. I realized that some images my drone took would be either a series of vertical or horizontal images and that two or there, here and there might be grouped and a small pano might be salvaged from the group and perhaps a few individual images might stand on their own. Yep yep. Here is one of them. Nothing dramatic but better than nothing!

PANO_0001-Pano.jpg

Great job! The image turned out great.

I recently attempted a few panos in windy conditions. No go. I got varying number of images before my screen was filled with some variation of "Hey stupid..it's too windy for a panorama" and that was that. My workflow involves importing the folder of images I have copied to my computer and I did so, including the folder titled "Panorama". I knew none of them had completed and almost tossed the entire folder but then something unusual happened. I had a bright idea. I realized that some images my drone took would be either a series of vertical or horizontal images and that two or there, here and there might be grouped and a small pano might be salvaged from the group and perhaps a few individual images might stand on their own. Yep yep. Here is one of them. Nothing dramatic but better than nothing!

View attachment 172518
That’s a much better photo then it would have been if you had a full pano. That’s what we call a happy mistake.

Reactions: Robert Prior
Lightroom is not very good stitching drone panoramas, specially 360º, use PTGui instead, it's expensive, but it's the best by far.

Lightroom is not very good stitching drone panoramas, specially 360º, use PTGui instead, it's expensive, but it's the best by far.
I have PT Gui...this was a case of not having all the photos taken due to the wind.

I wished my best looked as good as your salvaged picture. Great job, but I have a question for you. I recently saw a guy say he did a 5*2 pano. Have you tried it and do you just do two panos, changing the gimble in between set one and set two, then stitching then all together? Thanks for sharing.

I wished my best looked as good as your salvaged picture. Great job, but I have a question for you. I recently saw a guy say he did a 5*2 pano. Have you tried it and do you just do two panos, changing the gimble in between set one and set two, then stitching then all together? Thanks for sharing.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Let's see if it's this idea. The Tele lens on the Mav3 doesn't do the kind of panos that I often like so I do them manually. I use the "tic tac toe" overlay to keep things lined up. I might shoot 6 or more images horizontally, overlapping by 1/3 a frame, then move up (or down) 1/3 a frame and shoot the same 6 images above the first set and then do it again for a third horizontal layer. I think I have done as many as 9 across by 3 up for 27 images that can then be combined in Photoshop or PT Gui for a panorama. The key is to watch the lines of the tic tac to board carefully move up/down or left right so each movement moves one third of the screen, ie move one line so it goes into position where the previous line used to be. I look for an spot on the line that I can remember and then move the camera to one side so the overlapping line hits that spot exactly. Is that the kind of thing you're thinking of? I thought I was going to point you to an example but this video just has a long single horizontal pano done manually.

That's it exactly. I was wondering how he had done it. I will give it a try. Thank you. BTW. I used to fly out of Elmendorf and have flown everything from Prudhoe Bay (passed by about 200' AGL) out beyond the Aleutian chain and everything in between. Amazing beauty. Thanks my friend.

That's it exactly. I was wondering how he had done it. I will give it a try. Thank you. BTW. I used to fly out of Elmendorf and have flown everything from Prudhoe Bay (passed by about 200' AGL) out beyond the Aleutian chain and everything in between. Amazing beauty. Thanks my friend.
Hah! Well you've seen more of Alaskan than I have (or most Alaskans!) .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N