DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for control sticks that can be picked up by a magnet

Not being sarcastic but do you have trouble bending?
If so something like this perhaps Stainless Steel Flexible Pick Up Tool 1.6m Claw Grip Toilet Kitchen Clean-UL | eBay

I still have my Dad's though that's a rigid one and, for your usage, perhaps better than flexible, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 70+ years old.
Not being sarcastic, but do you have anything aside from pavement where you're from? Easy to lose tiny things when you're out and about rocks, moss, fallen leaves, etc.

I assume you talking about dropping them in the car between your seat or the couch .
Then make the Neo magnets that are very small that you could super glue them on top

Or you can get these Protectors that fit into the Seats on both sides that work really well for both cars and Couches.

Phatomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Since the stock sticks are so tiny, easy to drop, and NON magnetic I would really like some replacement sticks that would stick to a magnet if I were to drop them. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party stick that would meet this criteria?
Not being sarcastic, but do you have anything aside from pavement where you're from? Easy to lose tiny things when you're out and about rocks, moss, fallen leaves, etc.
Ah well, if you had mentioned that the magnetism was a means of searching for a control stick dropped and lost in debris etc. on the ground, that would have been rather useful ...... don't you think?

Since your opening post DID NOT mention searching for lost stick I think it is a reasonable assumption that the sticks were visible and therefore my suggestion was in good faith.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Since the stock sticks are so tiny, easy to drop, and NON magnetic I would really like some replacement sticks that would stick to a magnet if I were to drop them. Can anyone recommend a 3rd party stick that would meet this criteria?
Does the remote have a compass sensor in it? Your phone likely does. Is it used in flight?

You could super glue an apple tag to the top of each one if you fly with your thumbs ( "thumber ") The extra area might work out lol
Sorry just a dumb solution.-- BUT If you carefully pry the rubber grippy things on the sticks with a pair of tweezers or whatever you can snake a small fishing line thru each of the sticks and then attach the lines to the radios neck strap mount. JUST REMEMBER you have a small line there and don't let anything get caught up in it!
DJI in their wisdom makes there radio sticks in reverse of everyone else so replacement sticks are hard to get unless you want the DJI ones.

You could super glue an apple tag to the top of each one if you fly with your thumbs ( "thumber ") The extra area might work out lol
Sorry just a dumb solution.-- BUT If you carefully pry the rubber grippy things on the sticks with a pair of tweezers or whatever you can snake a small fishing line thru each of the sticks and then attach the lines to the radios neck strap mount. JUST REMEMBER you have a small line there and don't let anything get caught up in it!
DJI in their wisdom makes there radio sticks in reverse of everyone else so replacement sticks are hard to get unless you want the DJI ones.
There is no rubber on the Mini 3 sticks.

Attachments

• 20230715_153219.jpg
    20230715_153219.jpg
    686.8 KB · Views: 11
How about this idea from a few years ago...

Well Curses DJI !! They have fixed the slump in Stick Sales. I wonder witch engineer figured that out! you can get a foam pad to protect the gambles and leave the sticks on.

@Bodkin's Best Photography
i agree that the sticks are somewhat fiddly to screw onto the protruding threads of the remote,
i overcame the issue, by purchasing a case for the drone ,and RC, and the fly-more kit that enables the RC to be stored without removing the sticks
its also possible to purchase a stick cover guard, that fits over them without removing them

I assume you talking about dropping them in the car between your seat or the couch .
Then make the Neo magnets that are very small that you could super glue them on top

Or stick a small metal disk to the sticks tops, this can be picked up using an extendable magnet device, and not have the sticks themselves attracting every small particle of metal onto them, ha ha.

1689463504366.png

@Bodkin's Best Photography
i agree that the sticks are somewhat fiddly to screw onto the protruding threads of the remote,
i overcame the issue, by purchasing a case for the drone ,and RC, and the fly-more kit that enables the RC to be stored without removing the sticks
its also possible to purchase a stick cover guard, that fits over them without removing them
I may consider that. The problem is limited realestate in the camera bag. I can just fit the drone in its 3d printed case along with the remote into one of my compartments.

One could always look on Aliexpress and pick up a 1/2 dozen sticks for next to nothing. They run about 2.25 cad shipped per pair for almost exact copies of the 18.00 originals. I bought some for just in case moments and no longer worry about being stuck without. Takes up less space than anything else too:)

Since i dont have the mini 3 i cant say how much room there is in the stick well but here are a couple of possible suggestions. First you could find some small soft iron or 410, 420 or 440 stainless steel ball bearings to glue on to the ends of the sticks. Or you could try a dab of JB Weld on the end of sticks. Some formulations are at least mildly magnetic. If you feel like playing around a bit after finding one that has a decent magnetic attraction you could press some plastic food wrap in to the holders at the base of the controller as a protective barrier, put the sticks in and then squirt or press in the epoxy around at the thumb ends. Just make sure to protect the threads at the other end. Allow to cure before removing then pop out with the plastic wrap and sand down to a comfortable size and shape. I haven't tried these ideas yet myself on my Mini2 or Air2 but as I'm getting older and fatter they are probably in my near future.

Swing and a miss. If that's today's sales pitch I suggest you return to the drawing board...
Not being sarcastic but do you have trouble bending?
If so something like this perhaps Stainless Steel Flexible Pick Up Tool 1.6m Claw Grip Toilet Kitchen Clean-UL | eBay

I still have my Dad's though that's a rigid one and, for your usage, perhaps better than flexible, I wouldn't be surprised if it was 70+ years old.

Ask some people what time it is and they'll tell you how to make a watch

Since the stock sticks are so tiny, easy to drop, and NON magnetic I would really like some replacement sticks that would stick to a magnet if I were to drop them.

Something to think about... 🤔

I watched a tear down video years ago of a Mavic remote that showed the internal operations of the joysticks on the older Remote Controls for the Spark. Mavics, etc. and it showed that the sticks operated in a "magnetic field" of sorts to control the X / Y inputs of the sticks.

Any magnetic stuff (steel) around the controller may affect the operations of it?

Having a steel joystick may not work.

The newer remotes may operate in the same fashion.

Probably why they are made of non ferrous materials.

Just a thought....🤔

Buy some M4 threaded bar and make your own, it’s not difficult.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro