DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking for tips about cliff climbing filming

Machineur

Reactions
Hi everybody.
I need tips to help me planning my project. Climbing amateur video will help to correct position and best line of the climber. Its a 400 foot cliff. Did somebody here have tips to share?
Im a bit scared about wind effect near the rock so it will be done on no wind day only... everything you could share on that subject will be welcome.

Sory for my limited english.

Are you planning on flying the quad whilst climbing yourself, or are you filming someone else from the ground?
If the former, I'd recommend practicing launcing the Air without putting anything down on the ground. It is possible to do I found, but make sure to master it to avoid a "fly away" without even having the wings unfolded.

If the latter. Just keep a sufficient distance from the climber, not only to avoid risking your quad smashing in the cliff, but more importantly for the safety of the climber himself. I'd therefore recommend to shoot in 4K so you could always digitally zoom in when rendering the video to 1080P. Even on calm days, wind can be unpredictable around cliffs.

Good point...
I will film from the ground for now.
The first test will be with nobody on the site to bee safe...
We have kids climbing with us so safety of the climber is the first thing in my mind.
Magnetic test will be done.

Last edited:
Practicing the shot beforehand without anybody on site is certainly a wise thing! If there's any turbulence around you'll find out. So I reckon you're fine with these preparations in mind. Also, make sure that there is no compass interference at takeoff (check if the icon orientation on the map corresponds with the quad). This will help prevent the risk of the drone behaving irrationally. That said, a careful pre-flight check is always recommended. ;)

If you still don't feel comfortable after a few test runs, you could always attach the propguards as a last resort. In the event you happen to do crash into something/someone the propellers will be prevented from colliding.

Reactions: Machineur
I would also check your settings so that maximum control inputs have less effect. That way it won't be a drama if you have a bit of a panic and push a stick the wrong way. Tripod mode will also ensure you have a very slow moving drone.

As you approach the cliff face, you can expect to lose all the satellites that will be blocked from the cliff. So make sure you acquire as many satellites as possible before you start. I usually start up the drone well away from the cliff and fly it to some altitude to help with the satellite locks before moving close to the face.

Reactions: Thwyllo

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS