DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looking to buy a Mavic 2 Pro but have some questions

blong10

Reactions
So I have some questions about this drone. I have flew my cousins Phantom 4 Pro for a while before he moved away and it was awesome especially the Video and Pictures seemed extremely sharp and nice. I have looked on YouTube and have downloaded some footage from other youtubers that have posted free footage to download to view the capabilities of the camera it I don't know if it's just me or what but they don't seems anywhere near as sharp as the Phantom 4 Pro. And yes I'm watching on a 4K monitor and a Samsung 4K TV to verify. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I'm just really picky . Also how are the pictures compared to the Phantom 4 Pro I noticed they both have a 1" 20mp sensor.

So I have some questions about this drone. I have flew my cousins Phantom 4 Pro for a while before he moved away and it was awesome especially the Video and Pictures seemed extremely sharp and nice. I have looked on YouTube and have downloaded some footage from other youtubers that have posted free footage to download to view the capabilities of the camera it I don't know if it's just me or what but they don't seems anywhere near as sharp as the Phantom 4 Pro. And yes I'm watching on a 4K monitor and a Samsung 4K TV to verify. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this or if I'm just really picky . Also how are the pictures compared to the Phantom 4 Pro I noticed they both have a 1" 20mp sensor.
Personally never used a Phantom 4 but I have watched comparisons Youtube. Have a look and draw your own conclusion.

a lot of the difference is down to editing of the image and the settings used to capture the image, it is all subjective ,what may look great to one person ,could look different to someone else

From what I hear the videos uploaded to utube are of a lower res so unless you compare utube videos of both it would be like comparing apples to oranges. Just picked up an used pro and just basic videos I can tell the difference from the zoom videos I have taken and I am no expert on it. Personally I do not see that you would be disappointed and the M2's are great to fly.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have watched countless reviews that make this comparison, I think many of these reviewers have intimated that the M2P video images are just a little "softer" than the P4P's. (with the emphasis of being just a little different) I have neither drone, so I cant confirm this first hand, but I've been on the fence about buying a Mavic for the past year or so, and during that time I have spent many hours watching and reading reviews. As for stills, I cant imagine there is a huge difference. This seems like a pretty concise review... This Mavic 2 Pro vs Phantom 4 Pro comparison puts image sharpness reports to the test

It seems to confirm the sharpness concern.

As Sleepy says - YouTube uses compression on every uploaded video, thus comparing raw video file with YouTube's video is not fair.

However before I bought my M2P, I did a lot of research on image quality and from what I remember, at least at 4K video, P4P is sharper than M2P. On the photo side, the difference was smaller, yet still with slight advantage to P4P. Plus there is a mechanical global shutter on P4P, a huge advantage for sports photography and other moving objects (no "rolling" effect like with electronic shutter), but AFAIK works only down to 1/2000s, shorter exposure uses electronic shutter.

I shoot mainly photos, and M2P has quite good image quality, P4P would give me even slightly better quality, but portability of Mavic wins. I can pack it to a size of a DSLR camera. And as they say, the best camera is the one you have on you ;)

I would emphasize the necessity of doing any comparisons with the original footage from the Drone’s SD card on your computer setup, preferably with a calibrated monitor.

youtube, and to a lesser degree VIMEO both recomress the image by a factor of approximately 5 to get a video stream that is playable. They do a pretty good job, but reducing the image information by 80% does do some damage.

I am fortunate to have a Phantom 4 Pro +, and a Mavic 2 Pro. At first I thought the Phantom images were sharper, but now I'm not sure. In my opinion, if there is a difference it's slight. So much depends on the camera settings. I've thought about setting both cameras with the same settings and taking the same images with both within a short time. However, I don't see the point as I'm happy with both. The Mavic 2 has many advantages over the Phantom. One is the ability to control the gimbal by sliding a finger on the controller screen. That feature greatly helps me compose my shots.
I would not base a decision on Youtube videos.

A word of caution. I shoot 4k videos with my M2P and render to 1080P. Then I upload to YouTube. When I try to play, often YouTube will run it at 360P. I always have to select the gear, and select 1080P, Big difference. My son has a Phantom 4 and has had it over a year and I don't think he's ever shot a video or taken a picture. Plus, the Phantom is too bulky. Get the M2P.

I know heaps of people given you advice more experienced than me. But I think you’re question is bit like which is the better car, the fast Ferrari, or the Roll Royce. Both the P4P & the M2P are amazing drones capable of excellent video & photo capture. Personally, I think you should be basing your decision on which one is likely to fit your needs more. The P4P is a much bigger drone and is a bit like the Roll Royce and you really have to want to go out and fly it. the M2P on the other hand is smaller and easier to pack and take along with you almost anywhere you go.
so although, most probably, the P4P is a slightly better image, it won’t be any good to you if it’s sitting at home because it’s too bulky to carry.

Reactions: brettbrandon
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoTony