DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Looks like the Mavic 3 Classic is coming, Air2S killer?

I truly don't understand the purpose of the Mavic 3 Classic if the Air 3 is right around the corner. They are cannibalizing their our models. I don't agree with this strategy but what do I know!
When and if the Air 3 comes to market it will probably use the same design as the mini 3 pro.
With the vertical rotation on the camera.As far as cannibalizing the midrange models doubtful.
I like the idea of a Mavic 3 classic as the current mavic 3 pro is way over priced.
Yes the mavic 3 classic could put a dent in air 2s sales,but that model is already starting to show its age
as technology has gotten so much better since the air2s was released.
But again I could be wrong ,and probably will be,who knows.
Have a good one.

The Air 3 may end up being the Mavic 3 Classic. Otherwise , yeah, they would be at odds, unless the Classic 3 is still far more expensive than the A2S.

I long for longer flight time from my A2S, but I can deal.
I think the Air 3 when or if released will take on the same form factor as the mini 3 pro model
with the vertical shoot capability.
But you could be right if an Air 3 is released,everyone knows it will be costly.And if the price
of the Mavic 3 classic and Air 3 are close ,there would be no need to get the Air 3.
Also you could be right on the Air 3 being the Mavic 3 classic.
Interesting times ahead.
Have a good day.

Reactions: maggior
The idea of the Air is to be compact for travel. It’s not required to live in the sub 250g category but is meant to be this point between large and compact. The Mavic 3 would not be small enough to be a good replacement so they will need to produce an Air 3 as the next step. It will be interesting to see how its configured but whatever it might be I have a feeling it will be a better fit for me than the larger options.

As long as the Air 3 doesn't have a 4/3 sensor and a larger airframe they won't be cannibalizing anything, assuming it is even going to be released sometime soon - I haven't seen any rumors.

The M3 Classic is what I have been waiting for. I personally have no use for the 1/2" sensor secondary camera and I didn't want to pay for it. I bought a Mini 3 Pro to tide me over and honestly it's so good I have been using it more than my M2P, however I want that 4/3 sensor and now it's available for a lot less money. The only thing I'm missing now is a way to buy the M3 classic without a remote, since it's compatible with the DJI RC that came with the Mini 3 Pro.

As long as the Air 3 doesn't have a 4/3 sensor and a larger airframe they won't be cannibalizing anything, assuming it is even going to be released sometime soon - I haven't seen any rumors.

The M3 Classic is what I have been waiting for. I personally have no use for the 1/2" sensor secondary camera and I didn't want to pay for it. I bought a Mini 3 Pro to tide me over and honestly it's so good I have been using it more than my M2P, however I want that 4/3 sensor and now it's available for a lot less money. The only thing I'm missing now is a way to buy the M3 classic without a remote, since it's compatible with the DJI RC that came with the Mini 3 Pro.
If you have never had the opportunity to use the Mavic 2 Zoom nor the 7x telephoto camera on the Mavic 3, you have no idea what you are missing out on! It is an entirely different perspective that compresses the landscape, and allows you to photograph and video subjects from 7x further away. Everyone who has the 7x telephoto on the Mavic 3 is now singing its praises, and would never give it up, let alone to save only $150-$450. By the time you buy the $650 FlyMore Combo plus the $1469 Classic without any RC, you will have already spent $2100 plus tax. You can buy the Mavic 3 Refurbished right now for $1750 from DroneNerds with an RC-N1. That's only $150 more than the Classic with the RC-N1! Effectively, you are saving $150 to give up the venerable 7x telephoto lens! Penny wise and pound foolish, if you ask me! Your DJI RC is also compatible with the Mavic 3, which just received its own FW update today, giving it all the new Classic features, like cruise control and Nightmode, as well as adding Spotlight and POI to the 7x telephoto!

If you have never had the opportunity to use the Mavic 2 Zoom nor the 7x telephoto camera on the Mavic 3, you have no idea what you are missing out on! It is an entirely different perspective that compresses the landscape, and allows you to photograph and video subjects from 7x further away. Everyone who has the 7x telephoto on the Mavic 3 is now singing its praises, and would never give it up, let alone to save only $150-$450. By the time you buy the $650 FlyMore Combo plus the $1469 Classic without any RC, you will have already spent $2100 plus tax. You can buy the Mavic 3 Refurbished right now for $1750 from DroneNerds with an RC-N1. That's only $150 more than the Classic with the RC-N1! Effectively, you are saving $150 to give up the venerable 7x telephoto lens! Penny wise and pound foolish, if you ask me! Your DJI RC is also compatible with the Mavic 3, which just received its own FW update today, giving it all the new Classic features, like cruise control and Nightmode, as well as adding Spotlight and POI to the 7x telephoto!

I like the compression, I don't like the still image quality or the lack of Log footage, or the lack of an adjustable aperture :) . Also 95% of the time I am wishing I had a wider FOV than 24mm, rather than a telephoto, so it just wouldn't see much use even if it had a good image sensor behind it. I do photography professionally so my standards for image quality are likely different than many users here, which is why I only really care about the 4/3 sensor. I've downloaded lots of photo/video samples from the 7X camera and at the end of the day the tiny 1/2" sensor can't defy physics - it's pretty bad, relatively speaking of course - I realize for many people's applications it's acceptable and there's nothing wrong with that. If the end usage is web-sized images or similar, it's fine.

Really, all I need is the bare drone, a set of NDs, and one extra battery. The 40+ min flight times mean I don't need 3 batteries anymore, I already have a bag, and I already have the remote.

Here in Canada the most basic Mavic 3 combo is $2619. Currently the Mavic 3 Classic only appears to be offered with the DJI RC that I don't need, but it's $2239. With the standard controller it should be $1999 CAD and with no controller (what I want) It should be around $1850 when there is a Canadian SKU available (there is one in the USA already, so I'm sure it's coming). The extra battery and ND filters are a sunk cost cost so I'm not including that either way. Still not an enormous price difference, but I'd prefer not to pay for a feature I won't use. I have flown a M3 and again while I don't mind having the option of a 7X telephoto, to me it's not worth ~$750 with such a tiny sensor and no adjustable aperture or DLog.

The M2Z was a nightmare because of the variable aperture, you couldn't zoom mid-video as your exposure changed by nearly one full stop. If you wanted to use a different zoom setting, you had to land the drone and swap NDs. This isn't really a problem in full auto mode, but it prevents you from using the zoom function for any serious shooting and fixing it in post is never optimal.

Also I am pretty sure you still can't buy the bare Mavic 3 drone and no remote. It's possible that's changed, but as of this summer there was no Canadian option to buy just the Mavic 3 and nothing else.

I appreciate your comments though, it really is nice to have so many options now regardless.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I like the compression, I don't like the still image quality or the lack of Log footage, or the lack of an adjustable aperture :) . Also 95% of the time I am wishing I had a wider FOV than 24mm, rather than a telephoto, so it just wouldn't see much use even if it had a good image sensor behind it. I do photography professionally so my standards for image quality are likely different than many users here, which is why I only really care about the 4/3 sensor. I've downloaded lots of photo/video samples from the 7X camera and at the end of the day the tiny 1/2" sensor can't defy physics - it's pretty bad, relatively speaking of course - I realize for many people's applications it's acceptable and there's nothing wrong with that. If the end usage is web-sized images or similar, it's fine.

Really, all I need is the bare drone, a set of NDs, and one extra battery. The 40+ min flight times mean I don't need 3 batteries anymore, I already have a bag, and I already have the remote.

Here in Canada the most basic Mavic 3 combo is $2619. Currently the Mavic 3 Classic only appears to be offered with the DJI RC that I don't need, but it's $2239. With the standard controller it should be $1999 CAD and with no controller (what I want) It should be around $1850 when there is a Canadian SKU available (there is one in the USA already, so I'm sure it's coming). The extra battery and ND filters are a sunk cost cost so I'm not including that either way. Still not an enormous price difference, but I'd prefer not to pay for a feature I won't use. I have flown a M3 and again while I don't mind having the option of a 7X telephoto, to me it's not worth ~$750 with such a tiny sensor and no adjustable aperture or DLog.

The M2Z was a nightmare because of the variable aperture, you couldn't zoom mid-video as your exposure changed by nearly one full stop. If you wanted to use a different zoom setting, you had to land the drone and swap NDs. This isn't really a problem in full auto mode, but it prevents you from using the zoom function for any serious shooting and fixing it in post is never optimal.

Also I am pretty sure you still can't buy the bare Mavic 3 drone and no remote. It's possible that's changed, but as of this summer there was no Canadian option to buy just the Mavic 3 and nothing else.

I appreciate your comments though, it really is nice to have so many options now regardless.
I appreciate your analysis for your use. At worst, the Mavic 3 would be overkill for your use, but there is also resale value to consider, if you later want to upgrade to a yet better drone in a year. Many Mavic 3 Classic buyers will end up buying a Mavic 3 just to get the 7x telephoto when the finally realize what they are missing. My recommendation would be to buy a Refurbished Mavic 3 from DroneNerds for $1750 U.S.. They are usually brand new, with full warranty and DJI Care available, and you get a Refurbished drone back anyway, if there are any warranty issues or accidents with a brand new drone! Might as well start with one and save some money! ;-) I've had great experience with so called DJI factory Refurbs. DJI doesn't really repair drones any more.

Flight time on the Mavic 3 batteries is insane! I'm getting 33-35 minutes, compared to 23 minutes on the M2P. Well worth the purchase, even without the 7x telephoto and the 4/3 sensor.

The variable aperture of the M2Z was a problem for me, too. Most of my sunset flights return after dark, and the zoom was completely unusable because ISO was already at max, and the change in aperture by a full stop from the 2x optical zoom just turned the scene black! All my terrestrial zoom lenses are fixed aperture. The 7x is a fixed f/4.4 so best saved for daylight, unless you can fill the frame with a well lit subject at night, where it still shines!

Reactions: CanadaDrone

I’m looking for the same. I think the Mavic 3 Classic, no remote, one extra battery will do me fine. I already have the RC (and RC-N1 I dont use) and a way to carry it around. I even have the 65w charger already. So, Classic it is. I put my name in on the DJI site to be notified when it would be ready and will either shop there or B&H. I need a few minutes to sort what I want to do with some of my other drones. Pretty sure I will keep the mini 3 Pro and let the Air 2S go but ehh, maybe not. I have time to think about it.

I’m looking for the same. I think the Mavic 3 Classic, no remote, one extra battery will do me fine. I already have the RC (and RC-N1 I dont use) and a way to carry it around. I even have the 65w charger already. So, Classic it is. I put my name in on the DJI site to be notified when it would be ready and will either shop there or B&H. I need a few minutes to sort what I want to do with some of my other drones. Pretty sure I will keep the mini 3 Pro and let the Air 2S go but ehh, maybe not. I have time to think about it.
You’ll likely want the $99 hub, too, as without it, the only way to charge your batteries is in the drone! Hard to charge one, while flying with the other!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You’ll likely want the $99 hub, too, as without it, the only way to charge your batteries is in the drone! Hard to charge one, while flying with the other!
I would charge both before I leave the house. The hub only charges one at a time so the difference is down to remembering to swap the battery.

I would charge both before I leave the house. The hub only charges one at a time so the difference is down to remembering to swap the battery.
That and being able to charge a depleted battery while flying with another, or doing updates. It‘s also not very convenient to charge a battery inside the drone. Requires a much larger footprint on the table while charging, and drops and spills can happen. My drone stays safely inside the case when at home. Only the batteries are moved around. This us one of the first DJI drones where, without the hub, even the single battery cannot be charged unless inside the drone. Kind of a pain IMHO.

When and if the Air 3 comes to market it will probably use the same design as the mini 3 pro.
With the vertical rotation on the camera.As far as cannibalizing the midrange models doubtful.
I like the idea of a Mavic 3 classic as the current mavic 3 pro is way over priced.
Yes the mavic 3 classic could put a dent in air 2s sales,but that model is already starting to show its age
as technology has gotten so much better since the air2s was released.
But again I could be wrong ,and probably will be,who knows.
Have a good one.
I made a joke awhile back about if the Mini 3 gets a fan and they call it the Air 3 im done. It is not likely that they are going to Exhaust or change the Mold on the Air 2S based on years of Past History with DJI . What I do think we might see is the Extended battery Setup similar to the Mini 3 Pro as well as some other add ons.

One aspect we wont have to worry about is them taking away a feature from the air 2S calling the Classic. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

In my view the Air2s is one of the best drones DJI ever released. Fewest problems, nice size and flight quality, good camera, all with at a reasonable price. DJI has been trying to do better since and so far I am not convinced of their success.
I plan to sit on what I have until the dust settles and the jury is out.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Extra datapoint. I bought my Mavic 3 ("Standard") in June. It was an unactivated damaged box, discounted to the point it was about £50 above where they've chosen to price the M3C. That suggests that about £1400 was what the market would bear. I think we all know the original selling price was on the high side...

Compared to the Mavic 2 Pro:
- Stupidly strong and stable in wind. By that I mean the footage is actually worth having in the wind, rather than bouncing around a bit on the M2P. The winds in iceland were ridiculous at times, but I didn't get one wind warning
- Image quality is better, but it's not night and day. Where you can see a difference is in poor lighting conditions, dawn and dusk
- The longer battery life is great, and it's rare I need to land because of batteries. Normally I can get up, get my shots and get down with plenty to spare. 2 batteries would likely do the job in most situations with some in-car charging. With 3 batteries I don't even need to bother with that
- In the EU, C1 classification is going to be awesome
- DJI Fly works with a new android phone. Go4 is basically abandoned now

Mavic 3 vs Mavic 3 Classic
If you look at refurb / open box / damaged box, you're likely to find that the premium for a M3 over M3C is minimal, but the M3C has a considerably cheaper DJI refresh package. Something to consider...
Image quality on the 7x is OK, but is considerably poorer than the 4/3rds main sensor. It's hard to mix the footage between the two. I've not found a lot of use for the 7x yet
Happy with what I have, but if I had to replace the drone, likely it would be a classic

I feel personally attacked 🤣
No offense intended! You aren't alone! However, most of those feeling the same way don't know what they are missing. You do, and have made a fully informed choice, which I respect.

By way of example, if some one offered me the Cine version for only $500 more than the Mavic 3 (someone recently did!) I still wouldn't want it! The SSD is a feature I would never use, and don't want. So why pay anything for it?

Extra datapoint. I bought my Mavic 3 ("Standard") in June. It was an unactivated damaged box, discounted to the point it was about £50 above where they've chosen to price the M3C. That suggests that about £1400 was what the market would bear. I think we all know the original selling price was on the high side...

Compared to the Mavic 2 Pro:
- Stupidly strong and stable in wind. By that I mean the footage is actually worth having in the wind, rather than bouncing around a bit on the M2P. The winds in iceland were ridiculous at times, but I didn't get one wind warning
- Image quality is better, but it's not night and day. Where you can see a difference is in poor lighting conditions, dawn and dusk
- The longer battery life is great, and it's rare I need to land because of batteries. Normally I can get up, get my shots and get down with plenty to spare. 2 batteries would likely do the job in most situations with some in-car charging. With 3 batteries I don't even need to bother with that
- In the EU, C1 classification is going to be awesome
- DJI Fly works with a new android phone. Go4 is basically abandoned now

Mavic 3 vs Mavic 3 Classic
If you look at refurb / open box / damaged box, you're likely to find that the premium for a M3 over M3C is minimal, but the M3C has a considerably cheaper DJI refresh package. Something to consider...
Image quality on the 7x is OK, but is considerably poorer than the 4/3rds main sensor. It's hard to mix the footage between the two. I've not found a lot of use for the 7x yet
Happy with what I have, but if I had to replace the drone, likely it would be a classic
All good points. The primary use of the 7x is for exploring, and surveillance from afar of wild life and people, where flying closer would disturb them or reveal your presence, or where you have to remain outside of an NFZ but still want images inside it. A refurbished Mavic 3 is currently only $1750 at DroneNerds.com, which is only $150 more than the Mavic 3 Classic with the same RC-N1. The 7x capability is well worth the $150 difference! Keep playing with it! It now supports Spotlight and POI on static subjects in the latest FW update from yesterday!

Ordered the Classic with RC. I dont need the extra RC but drone alone is not available yet. This will be a nice replacement for my Air 2S until next year (or never) they announce an Air 3. I suspect I will stay with the Mavic 3 but you never know. Main two points are 360 degree sensors and variable aperture.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos