DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loose Gimbal—what next?

jm715

Reactions
View media item 1812
I suffered a crash recently, breaking off a remarkably small piece of plastic atop the gimbal, jarring it loose from the assembly.

Note: I still have video and motion capabilities, but the gimbal is not secure. (As pictured above)

What step should I take next to alleviate this?

Thank you for mentioning me @Simmo

OP it looks like your gimbal plate is broken. Are you going to attempt a self-repair? To repair that plate, and you will need to disassemble the Mavic, drop the gimbal and then replace that part. Most of the time when that part breaks, it tears the gimbal ribbon as well. You wont know if your ribbon is torn or damaged until after you replace the plate. I make a habit of replacing both the ribbon and plate at the same time.

@fstop.labs sells them on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Vibration-Dampener-Assembly-Dampners/dp/B06XF37CGF?th=1

I repair these every day, and Im located in Georgia.

Reactions: jm715
30236D1F-0BA3-4289-BC25-227645D8FB69.jpeg Self repairing and I’ve reached this task— how shall I go about securely removing those cords from the circuit board as I seek to attach my new vibrator plate?

Remove the circuit board and slowly peel off the gimbal cable anywhere it's stuck to the old plate. Don't mess with the silver one, leave it attached to the board.

You definitely want to remove both cables from the gimbal PCB before doing anything with the gimbal plate or unscrewing the gimbal PCB. You have to remove the black ribbon from the gimbal PCB to get the new plate on since the ribbon fits through a slot in the plate. If you accidentally snag or nick one of those cables during the repair, it's going to be alot of pain later.

Also, be careful not to strip the 3 Phillips gimbal PCB screws. Some have silicone in their threads, and you need to apply firm pressure to get through the black stuff unless you can get it all out before you start unscrewing.

You definitely want to remove both cables from the gimbal PCB before doing anything with the gimbal plate or unscrewing the gimbal PCB. You have to remove the black ribbon from the gimbal PCB to get the new plate on since the ribbon fits through a slot in the plate. If you accidentally snag or nick one of those cables during the repair, it's going to be alot of pain later.

Also, be careful not to strip the 3 Phillips gimbal PCB screws. Some have silicone in their threads, and you need to apply firm pressure to get through the black stuff unless you can get it all out before you start unscrewing.

Ok how do I go about doing so securely?

Just did a field test and I’ve got clear video and fluid movement. The one issue I have, however is some wobble to the video itself. Maybe the dampener isn’t fully secure?

With the drone off, move the gimbal motor assembly through all of its axes. Make sure that none are binding or gritty.

After that, can you fly it for a few minutes and see of any of the gimbal motors getting hotter than the others? Could be a bouncy pitch motor.

You didnt replace the video or black ribbon cables, correct?

Last edited:
Problem solved—the rubber bands on the dampener were not all secure. It’s flying good as new again!

Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated! :)

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lzt300b