DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loss of rc signal in Atti mode

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
Anyone know exactly occurs when a air2s flying in atti mode due to low number of satellites loses RC connection. Does it land immediately or hover till low battery ?

Exactly what was the warning when it went into ATTI mode?
If there are insufficient satellites for control, it would simply drift with the wind because it doesn't "know" where it is.

The drone was in atti mode because I had the insta 360 sphere attached .Worst buy ever . I lost rc signal over 50m out over water as I passed behind a chimney . The wind was blowing inland about 10 mph and I had about 50% battery at the time . So I dont know if it defaulted to land into the water or is there a possibility it drifted with the wind back over dry land . Either way an expensive morning.

Exactly what was the warning when it went into ATTI mode?
If there are insufficient satellites for control, it would simply drift with the wind because it doesn't "know" where it is.
DJI programming for that situation is for the drone to land.
But it would be exceptionally rare for your drone to be losing all GPS while flying out in the open.

Reactions: GFields
Out of curiosity I checked some YouTube reviews of the 360 sphere (like the insta 360 camera on a selfie stick). One comment was to make sure you turn on the Air 2s and get a good GPS signal BEFORE you attach the insta 360.
How much did you test this out before you planned a big mission?

Are you sure? I would have guessed it would just blow with the wind but I don’t really know.
From p15 of the manual:
The aircraft may not be able to return to the Home Point normally if the GNSS signal is weak or unavailable.
The aircraft may enter ATTI mode if the GNSS signal becomes weak or unavailable after entering Failsafe RTH.
The aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing.

DJI's thinking seems to be that landing is a better option than drifting uncontrollably without signal and having no ability to RTH.

Failsafe RTH waits until signal has been lost for 6 seconds before initiating.
It's unfortunate that signal wasn't reacquired before the drone was lost.
The drone must have been quite close to the water or It must have been a big chimney to completely block signal for that long.

From p15 of the manual:
The aircraft may not be able to return to the Home Point normally if the GNSS signal is weak or unavailable.
The aircraft may enter ATTI mode if the GNSS signal becomes weak or unavailable after entering Failsafe RTH.
The aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing.

DJI's thinking seems to be that landing is a better option than drifting uncontrollably without signal and having no ability to RTH.

Failsafe RTH waits until signal has been lost for 6 seconds before initiating.
It's unfortunate that signal wasn't reacquired before the drone was lost.
The drone must have been quite close to the water or It must have been a big chimney to completely block signal for that long.
It must have landed after 6 secs , I ran laterally to restore line of sight but the drone had gone by the time reached a clear view , about 1 minute , despite having over 50% battery

Out of curiosity I checked some YouTube reviews of the 360 sphere (like the insta 360 camera on a selfie stick). One comment was to make sure you turn on the Air 2s and get a good GPS signal BEFORE you attach the insta 360.
How much did you test this out before you planned a big mission?
The drone had acquired the homepoint before I attached it , but the number of satellites drops away immediately down to 12 and fewer . I had flown the same flight path without the 360 sphere attached previously and never lost rc signal behind the chimney stack , so the sphere interferes with the rc signal also

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly