DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Air2s

okephoto

Reactions
I was flying my drone from my boat a few days ago and initially everything went well. I then got an "upper sensor failure" message and lost track of the drone. Having searched the last coordinates nothing has turned up. I expect it may have gone home... into the ocean as I was moving.

It's likely a bad move on my part but would be interested in thoughts. What was the elevation when it vanished etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-06-14_[19-44-55][1].txt
    4.2 MB · Views: 21
It would be interesting to know, but I can't get Airdata or Phantomhelp log viewer to read that text file.
I tried PhantomHelp as well with no luck but I'm on my boat with iffy internet. The failure message I find interesting, I wish I had grabbed a screenshot.

I'll grab the txt file again.

What aircraft?

Was it "upper sensor failure" or "sensors are blocked, fly with caution?" Flying into the sun will trigger this warning.

I too own a boat, and you must be VERY careful with several settings to bring it home/keep it with you if under way. I know very well what happens on boats, and in most cases "recreationally", it isn't condusive to piloting a drone.

Sorry for your loss and hopefully you can get the answers you need.

It was a "sensor failure" that came up and that was the end. I've uploaded the txt file again. May or may not work.

Certainly the next time I'm flying from a boat I'll have someone else around. Piloting a boat and drone at the same time is intense!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-06-14_[19-44-55].txt
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
It was a "sensor failure" that came up and that was the end. I've uploaded the txt file again. May or may not work.

Certainly the next time I'm flying from a boat I'll have someone else around. Piloting a boat and drone at the same time is intense!
Sensors weren't the problem.
Everything went well until 16:13.5 when you were flying at full speed in Sport Mode, 92 feet up.
Then the drone pitched hard back and rolled right and started tumbling to the ground.
Signal was lost with the drone 65 ft higher than the launch point.
Google earth shows the elevation of the ground as only 15 ft but there are a lot of tall trees in that part of teh world.
If the trees were >75 ft tall. that's what stopped the drone.
The last location data shows as 48.93813 -123.54839, but given the trajectory and speed of the drone, it would be a little further NNW of there.
It should be only 25-30 metres from the shore, but could be stuck in a tree and difficult to find.

i-nCKWjxC-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I tried PhantomHelp as well with no luck but I'm on my boat with iffy internet. The failure message I find interesting, I wish I had grabbed a screenshot.

I'll grab the txt file again.
You might want to check out those trees for your drone, and to make flying easier off the boat I would recommend the Rescue Jacket for the Air 2S its a fantastic tool that can save you when testing new uncharted waters as well as provide and extended visual in the sky by allowing you to land on the water.

You could also use the Lunar landing Pad to help you land quickly and safely on the Boat.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain.. and land on the Water.
2022-06-07_01h38_56.png
Screenshot 09-26-2020 14.21.14.jpg

Sensors weren't the problem.
Everything went well until 16:13.5 when you were flying at full speed in Sport Mode, 92 feet up.
Then the drone pitched hard back and rolled right and started tumbling to the ground.
Signal was lost with the drone 65 ft higher than the launch point.
Google earth shows the elevation of the ground as only 15 ft but there are a lot of tall trees in that part of teh world.
If the trees were >75 ft tall. that's what stopped the drone.
The last location data shows as 48.93813 -123.54839, but given the trajectory and speed of the drone, it would be a little further NNW of there.
It should be only 25-30 metres from the shore, but could be stuck in a tree and difficult to find.

i-nCKWjxC-XL.jpg
Nice work taking the time to help him. Thumbs up to you.

Congrats on locating the drone. There are some very valuable lessons here in terms of settings when a connection is lost. Do you hover or RTH? If you RTH, is the height set appropriately for your surroundings? You really need to take these things into consideration based on how and where you plan to fly.

Congrats on locating the drone. There are some very valuable lessons here in terms of settings when a connection is lost.
It wouldn't matter what RTH height was set.
Connection wasn't lost until the drone fell down into the forest after hitting a tree.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura