DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost at sea from moving boat

I clicked mine on or left it clicked on...could be the default. I download to AirData anyway so I don't really care if DJI gets the info as well. If there is a problem they are surely going to require it.

Reactions: RMS001
Hi folks
Latest
DJI Amsterdam offering a replacement for 499 euro
They claim it's forbidden to launch from a moving platform
I responded that there are hundreds of Utubes showing easy launching. Seems to
Not be a problem
They say they got my info because I'm synched?
They say 3m/s launch speed too high. 6 mph.
More to come.
Johnn
Did you use auto takeoff? The button that is in the app to takeoff?
Or did you use any other method? It's valuable information.

Thanks!

I clicked mine on or left it clicked on...could be the default. I download to AirData anyway so I don't really care if DJI gets the info as well. If there is a problem they are surely going to require it.
Syncing may make the claim with DJI easier in the long run, but don't care for them to have my logs of flights that don't incur any issues. Much like my car insurance - never will use their app for safe drivers to get a measly small rate reduction and have one possible bad trip and they ding you. That's more intrusion into my life than I care for anyone, esp some company to have on me.

Reactions: NG Wildman
I launched from my new M2S air from a 42 ft boat successfuly. Flew for 5 min and recovered manually by grabbing. Ten minutes later moving at 3 m/s I relaunched and it flew sideways and dived into the sea at full UP stick. Lost for ever...
All that can have a perfectly logical explanation ... we have seen similar scenarios here at the forum several times before & in most cases it's been either of 2 reasons ... unfortunately both are pilot errors.

...More to come.
A really good start to come closer to the actual reason is to share the flight log here ... Go here & upload the mobile device .TXT log (a description over where to find it is further down the page) --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help then come back & share the link the site provides when you've uploaded the log.

Reactions: AZDave
Hi folks
Latest
Not be a problem
More to come.
Johnn
TBH, that's not a bad offer. I too have launched from boats (anchored) off the coast of Dublin, it's a dangerous game. It's been quite cold and windy recently, I definitely wouldn't have done it in the current weather

Hi folks
Latest
Not be a problem
More to come.
Johnn
I get a feeling you havnt understod why its risky to launch from a moving platform even if it moves slowly.
With that attitude, it will happen again.

Reactions: AZDave
Hi folks
Latest
Not be a problem
More to come.
Johnn

You launched from a moving platform and immediately tried to fly off somewhere ... over water no less ... and yet you don't understand why that is risky even though the manual explicitly says not to do this. On top of that you seem to think YouTube knows more about how your drone works than DJI does. There's a moral here somewhere.

Reactions: sar104
I get a feeling you havnt understod why its risky to launch from a moving platform even if it moves slowly.
With that attitude, it will happen again.
I need to ask here surfbird where it says you should not lauch from a moving platform? I won't be doing it again for sure and I am glad that they are sending me a new one at 500 euro but....... I have seen dozens of movies of drones being launced from much faster boats than 6 mph and many videos showing actually how to do it!! And, I cannot find a BIG warning on the DJI instructions not to do it. Maybe you can wise me up please?

All that can have a perfectly logical explanation ... we have seen similar scenarios here at the forum several times before & in most cases it's been either of 2 reasons ... unfortunately both are pilot errors.

A really good start to come closer to the actual reason is to share the flight log here ... Go here & upload the mobile device .TXT log (a description over where to find it is further down the page) --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help then come back & share the link the site provides when you've uploaded the log.
I am not sure what you mean. The only file I have is on the DJI controller I think which I can see on the Iphone. Is that the one. DJI actually have decrpted my file and sent me the full readout - now that is scary!!!!

You launched from a moving platform and immediately tried to fly off somewhere ... over water no less ... and yet you don't understand why that is risky even though the manual explicitly says not to do this. On top of that you seem to think YouTube knows more about how your drone works than DJI does. There's a moral here somewhere.
I havent found that warning so please point it out. I don't think that utube knows more but lets face it if hundreds of experienced folk are launching from moving boats quite easily and with no adverse effects it is easy to believe that its ok. But I am keen to know where it says not to do it please?

TBH, that's not a bad offer. I too have launched from boats (anchored) off the coast of Dublin, it's a dangerous game. It's been quite cold and windy recently, I definitely wouldn't have done it in the current weather
Are you a local drone guy in Dublin? The cold was not a factor at 14 degrees. No wind. 6mph boat speed. Went up and then straight down into the sea which came as a bit of a shock for sure!! John

I am not sure what you mean. The only file I have is on the DJI controller I think which I can see on the Iphone. Is that the one. DJI actually have decrpted my file and sent me the full readout - now that is scary!!!!
If you don't use the DJI Smart Controller (which mainly is a Android device with the same internal folder structure as in a Android phone) you don't have any flight logs in your controller.

For a Mavic Air 2s it exists 3 different flight logs ...

1. a .DAT log, generated & stored in the craft ... encrypted & can only be read by DJI if they get their hands on the craft.

2. a .DAT log, generated by the DJI Fly app & stored in the mobile device (or SC) you flew with. For MA2s it's unfortunately also encrypted & can only be read by DJI & they get it if the DJI Fly app syncs to the DJI cloud service (which is default).

3. a .TXT log, generated by the DJI Fly app & stored in the mobile device (or SC) you flew with. This one is readable for us through various web services & 3:rd party PC programs. DJI get it if the DJI Fly app syncs to the DJI cloud service (which is default).

If you want to learn something through this mishap so you can prevent it from happening again ... we can assist, but in order to do that you need to share the .TXT log.

Go here ---> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & scroll down a bit to "Locating Your Flight Logs", read up & retrieve the log & either upload it to the same site there, & share the link they provide or attach the .TXT log directly here in a new post.

I need to ask here surfbird where it says you should not lauch from a moving platform?
He showed it in the highlighted line in post #3
I have seen dozens of movies of drones being launched from much faster boats than 6 mph and many videos showing actually how to do it!!
I don't remember seeing any ... can you point to one?

Really .. we need to see your flight data to work out what actually caused the problem in your incident.
Instructions are in post #8

Reactions: AZDave and surfbird
He might have seen this:

This looks extreme and risky, but it's done in the correct way. It uses CSC to start, throw upwards, behind and no stick input until drone stabilizes. Sensors disabled.

I havent found that warning so please point it out. I don't think that utube knows more but lets face it if hundreds of experienced folk are launching from moving boats quite easily and with no adverse effects it is easy to believe that its ok. But I am keen to know where it says not to do it please?

You didn't read post #3 above?? It clearly shows the DJI warning.

He might have seen this:

That's the only launch from a fast moving boat video I've seen.
The Phantom has user selectable Atti Mode which is perfect for launching from a moving boat.
With that the drone isn't fighting to hold position and isn't upset by the speed of the boat.
Mavics don't have that feature.

I'd still like to see the flight data to see what actually caused the loss of the drone.
So far that is just a mystery.
I'm not sure that the boat movement had anything to do with the incident at all.
I'd expect that if boat movement was a problem, that might prevent launching.
It shouldn't cause the drone to fly sideways and dived into the sea at full UP stick.
That sounds more like a yaw error issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gringorio
That's the only launch from a fast moving boat video I've seen.
The Phantom has user selectable Atti Mode which is perfect for launching from a moving boat.
With that the drone isn't fighting to hold position and isn't upset by the speed of the boat.
Mavics don't have that feature.

I'd still like to see the flight data to see what actually caused the loss of the drone.
So far that is just a mystery.
I'm not sure that the boat movement had anything to do with the incident at all.
I'd expect that if boat movement was a problem, that might prevent launching.
It shouldn't cause the drone to fly sideways and dived into the sea at full UP stick.
That sounds more like a yaw error issue.
You have to admit it's a pretty cool launch :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121