DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost at sea from moving boat

You have to admit it's a pretty cool launch :)
As long as you don't mind having the gimbal shorting out from being drenched with salt water, which the crew comments on in a longer version that's out there.
In those conditions the drone was a completely disposable single-use item.
But still worth it to the sponsors for the vision they were able to capture.

What the video from the Volvo race doesn't show is the catcher's rain gear sliced open and a nasty gash on his arm that required stiches.

1638558072578.png

I hate it when people use meters per second for velocity. Nobody knows what that is.

I hate it when people use meters per second for velocity. Nobody knows what that is.
I hate it when people try to speak for everyone based on just their own biases and preferences.

I hate it when people try to speak for everyone based on just their own biases and preferences.
I'm only speaking for 99.99% of people. If you asked the average person, how fast is 5 meters per second, in mph, they wouldn't know. Stupid DJI started that ********.

I'm only speaking for 99.99% of people. If you asked the average person, how fast is 5 meters per second, in mph, they wouldn't know. Stupid DJI started that ********.
You are simply displaying your own ignorance if you cannot visualize a distance 5 meters (close enough to 5 yards since you obviously like imperial units) and count one second. It's the standard international unit of speed. And DJI gives you the option to use imperial units anyway.

By the way - most of the world doesn't use mph either.

Nobody knows metric?

18300.jpeg

It's a scary thought, but there's a whole world outside whatever village you live in.

If you ever had to do any speed-time-distance calculations relating to your drone's flight, you'd appreciate the metric system.

and its great that DJI and other drone makers realise this fact ,and allow us to choose how we want the flight information shown in the app when we are flying
i grew up in a imperial system UK before metric ,was more commonly adopted
and i still prefer MPH and Feet and inches ,but i have to accept that everything changes over time
i can remember a lot of the older guys who worked at the engineering firm i was at ,when the first CNC machines which were all metric came out ,had two micrometers a metric and an imperial one
and they used both of them side by side to check diameters during the machining process
and all the machine drawings had metric and imperial measurements printed on them

You are simply displaying your own ignorance if you cannot visualize a distance 5 meters (close enough to 5 yards since you obviously like imperial units) and count one second. It's the standard international unit of speed. And DJI gives you the option to use imperial units anyway.

By the way - most of the world doesn't use mph either.
I thought he was talking about the speed of the boat here:

Ten minutes later moving at 3 m/s I relaunched and it flew sideways.

Yes, anyone can covert it, but wouldn't it be better to use normal ground speed units, like mph or kmh?

Nobody knows metric?

18300.jpeg

It's a scary thought, but there's a whole world outside whatever village you live in.

If you ever had to do any speed-time-distance calculations relating to your drone's flight, you'd appreciate the metric system.
The normal metric ground velocity is kmh. Not meters per second. In this case, I think he is talking about the speed of the boat, not the speed of the drone.

The normal metric ground velocity is kmh. Not meters per second. In this case, I think he is talking about the speed of the boat, not the speed of the drone.
There's nothing at all wrong with expressing a velocity in metres/sec.
There is something wrong with suggesting that no-one understands m/s or that DJI started it.

Metres/sec is the basic metric unit of velocity used worldwide (except for a couple of holdout countries).
In car speedometers, km/hr is used because that's a more meaningful unit when you are travelling greater distances.
It takes almost no time at all to get used to using m/s for drone work.

I thought he was talking about the speed of the boat here:

Ten minutes later moving at 3 m/s I relaunched and it flew sideways.

Yes, anyone can covert it, but wouldn't it be better to use normal ground speed units, like mph or kmh?

Boat speeds are also measured in knots, not mph or kmph.

Reactions: AZDave
Exactly what Phantomrain.org was saying. Using his gear you can land on the water.
Why? He's just stating that flying from water is very hazardous - i.e. - he lost his drone. For future flights from water / boat - taking proper precautions and using some type of flotation device makes sense.

Exactly how fast is 30.78 MPH? What does that even mean? Is that in mules puking hubris?

But more importantly - DJI didn't start the use of the metric system - and converting to meters per second to kilometers per hour is pretty easy, too, because it is metric: 0.005/3600 ... [km * s/hr] = 18 kph if I did the math right. And divide by 1.6 for mph --- but then are we talking the statue mile, nautical mile, the Roman mile, or any of the following versions of the mile?

ps: As for knots for boat speeds, knots are generally used for airplanes, too.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000