DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost at Sea :( Please Help3

Seems to be a very high risk flight to have the RC "moving" and expect RTH to work correctly. . .Seems to me the manual fails to point out in detail how this really works. (How would we know the RC is about to disconnect and we need to set a new RTH location of the controller. . .)

Hey, I am currently active duty in the USCG. I'm stationed on a buoy tendor and tried to launch my drone off the buoy deck. As soon as I turned everything on, I received a magnetic interference message. After seeing that message, I thought it would not be a good idea to launch from the Cutter. You have to remember, the ship is a HUGE metal object, with radars and other equipment. I gurarantee you that is the reason you lost control of your drone. Too much interference from the ship.... Semper P

Hey, I am currently active duty in the USCG. I'm stationed on a buoy tendor and tried to launch my drone off the buoy deck. As soon as I turned everything on, I received a magnetic interference message. After seeing that message, I thought it would not be a good idea to launch from the Cutter. You have to remember, the ship is a HUGE metal object, with radars and other equipment. I gurarantee you that is the reason you lost control of your drone. Too much interference from the ship.... Semper P

I don't think you can "guarantee" anything. The OP stated he had done the same exact thing many times before. Why wouldn't the ship and radar explination you offered have caused the same outcome the very first time he tried it? Or the second, or third, and so on?

I had the same thing happen yesterday while fishing 80 miles offshore, at a slow troll i launched my Mavic Pro from hand it went up and down but would not move forward or backward. I have not installed the latest update and it has worked in the past thank God It was almost out of sight but i was able to maneuver my boat under it and lower the drone.....I thought it was a goner fore sure!

Knowing a little about the flight deck of Coast Guard Cutters they are made of steel. I am surprised you didn't get a magnetic interference warning, then with all the other electronics running as you're getting underway it's no surprise the drone was confused.
As a retired Coast Guard Chief I'm also surprised that you were flying your drone during special sea detail instead of doing your job. Lol

Reactions: Pdxpaul
I don't think you can "guarantee" anything. The OP stated he had done the same exact thing many times before. Why wouldn't the ship and radar explination you offered have caused the same outcome the very first time he tried it? Or the second, or third, and so on?
True, guarantee was a poor choice of words. "In my opinion" the ship's interference caused the drone to malfunction. He had done it before with no issues, it still does not mean it could not have affected the drone that time specifically. I'm just saying from my personal experience, trying to deploy from a buoy deck of a Coast Guard ship, i was getting magnetic interference. And my Cutter was moored, to the side of a pier, his Cutter was underway, so all navigational, radio, and radar equipment were on and working.

Right but it may be a considerable amount of time before I can send them the file. Have you ever heard of someone getting their mavic replaced without sending in the drone? If the TXT file shows it was their fault?

Do I have to have an internet connection to get the TXT File?
they replaced mine after like 20 back and forth emails, logs, and screenshots, as mine was a NFZ issue. yep flight logs... and in my case persistence.

I've done it before, and haven't had issues. Had this update pushed by DJI not been in place things would have gone a lot differently. This is one of the reasons I bought the drone, morale reasons underway. Having this thing literally stripped away from me in horror, because of an update DJI Pushed is unacceptable in my eyes. Before I deployed, I updated the firmware, as I always do to stay current underway. I believe and hope that DJI will understand my point of view, and replace my device because of this firmware update that was out of my control.
Please don't read any scolding in my prior posting -- I totally blame DJI for this. They should replace your MP free of charge, and throw in a Fly More package for your trouble.

Rather, I was just seeing a lesson in all this: If you don't control the boat, don't launch from it. Not being able to be 100% confident some sort of strange behavior might make something like this happen (who knows what DJI will throw at us next), seems prudent to be able to get the boat back under the aircraft if something goes wrong.

Not something I would have thought of without your experience. For example, I might have launched from the deck of a cruise ship... now I wouldn't.

Reactions: Derlisz
No worries ship mate more of a dogging you then anything else because I remember special sea detail, I was always in the engine room.
I have had a similar issue on my own boat but it was my fault went from facing away to facing me because it drifted after lift off because I had the downward obstacle avoidance turned off I panicked, the only thing that saved it was it's legs and the rail.
Other things I read into your fatal flight was all the not test flying it after an update.
Either sorry for your loss man.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89