DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost connection

Searat290

Reactions
Mavic 2 pro lost connection at approximately 600 ft away and 85 ft altitude. I had it in sight and it simply hovered for a few moments and very accurately returned to home over trees houses etc. I was able to cycle sc and aircraft off and on to reconnect. Question is does this happen often and considered routine or should i contact dji?

It was sudden. Ive done range tests in open country and watched flight and video signals degrade with some real time view breakup. At a point signals drop off kind of quickly but never completely lost connection. Also in this case it wouldn’t reconnect . Still wondering if i hit some control that caused it.

P. S. I went back up immediately and continued to fly fairly close until battery got low. No more problems. In every other way I am extremely happy with this little machine! Just dont want to lose it.

It was sudden. Ive done range tests in open country and watched flight and video signals degrade with some real time view breakup. At a point signals drop off kind of quickly but never completely lost connection. Also in this case it wouldn’t reconnect . Still wondering if i hit some control that caused it.

I saw a few instances of the SC randomly disconnecting back when I was testing it for data security, but I haven't heard of that happening much recently.

This happened to me recently in the middle of doing a Circle Quickshot. The controller lost communication with the drone and it was left hovering 20 feet above me, and directly over a steep slope. It would certainly have been damaged or lost had it lost power at this stage.

I panicked for a moment, but then exited out of the controller app and restarted it, at which point it reconnected to the drone and I could land it safely.

Disconcerting that it didn’t try to return home, but that was perhaps because it was within 60feet? But had it tried to land where it was i probably would have lost the drone.

I need to go back to the Mavic manual, but I think there is a delay before the aircraft uses RTH. To allow a few minutes in case of reconnection. Seems like forever, but I think about 5 minutes. I don't have the nerve to test disconnection RTH. LOL

Reactions: jumblemon
I need to go back to the Mavic manual, but I think there is a delay before the aircraft uses RTH. To allow a few minutes in case of reconnection. Seems like forever, but I think about 5 minutes. I don't have the nerve to test disconnection RTH. LOL

It's two seconds, not five minutes. After two seconds of lost uplink, failsafe RTH engages and the aircraft will retrace it's path for 60 seconds to try to regain the uplink. If that fails it will climb to the set RTH height (if not already at or above it) and proceed directly to the home point.

I’m this case I received a message that the drone was disconnected and the screen went black and white. When I looked up (and out) the drone was stationary at 80 ft AGL (I assume because that is the altitude when I lost connection)It remained there for several moments and then returned to home. I have return to home set at 80 feet so it didn’t have to go up first. It came back and landed inches from take off point. Shortly later I turned it and the sc off and on again and it flew perfectly for the rest of the battery charge. Dont know why it didnt happen in 2 seconds, it was at least 5 minutes.

I’m this case I received a message that the drone was disconnected and the screen went black and white. When I looked up (and out) the drone was stationary at 80 ft AGL (I assume because that is the altitude when I lost connection)It remained there for several moments and then returned to home. I have return to home set at 80 feet so it didn’t have to go up first. It came back and landed inches from take off point. Shortly later I turned it and the sc off and on again and it flew perfectly for the rest of the battery charge. Dont know why it didnt happen in 2 seconds, it was at least 5 minutes.

The disconnect message was on the app or the RC? If it was still connected to the RC then it would just hover in the absence of stick inputs.

Must have been the app, as that sounds like how it behaved. Just don’t understand how the app could fail on a smart controller, but am happy if that was it. Flight since that incident has been flawless.

Must have been the app, as that sounds like how it behaved. Just don’t understand how the app could fail on a smart controller, but am happy if that was it. Flight since that incident has been flawless.

I've seen that happen with a CS. They are running Android, which is no more stable on those devices than anywhere else.

I have thought back about the sequence of events and it matches that scenario. I just wasn’t thinking about the fly more app being a separate entity from the controller. Of course it makes perfect sense. Also explains why I couldn’t find reference to a controller disconnect in flight records. I hadn’t mentioned that because I figured folks would think I was crazy. Lol

I have thought back about the sequence of events and it matches that scenario. I just wasn’t thinking about the fly more app being a separate entity from the controller. Of course it makes perfect sense. Also explains why I couldn’t find reference to a controller disconnect in flight records. I hadn’t mentioned that because I figured folks would think I was crazy. Lol
I get loss of video link on my SC (black and white frozen screen) in around 1 in every 7 -10 flights. RC is always connected and all controls work fine. Before i figured out what was going on I noticed the M2P wouldn't initiate RTH for a few minutes automatically (seems it doesn't know straight away that video is gone) - now I just press the RTH button straight away and all is good.
This is an annoying bug (it is a bug because it can happen at very short unobstructed range) and I wish DJI would fix soon...

The mystery and worry is totally solved for me. I forgot for a bit that we were dealing with a computer and programming here. When i started flying rc aircraft there wasnt a computer in sight. Nearest one was illiac at the U of I. I do not miss those days. Ilove this mavic business. Ill get the hang of it with enough practice.

This has happened to me twice. 1st time it happened it was about 3/4
mile away and flying at 100 ft with clear sight & no obstacles are buildings in the way. When I lost connection it just hovered and I couldn't get anything to work, after about 10 minutes I got in my car and drove to where it was hovering and still could not get a connection. It was not until I restarted my SC did it go into rth and I just followed to see if it would actually land in the same spot. (Which it did) It happened again a couple of weeks ago about 3 blocks away at 200 ft. This time I waited about 2 minutes before I did a restart of the SC and again it went into rth mode which I canceled and took over the controls. I really hope somebody can find the reason this is happening

I had this happen to me today. I was about a 1/2 mile away, 80 feet up and lost signal. Walked over to the drone and sill no connection. Walked it home and landed it safely. Reading these updates, looks like you need to re-boot your controller while the drone is in flight. ( I do not know if I have the cojones to do that one yet)

So it seems there is some bug in the app on the SC that crashes. The controller stays connected to the drone but the app shuts down.

I seem to have traced the issue with having an SD card in the controller that seems to malfunction and crash the app

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japester