DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost GPS and almost fly away with insta 360 on top

BarrySDCA

Reactions
I purchased a camera mount off Amazon to put on top of the Pro Platinum and hold an Insta360 One X. This was just a test flight to see how it would work - it didn't. shortly after takeoff, the aircraft went into atti mode and started to fly away. I put it down and seems like I almost saved it but it crashed into a flag pole. Just some busted props, all good. This is a heads up in case anyone else was thinking of trying it, be careful.

I do have the entire event on 360 video though :D

This brings up a question - how do you safely mount a Insta360 One X on a Mavic Pro Platinum? I thought about hanging it down but not a lot of room down there to land and take off. thoughts?

thank you in advance

I purchased a camera mount off Amazon to put on top of the Pro Platinum and hold an Insta360 One X. This was just a test flight to see how it would work - it didn't. shortly after takeoff, the aircraft went into atti mode and started to fly away. I put it down and seems like I almost saved it but it crashed into a flag pole. Just some busted props, all good. This is a heads up in case anyone else was thinking of trying it, be careful.

I do have the entire event on 360 video though :D

This brings up a question - how do you safely mount a Insta360 One X on a Mavic Pro Platinum? I thought about hanging it down but not a lot of room down there to land and take off. thoughts?

thank you in advance
Can you post a pic of your current mount? Looks top heavy in the video.

The pics at the top of this review are mine. It was a bit wobbly but I had control and good GPS when I took off. It wasn't until the aircraft switched to atti mode that it started flying away towards the street, I had to put it down. It was out of my sight when it started hovering above the flagpole and I kept the stick down...

I have since purchased this mount that hangs it under but I'm not yet sure how I am going to take off or land, even if I put extended legs on it.

I can't wait to get up there and shoot some 360 video! Really appreciate any advice!

thank you

This is one that may help.
Yeah! With a mount like that? You already have the handle to launch and hand catch.
Very easy and the best way to go.

That's what can happen when you change the center of mass... you can see the drone wiggling just after takeoff.

Do you have a .DAT log? I'd like to see what the IMU was thinking about this mod ?

Also lol at hitting the flagpole :D Chinese attack! ?

Reactions: Texas Mavic
That's what can happen when you change the center of mass... you can see the drone wiggling just after takeoff.

Do you have a .DAT log? I'd like to see what the IMU was thinking about this mod ?

Also lol at hitting the flagpole :D Chinese attack! ?

I've been flying with Litchi lately. tend to like it better. Does it have a log somewhere? I can dig it up if it does. on an ipad.

thank you

shortly after takeoff, the aircraft went into atti mode and started to fly away.
There's a big difference between flying away and drifting with the breeze in atti mode.
In atti mode the drone is still quite controllable but having no position holding and no brakes can be disorienting the first time.
I've been flying with Litchi lately. tend to like it better. Does it have a log somewhere? I can dig it up if it does. on an ipad.
You can still get a .txt file from Litchi.
You'll find instructions here: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

There's a big difference between flying away and drifting with the breeze in atti mode.
In atti mode the drone is still quite controllable but having no position holding and no brakes can be disorienting the first time.

You can still get a .txt file from Litchi.
You'll find instructions here: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
I suppose it could be a drift, I never really fly in atti mode. But there wasn't much wind from what I can remember and also it seemed like it was going somewhere rather than just slightly drifting. that being said, it did go down when I pushed the stick down.

I'm starting to think I should give it another go but try to lower the camera closer to the aircraft.

I also have the bottom mount here now. was just told I need to shut off my bottom sensors to fly. may not be that big of a deal, I usually fly in sport mode anyway. but I don't like the not able to land w/out hand catching and stuff. we shall see

either way new video soon :D

I'm starting to think I should give it another go but try to lower the camera closer to the aircraft.
Block the GPS antenna's view of the sky and you risk having to fly in atti mode.

I also have the bottom mount here now. was just told I need to shut off my bottom sensors to fly. may not be that big of a deal
Flying with the bottom sensors disabled is no problem - they really aren't a lot of use anyway.
But flying with the bottom sensors enabled and blocked by something attached to the drone can cause big problems.

I was in GPS mode at takeoff. a couple seconds after liftoff it all went south...well east actually... atti mode and you saw the rest.

It was most likely not using GPS at takeoff, but instead using optical positioning. That's still a P mode but once the aircraft is airborne and ascends it would lose optical positioning and switch to ATTI. The flight log will clarify exactly what happened, if you are interested.

I suppose it could be a drift, I never really fly in atti mode. But there wasn't much wind from what I can remember and also it seemed like it was going somewhere rather than just slightly drifting. that being said, it did go down when I pushed the stick down.

I also have the bottom mount here now. was just told I need to shut off my bottom sensors to fly. may not be that big of a deal, I usually fly in sport mode anyway. but I don't like the not able to land w/out hand catching and stuff. we shall see

either way new video soon :D
You can hear the wind in the video [emoji3]

Reactions: BarrySDCA
You can safely put cameras on top of your drone, just don't do it right in front of the battery as that’s where the GPS antenna is. Best to put them above or over the front of the nose- it can handle it. Also, always check your GPS signal strength and satellite number during your pre-flight check.

3826D1D6-5C38-421A-A65B-8A8BC9B82B9D.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I found just before takeoff I lost 3 satellites and then the rest after takeoff. It went into atti mode. didn't even notice the wind till GavieboyDji pointed it out.

While the camera mount on top probably is not safe as it obstructs the GPS, this was entirely my fault. I'm itching to try it again, just been so foggy here lately. I may drive inland to a water reservoir and try it.

I found just before takeoff I lost 3 satellites and then the rest after takeoff. It went into atti mode.
It sounds unusual that it acquired sats at all but lost them later.
One would think that if the camera was blocking GPS, it would have blocked all the time.
Can you share the flight data?

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada