DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost Mavic Pro

Sounds good, what is the requirement there for that? It would be interesting if you had a pics of the battery that you could share with us. Also, was there any damage to your roof? It would seem that the terminal velocity would have been huge and could have punched a hole or caused a leak possibly. Quite the high density projectile, LOL. You didn't describe what was visible inside, if anything. Could you count the cells, were they damaged as far as you could tell?
Took the battery to local recycling centre.Damage to roof was s broken tile just pleased it didn't hit any of us in the garden.Will try to attach picture of battery from my phone. No sign of leaks in fact the battery still switched on with no visible leaks.

Sounds like you caught a break. A quick calculation puts your 1/2 lb. battery at over 100 mph when falling from 370 ft. in altitude. That's a lot of energy to dissipate in a fairly concentrated impact area. I know I wouldn't want to be hit by it. Or even consider trying to catch it now I know the speed and mass!

The drone is small, look in one of the trees, right or left. it is light, it could be caught up on something, not necessary on the ground.

It can also be hard to see, because of the color of the drone and background. hopefully no one picked it up.

Which raises the question if a drone will "Auto-Rotate" in after power loss as with helicopters?

I believe helicopter rotors free wheel during unpowered auto rotation, building up speed Then after rotor speed is sufficient at a very low altitude, the pitch is adjusted to a lift configuration to arrest the rapid descent. A drone doesn't have the capability to either free wheel or adjust pitch. As I've mentioned previously, the glide ratio of a safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAW and Chris1960
Does anyone make a strap to secure the battery in case it should loosen, or maybe a strong rubber band?

These things can hide anywhere next to a rock next to a tree in a tree in a creek in his shadow. On a branch on a house on a car you name it that’s where it will be. Sorry I can’t help.

Which raises the question if a drone will "Auto-Rotate" in after power loss as with helicopters?

As already posted, the short answer is no.

To perform an auto rotation, the helicopter pilot must dump the pitch in the rotor blades from positive to negative (no lift). This causes the air flow through the rotors to spin the rotors up (store energy in the rotors). Just before landing (impact), the pilot will pull positive pitch in the rotors and use the stored energy to slow the helicopter's decent. None of this is possible with fixed pitch rotors.

Nick

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne