DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost my MAVIC in western fjord in Iceland

It occurs to me that a useful thing to have in your bag would be a small thermal camera since the bird would be hot for quite some time after a flight.
I have one made by Seek Thermal that works pretty well and Flir makes portable units also. I think I'll start packing it with me.

Great idea!!!

Mine gone fishing in Jökulsárlón - Glacier Lagoon :)

I put two little "Getter Back" floats on my Mavic. They are designed to get your fishing reel back. After going down about 1 meter they pop out a bright yellow float with thirty meters of line that is still attached to your Mavic. DJI wants the drone back before they will replace it.

Here is the last movie taken before I lost it.. following stupid mistake.

I finished my shots and decided to drain the battery. So I flew to the side to shoot the water fall.

I "forgot" that I am flying within the walls of a waddy...

Using FIND MY DRONE I managed to cross the river with my car and than climb up the cliff full of bushes... After 2 hours I gave up.

I guess I was as close as 10m but as its battery was drained I could not turn on his beep nor lights.

In the attached photo you can see the accurate coordinates.

I wish that somebody can find it and keep it for himself.

I just want the SD card with his content.

Yow! I know that look. Crashed mine and got the same looking footage. I found mine though.

Here is the last movie taken before I lost it.. following stupid mistake.

I finished my shots and decided to drain the battery. So I flew to the side to shoot the water fall.

I "forgot" that I am flying within the walls of a waddy...

Using FIND MY DRONE I managed to cross the river with my car and than climb up the cliff full of bushes... After 2 hours I gave up.

I guess I was as close as 10m but as its battery was drained I could not turn on his beep nor lights.

In the attached photo you can see the accurate coordinates.

I wish that somebody can find it and keep it for himself.

I just want the SD card with his content.

First of all, Amazing view .
I wish we had landscape like that around our hometown.
As for your Mavic, since it landed safely somewhere, someone would find it eventually.
I hope you will be able to get it back.
In case you will not.... and will buy a new one (can't resist it) I suggest you buy GPS tracker ($25 on Aliexpress) . It will not turn off when the Mavic battery die.
Try to contact locals via web to help you search for it.
Other than that - I really wish you good luck

Reactions: MrsTreat
Some update.

After I posted the coordinates a local Icelander tourist guide found the drone.

We started a long process of negotiation, in which he agreed to return the SD card, but refused to return the drone.

I did my best to resolve the issue in good faith, but he kept saying that the drone is broken (though he posted a photo showing it is one piece.. ), than he said that the drone is in the possession of his friend, that he was willing to return it for a "search fee" of more than the drone value.

He left me no way but placing an official complain with Iceland police.

That sucks - totally unlike any Icelandic I ever met - and I was stationed there for a year backpacking all over and meeting the people.
I would also contact the tourist board and explain how this makes their country look bad - the guides are usually registered.

That is really unfortunate to hear! I made an attempt at finding it when I went there the last week of October, but had no luck finding it. Now i know why. Sorry to hear that he is being like that. Apparently the one selfish Icelander found your drone.

It occurs to me that a useful thing to have in your bag would be a small thermal camera since the bird would be hot for quite some time after a flight.
I have one made by Seek Thermal that works pretty well and Flir makes portable units also. I think I'll start packing it with me.
Those things are not cheap! You could about buy a refurbished Mavic for a thermal camera!

Those things are not cheap! You could about buy a refurbished Mavic for a thermal camera!
I have one for my Android phone 320x240 costs around $200. You can get them for iPhones too.

Seek Thermal

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird