DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LOST MY MAVIC MINI TODAY...I WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED

thanks, so mad at me....but how can you check the wind on the app while you are in the air?
You need to check "winds aloft" starting at flight level 3 or 3,000 feet. It will give you an idea of the winds from surface to that level. If they are high, stay low or fly inside.

I watch it...but I watch local bulletins too...for exemple in my zone (Lake Garda - Italy) most time it is wrong. So I suggest to check "windfinder" too and local bulletins.
Or maybe in Italy the information is not as good as the USA I don’t know.
But in Florida I’ve had to be spot on a week in advance.

Yeah, it's definitely different at a higher altitude. My UAV Forcast said today that it was 5mph at the ground but 22 at 100ft. I took my mini out this afternoon and went straight up. Around 80ft, I got the warning and immediately came back down to around 50 or so and flew around without incident. It's such a lightweight drone that I'm finding that more often than not, the day's aren't good for high flying in Pittsburgh. Perhaps the summer will bring more favorable weather.
Good luck!

Reactions: Capt KO and m80116
Just for an example of how quickly winds can increased with attitude, here is an example. I live in an area with trees around my neighborhood, so wind at ground level seemed like about 10-15mph, but here is what it was higher up that day...
8b8cc8e7bc406816d8add074e2a5c0ff.jpg

Reactions: Capt KO
I think the DJI Fly warning "Strong wind warning. Aircraft unable to fly stably. Lower altitude immediately and manually return to home (Code: 30149) " is self-explaining enough.
A real pity it is not said out loud so you can miss it on the phone display.

Reactions: Capt KO
...but how can you check the wind on the app while you are in the air?
Two ways:
  1. At hover, look at the "radar" display. Any amount off of horizontal indicates wind speed and direction.
  2. Note drone speed at full throttle on a calm day. If it fly's faster on a windy day it is going with the wind. If flying slower it is against the wind. Crosswinds will slow it down less but will be indicated on the radar display. It will use more power as it tilts against the wind to maintain course.

Well I’m sorry that stinks, seeing so many minis checking out,wind is not the mm’s ally

Two ways:
  1. At hover, look at the "radar" display. Any amount off of horizontal indicates wind speed and direction.
  2. Note drone speed at full throttle on a calm day. If it fly's faster on a windy day it is going with the wind. If flying slower it is against the wind. Crosswinds will slow it down less but will be indicated on the radar display. It will use more power as it tilts against the wind to maintain course.
The Fly app for the mini doesn't have the attitude indicator like the one in the Go app.
The Fly app has a crude relative position indicator but that's it. Even that only shows 180 degrees in front of you.

If you find the Mini losing ground, switch to sport mode and descend. Do so before you lose signal, since signal loss results in RTH and RTH has the same speed limits as normal mode.
Normal mode has a speed limit of about 18MPH so avoid flying in gusts higher than that unless you know how to cope with higher winds.

The MM is light so even in winds it can cope with, it can seem like it is struggling. It doesn't have the mass to provide intertial damping in changing winds like the heavier Mavics do.

The Fly app for the mini doesn't have the attitude indicator like the one in the Go app.
The Fly app has a crude relative position indicator but that's it. Even that only shows 180 degrees in front of you.
Thanks for the info.

I watch it...but I watch local bulletins too...for exemple in my zone (Lake Garda - Italy) most time it is wrong. So I suggest to check "windfinder" too and local bulletins.
Thank you all guys for your replies.
I will definitely be more carefully next time too, however my RTH is setup for 40 feet high to avoid trees and stuff.
I know i got some warning but was scared to drop altitude because of trees.
Lets see what DJI can do ;)

Here is the app screenshot i just installed.
So it says no good to fly now for exemple, however the other windows put green under 100 feets high, do you consider safe to fly if i stay under 100 feets, or not ?

Attachments

• 2C1680BB-E83E-4F87-BC09-7FA0C1D4BCB9.png
    2C1680BB-E83E-4F87-BC09-7FA0C1D4BCB9.png
    573.8 KB · Views: 28
  • FEC3F750-42D2-446C-824C-54FD5715D6B4.jpeg
    FEC3F750-42D2-446C-824C-54FD5715D6B4.jpeg
    637.3 KB · Views: 25
Depends on the frequency and duration of the gusts, since UAV forecast shows gusts at 17mph.
I wouldn't worry much about sat lock in UAV. The Mini will issue it's own warning if insufficient sat.

My Mini hasn't let me down on days where winds were of concern, but I hadn't flown high for long if I got wind warnings in the app, even when it didn't show signs of drifting.
Just like getting to know the traction limits of a car in bad weather, get to personally know how your Mini handles before pushing it further.

By the way in UAV forecast, you can set threshold settings including the altitude to base it on. Default is ground level.

thanks, so mad at me....but how can you check the wind on the app while you are in the air?
Alex, sorry to read about the mini.
So I have a couple pointers. Not sure if they have been said or not. But here we go.
1. Always fly on a 100% battery
2. With the mini, always calibrate the compass before every flight, even if it dosnt ask for it.
3. Go to the NOAA.gov website. There in the table view of the weather in your area, you can look at 100 ft winds.
4. Cross check the information on aviation weather HEMS tool. That tool is designed for emergency helicopter operations. There you will get more lower level wind/weather information.
5. Weird as it seems, a drop in altitude can prevent many situations.

I live in the desert sw. Winds here are often sudden and unexpected. There been times I'll see leaves flying through the air, but barely feeling anything on the ground. Also, before you fly, stop. Watch for a few minutes. See how clouds are acting, tree tops, watch any birds in the area flights. Seems weird, works for me. I'll also do a test flight if things seem questionable: 40ft hover, 60fr Hover, 70ft. Ect.

I know this seem mundane, but it works.

Best wishes on recovery

- Dale

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard