DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost My Mavic Pro

Reactions
Well, it took more than a year but I finally joined the many that have lost a drone. I will accept that it was pilot error to avoid having the many posts identifying what I did wrong. I don't really believe that but you can judge for yourself when you see the log. I have been searching the area that seemed like the most likely resting spot to no avail. I am wondering if one of you with the great math/navigation skills can give me a more precise area to look. I imagine that it is up in one of the tall oak trees in the area. The files are the last two flights where things got squirrely.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-03_[16-14-30].txt
    71.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-03_[16-09-38].txt
    150.9 KB · Views: 44
What program do you use to open these files...???
When I hover my mouse over each file...
It shows a .txt extension...
Which I generally use notepad to open...

Not enough information. I assume that it was the second log that describes the flight that got lost. The multiple speed and yaw errors are likely indicative of a compass problem at the launch site, but it will need a lot more detail than "squirrely" and probably the mobile device DAT file to figure out exactly what happened.

As for final location, it was climbing vertically when the log ended - again - the circumstances of the end of the log need much more information from the OP to explain since the download signal, which had been poor, became strong once the aircraft climbed back up to 40 m. However, that final location clear, and so I'm not sure what further analysis is possible to refine the estimate of where it ended up.

It looks like at around 285 seconds in it dropped into ATTI mode due to a compass error (still looking into that, the tablet DAT may be of some use there). It switched back into GPS mode at around 341 seconds even though it continued to ignore all GPS data.
At this point it presumebly disconnected with around 26% battery remaining. I'm really not sure what the Mavic would due in this senerio as it is in GPS mode, but is not actually using the GPS data, thus I doubt if it could RTH. I'm interested as to what @sar104 will turn up and what would actually happen in this scenario.
Mavic Pro lost 2.PNG
As you can see in this second chart, even though the Mavic switches back into GPS mode, OSD_isGPSused reamains False. MP lost 2.PNG
This would technically be the new RTH route although I doubt it could have performed this without GPS.

Attachments

• Lost my mavic 2.PNG
    Lost my mavic 2.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 164
Not enough information. I assume that it was the second log that describes the flight that got lost. The multiple speed and yaw errors are likely indicative of a compass problem at the launch site, but it will need a lot more detail than "squirrely" and probably the mobile device DAT file to figure out exactly what happened.

As for final location, it was climbing vertically when the log ended - again - the circumstances of the end of the log need much more information from the OP to explain since the download signal, which had been poor, became strong once the aircraft climbed back up to 40 m. However, that final location clear, and so I'm not sure what further analysis is possible to refine the estimate of where it ended up.
Which log were you looking at?

Which log were you looking at?

The same one that you were (DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-03_[16-09-38]). It switched into ATTI due to the large speed error, and after that the large yaw error. GPS health dropped to zero and never recovered, so I'm not sure why it went back into GPS_Atti. It was in autolanding mode at the end, but with throttle applied to prevent it from landing. The disconnect is a mystery - it almost looks as if the app disconnected or was turned off.

Reactions: MavicCF
The same one that you were (DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-03_[16-09-38]). It switched into ATTI due to the large speed error, and after that the large yaw error. GPS health dropped to zero and never recovered, so I'm not sure why it went back into GPS_Atti. It was in autolanding mode at the end, but with throttle applied to prevent it from landing. The disconnect is a mystery - it almost looks as if the app disconnected or was turned off.
Ahh, that’s what I was missing. I didn’t see the throttle up there at the end, I was wondering why auto landing stopped...

It seemed to take off on it's own - guess that is when it went into ATTI mode and then flying in circles at the end, I don't think was me because I didn't even have a connection to the drone at that time.
It looks like at around 285 seconds in it dropped into ATTI mode due to a compass error (still looking into that, the tablet DAT may be of some use there). It switched back into GPS mode at around 341 seconds even though it continued to ignore all GPS data.
At this point it presumebly disconnected with around 26% battery remaining. I'm really not sure what the Mavic would due in this senerio as it is in GPS mode, but is not actually using the GPS data, thus I doubt if it could RTH. I'm interested as to what @sar104 will turn up and what would actually happen in this scenario.
View attachment 40159
As you can see in this second chart, even though the Mavic switches back into GPS mode, OSD_isGPSused reamains False. View attachment 40160
This would technically be the new RTH route although I doubt it could have performed this without GPS.

Thanks so much. I will Use the diagram to resume my search. Jeff

Reactions: Tony56
It seemed to take off on it's own - guess that is when it went into ATTI mode and then flying in circles at the end, I don't think was me because I didn't even have a connection to the drone at that time.

When you say "no connection to drone at the time" Do you mean that you lost the connection on your phone or tablet? Or are you saying the remote control also disconnected?
because as Sar suggested, it sounds like you lost your picture on the phone, and quit trying to fly the drone all together when you still had a connection to the remote.

I would say that you could pretty much disregard the above image I posted. Your Mavic was not using any GPS signal and thus could not have followed the RTH path home.
As last we knew, it was hovering over the trees in Autolanding mode (although prevented from landing by your stick input), it is fairly safe to assume that it ended up landing right there. Since this is the case, I think this image may be more helpful to you. The target area is the red circle. Trees 2.PNG

Reactions: CandyMan_ZA
I would say that you could pretty much disregard the above image I posted. Your Mavic was not using any GPS signal and thus could not have followed the RTH path home.
As last we knew, it was hovering over the trees in Autolanding mode (although prevented from landing by your stick input), it is fairly safe to assume that it ended up landing right there. Since this is the case, I think this image may be more helpful to you. The target area is the red circle. View attachment 40169
You folks who help like this are wonderful. Nice to see colleagues coming together to help solve a problem. Kudos to all of you.

I went today but the area is now built up (with a new car dealership) since the satellite picture and the car dealer folks were coming and going. I'll go back tomorrow when they are closed and take another drone to see if I can see anything from above. Thanks for the help so far and the lack of criticism/ judgment that creeps into so many of these postings.

Reactions: Kschimbeck
I went today but the area is now built up (with a new car dealership) since the satellite picture and the car dealer folks were coming and going. I'll go back tomorrow when they are closed and take another drone to see if I can see anything from above. Thanks for the help so far and the lack of criticism/ judgment that creeps into so many of these postings.
Good idea about the other drone, hope you find it!

State Farm will cover drones against any loss. Full value, no depreciation, no deductible for about $60/yr on a "personal article" policy.

Reactions: ROBERTNCREST

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54