DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lost My Mavic Zoom

bird attack? any eagles/hawks in the area? i get hawks chasing my smaller models all the time, it is crazy annoying.
Unless the bird sneaks up and smoothly turns off power at the battery without disrupting the drone's flight, a bird attack would leave evidence in the flight data.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Looked at your data. Odd, seems normal. At this point I would say hardware failure. Maybe the dreaded compass error lots of people experience. I'd go search again in the same area, might get lucky.

Compass error along with logic board failure. Very possible. It's what we call a total component failure. A fast chain reaction. Seen it before many times.

In a fit of rage i threw my RC and phone on the rocks near the river mouth causing the RC to fall into the river and breaking my cellphone on the rocks.

Lol, in for a penny.

On Holidays is the worst time to lose a Drone, so I can empathise if not sympathise.

I'm usually emotionally blunt when I know I've just lost a Mavic.
I find it pays to be in a little bit of denial about it until you have replaced it/refreshed it.
When you have your New Drone, That's the time to Mourn, or...Emote.

If you have the $ to throw your smartphone in a river, you probably have the
$ to replace your Mavic 2 with minimum Fuss.
The important thing is your son didn't see you throw a tantrum

Some people go without food to pay for a Mavic 2. Those are the people I worry
about losing their Drone.

But anyway, Good luck with Refresh. I'm sure they will do the right thing by you.

Reactions: Dragonfly and RPSM
Compass error along with logic board failure. Very possible. It's what we call a total component failure. A fast chain reaction. Seen it before many times.
Real incident investigators only suggest what they can see actual evidence of rather than guessing and making things up.

Last edited:
Bird strike/attack is a possibility.

No .. it's not.
A bird strike would show clearly in the recorded flight data.
unless it pushed drone out of connection area. but, it is too much speculation. to avoid speculation - one should always use an independent gps tracker system to find a drone that stopped communicating.

Unless the bird sneaks up and smoothly turns off power at the battery without disrupting the drone's flight, a bird attack would leave evidence in the flight data.
Highly doubt it is a bird attack, would have seen it in the video or around there

Looked at your data. Odd, seems normal. At this point I would say hardware failure. Maybe the dreaded compass error lots of people experience. I'd go search again in the same area, might get lucky.
That maybe a possibility that it could have picked up compass issues, that object in the river that I was trying to get close to when it disconnected was made of metal and could have had some impact on the compass hence it could have lost its heading and maybe why it failed to return home, I searched that area again yesterday and failed to come up with anything since it was like 190 km from me I ended spending the day there but came up empty

Lol, in for a penny.

On Holidays is the worst time to lose a Drone, so I can empathise if not sympathise.

I'm usually emotionally blunt when I know I've just lost a Mavic.
I find it pays to be in a little bit of denial about it until you have replaced it/refreshed it.
When you have your New Drone, That's the time to Mourn, or...Emote.

If you have the $ to throw your smartphone in a river, you probably have the
$ to replace your Mavic 2 with minimum Fuss.
The important thing is your son didn't see you throw a tantrum

Some people go without food to pay for a Mavic 2. Those are the people I worry
about losing their Drone.

But anyway, Good luck with Refresh. I'm sure they will do the right thing by you.
Yes it is worst time for anyone to lose a drone especially one with a 64gig card in it that has a lot of videos - Well I do not have the $ but I am looking into buying another one very soon. The phone that I use of recent is a cheap android so not expensive- used to use iPhone 10 but started using it for work emails and wanted a stand alone one just as a screen so took my sons old android worked well while it lasted

unless it pushed drone out of connection area. but, it is too much speculation. to avoid speculation - one should always use an independent gps tracker system to find a drone that stopped communicating.
That is exactly what I will be getting for my next drone- I saw a good one that uses a sim - wonder if that will cause any issues because it will be picking up cellular reception

That maybe a possibility that it could have picked up compass issues, that object in the river that I was trying to get close to when it disconnected was made of metal and could have had some impact on the compass hence it could have lost its heading and maybe why it failed to return home, I searched that area again yesterday and failed to come up with anything since it was like 190 km from me I ended spending the day there but came up empty

That's not what happened - even if it had been close enough to see some magnetic interference, that would have gone away when it ascended to RTH height.

Funny how people dismiss magnetic interference so easy while lots of drones have gone down due to it. Pretty irresponsible if you ask me.

"Soft iron, alloys of iron and nickel, common steel, and some types of stainless steel can all be easily magnetized, even in a weak field.

When these materials are in the vicinity of the electronic compass and rotate with the electronic compass, they become magnetized and demagnetized depending on their orientation to the earth’s magnetic field. Instead of seeing a constant field that would produce a perfect circle as the electronic compass turns, the electronic compass sees a field of varying magnitude that maps an elliptical shape."

That's from engineers. Also, I'd like to point out that there's a possibility that the compass shielding isn't sufficient on these drones, and a change in the field for whatever reason can confuse the cpu.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
Funny how people dismiss magnetic interference so easy while lots of drones have gone down due to it. Pretty irresponsible if you ask me.
Funny how you keep spouting this nonsense.
Just point to any hint of a compass issue in the data if you want anyone to take you seriously.

**Hint** There are none there

Im not knocking what your saying @Trollistika . But I have flow up very close to many metal structures, water towers, bridges, billboards, giant Firestone Tire(was a Ferris wheel), I have even flown directly up to a cell tower several times with MP1 & MP2Z, and never experienced any negative response. Maybe I am just lucky?

Reactions: Dragonfly
Im not knocking what your saying
You should because he just makes things up
But I have flow up very close to many metal structures, water towers, bridges, billboards, giant Firestone Tire(was a Ferris wheel), ... and never experienced any negative response. Maybe I am just lucky?
No ... you just haven't gone close enough.
You'd probably have to be around 10 ft or closer before the compass would complain.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
Possibly?? but its less than 10 feet before problems arise, Definitely not the smartest thing to do, but I have flown directly to within 5 feet several times to a cell tower antenna without issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky