DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

lost signal - drone backtracks for 30 or more meters?

icesailr

Reactions
I saw a comment in a post that a Mavic will backtrack for 30 or so meters trying to regain signal ?
Was this an old feature, or would the Air 2 do this if signal lost, before it initiates
either hover, land or rth as you've set it up to do?

I saw a comment in a post that a Mavic will backtrack for 30 or so meters trying to regain signal ?
Was this an old feature, or would the Air 2 do this if signal lost, before it initiates
either hover, land or rth as you've set it up to do?
RTH is one of the most important aspects of drone flying to understand properly.
The manual is a good source of RTH information and has 4 pages on the topic.
For instance, this is from page 14 ..
Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 11 seconds.
The aircraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route, and then enter Straight Line RTH.
The aircraft enters Straight Line RTH if the remote controller signal is restored during Failsafe RTH.
After flying for 50 m:
1. If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point, it flies back to the Home Point at the current altitude.
2. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point and the current altitude is higher than the preset RTH altitude, it flies back to the Home Point at the current altitude.
3. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point and the current altitude is lower than the preset RTH altitude, it ascends to the preset RTH altitude and then flies back to the Home Point.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I don't quite understand the manual. What's the point of flying backward for 50 m ? It will go into straight-line RTH no matter connection is restored or not afterwards.

Last edited:
I don't quite understand the manual. What's the point of flying backward for 50 m ? It will go into straight-line RTH no matter connection is restored or not afterwards.
It is to attempt to reaquire the control signal from a better location.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If you've lost signal because you flew behind an obstacle, retracing the drone's path is usually the quickest way to reconnect and avoid an unnecessary RTH operation.

this does not seem to happen on my MPP, i believe it was introduced on the second gen Mavics with Occusync 2 ,does the MA2 have the same feature ,i do not own one so that is why i ask

It is to attempt to reaquire the control signal from a better location.

Also, if you lose signal under an obstacle, e.g., a bridge, you don't want the drone to ascend at that location. I did not know about this aspect of RTH and did lose connection under a bridge. My bad for not being in VLOS, but I was afraid to RTH, because I thought it might ascend into the bridge.

I should re=read the manual, but does the M2P RTH behave the same ?

RTH is one of the most important aspects of drone flying to understand properly.
The manual is a good source of RTH information and has 4 pages on the topic.
For instance, this is from page 14 ..
Failsafe RTH
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH automatically activates after the remote controller signal is lost for more than 11 seconds.
The aircraft will fly backwards for 50 m on its original flight route, and then enter Straight Line RTH.
The aircraft enters Straight Line RTH if the remote controller signal is restored during Failsafe RTH.
After flying for 50 m:
1. If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point, it flies back to the Home Point at the current altitude.
2. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point and the current altitude is higher than the preset RTH altitude, it flies back to the Home Point at the current altitude.
3. If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point and the current altitude is lower than the preset RTH altitude, it ascends to the preset RTH altitude and then flies back to the Home Point.
Thank you, I had read that section of the manual and seen other comments online. I was asking because it seems as the FLY app is updated, some functions go away as others take their place,
so you see things in the manual (which is not updated very often it seems) that are no longer applicable.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone