DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Loveland Pass Flyover 4K

thebigbaddan

Reactions

I've flown in this area several times in the snow... and finally got a clear day with no wind, it's usually super windy up here. This is one of my favorite places ever to snowboard... you park down below at the switchback, and hitchhike up to the peak. The middle of the valley is really great, and there are some really great steep tree runs. I never make it to the far end of the valley, so I've been excited to fly over there and check it out. Ever since getting (ordering?) this drone I've been wanting to fly this area! (And attempting too, but usually with high winds, low visibility, and snow...)

I'm using an ND 32 filter, I thought that should add more pop, but I'm not sure I have the camera settings down. Any tips on what camera settings and filters I should be using on a bright day like this would be most appreciated!

@Coskier - I finally got to fly the pass on a clear day without wind!!!! :)

Also, the range in this environment seemed unlimited. I flew to the other side of the valley and had no range issues at all. I'm sure I could have gone farther than I'm comfortable with, but I want to be careful on this type of terrain. (There's no chance of hiking to that other side at night with my 10 year old!) I can fly way farther in the wilderness than the outskirts of town for sure!

oh...I just noticed...Mavic Air ? not M Pro? wow...great range... How far and high? I have not taken my M Air out too far or high yet...mostly cuz of high winds.

oh...I just noticed...Mavic Air ? not M Pro? wow...great range... How far and high? I have not taken my M Air out too far or high yet...mostly cuz of high winds.

Mavic Air for the win!!!!!

Total distance: 13,664 ft. I went about 4300 feet out. The altitude was higher than I should have flown, I was 700 feet up from the landing spot, but that's coming from the peak over on the east side. I would not recommend flying that high, especially at that altitude, but it did great. I didn't have any transmission issues, I could have went farther but got a little nervous that far out, and really just wanted to capture that valley.

While I wouldn't recommend flying in high winds, the Air has handled VERY well in moderately high winds for me. I don't fly if the Air gives me high wind warnings though. It can definitely hold its own in 20-30 mph winds, but above that it's too sketchy. There was NO wind on this day, which is very rare for the divide. Usually the wind is howling up there!

Reactions: tiparoch
Hey. Thanks alot for that! I watched again. I was there when l was a kid, but summer time. I had spent a summer in Boulder. Im originally from N.M. , the 4 corners region. Regardless of where it is, you should be proud of your footage. Really great. I was interested in your wind experience. I have flown mine out in some really howling winds ( not seeking it out just when l can fly, l live in a huge city and no M.Air flying). Though l have been careful not to go too far or high up, l have been amazed at how stable the M. Air is in major wind

I look forward to some calm flying.

Have you thought of tracking yourself while snow boarding? I am enjoying the different functions it has.

Thanks again!

Thanks @tiparoch! Re: tracking myself: Nope. Wouldn't fly it without hands on the controller.... no way would I trust it while bombing down a mountain! I used active track on my daughter when she was sledding, and it tracked her then lost her. Active track is cool, but not reliable. Definitely not hands-off reliable. Unless it's a "walk through the park" demo.

Yes... Loveland Pass is one of my fave places EVER... I'm looking forward to flying further around those peeks. There's crazy places I'd like to snowboard, and checking out the terrain from a drone first is on eof the reasons I bought the drone.

Yeah l hear you big time on the ' hands on' part.
It is s function l futz around with but usually lm just running down a beach, controller in hand. Duh.

I have stated to appreciate the Tap and Fly mode for freedom in filming.

Anywho . . .great to hear of your snowboarding adventures and getting good use from your bird!

All the best.

Reactions: thebigbaddan
I got a clear, calm day on the 10th...

I've flown in this area several times in the snow... and finally got a clear day with no wind, it's usually super windy up here. This is one of my favorite places ever to snowboard... you park down below at the switchback, and hitchhike up to the peak. The middle of the valley is really great, and there are some really great steep tree runs. I never make it to the far end of the valley, so I've been excited to fly over there and check it out. Ever since getting (ordering?) this drone I've been wanting to fly this area! (And attempting too, but usually with high winds, low visibility, and snow...)

I'm using an ND 32 filter, I thought that should add more pop, but I'm not sure I have the camera settings down. Any tips on what camera settings and filters I should be using on a bright day like this would be most appreciated!

@Coskier - I finally got to fly the pass on a clear day without wind!!!! :)

Also, the range in this environment seemed unlimited. I flew to the other side of the valley and had no range issues at all. I'm sure I could have gone farther than I'm comfortable with, but I want to be careful on this type of terrain. (There's no chance of hiking to that other side at night with my 10 year old!) I can fly way farther in the wilderness than the outskirts of town for sure!
Very nice! We live in Colorado up here in Estes Park and I can totally relate to the winds. This time of year until about April/May the winds are blowing all the time up here. A normal day is 25-30moh winds and gusts of 75+mph isn't uncommon. You were very fortunate to have a day up there with little to no wind! I'm jealous! Happy and safe flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21