DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Lucky escape caught on 4k!

The other worry of flying with the bubble is that it impedes cooling and, as a result, is likely to shorten the life of the MP's components. If you look above where the bottom clip on the bubble connects, you'll see a ventilation grill, which is covered if you've got the bubble on. Presumably this is something that's fine in the short term (e.g. when learning or from time to time due to particular circumstances) but not great if done over the lifetime of the Mavic.
Should mention, that although this has been mentioned many times within the forums, I've not seen an "official" take from DJI. Would be interested in getting an assessment from someone at DJI.

Not to start an argument - but this is a thread you should really read about flying with the camera bubble on. It's a very scientific look at this very issue and it is eye opening:

Gimbal bubble tests; some observations

Thanks to ThunderDrone and the other contributors.

Not to start an argument...

No argument here (as I mentioned before, I was looking for the "official" take from DJI) and appreciate that someone took the time to systematically research this and share the findings.

Not to start an argument - but this is a thread you should really read about flying with the camera bubble on. It's a very scientific look at this very issue and it is eye opening:

Gimbal bubble tests; some observations

Thanks to ThunderDrone and the other contributors.

I am trying hard not to start an argument but:

1) I am personally not flying my Mavic with the dome on mainly because it turns the video into crap and secondly I DO believe that the internal heat is higher. Measuring the fins of a heat sink is not giving you a full picture of what is going on at the components junction points. Also a static test when the Mavic is on a bench producing the least amount of heat is also not conclusive in any shape or form.

2) Thunderdrones measurement of a 77MPH fan speed sounds way off. Maybe I am missing something.

3) How did this Rumor start up that DJI says you should fly with the Dome ON?

On Page 6 of the manual under the heading of "Preparing the Mavic for flight" It clearly states to remove the Gimbal cover and the clamp. It also clearly states that you should only use them to protect the gimbal when the Mavic is NOT IN USE!

If you look at the whole manual there is not a single point past page 6 where they show the Mavic with the Gimbal cover on! At the same time they do show several illustrations of the Mavic in flight operation with the Gimbal cover off.

Rob

Last edited:
No worries. The nice thing about this hobby is everyone has a different style and preference. I hate that also lol. Too many bugs out there.
True. But still, I cringe a little when I see the flare. I'd rather ruin the gimbal (and have to buy a new drone or fix the gimbal) than ruin video footages. But yeah, to each his own.

BTW, the gimbal is not as fragile as many make it out to be. I've hit a lot of bugs/branches/leaves with it and no problem. Also picked up a lot of dirt while hovering close to the ground (I live in the desert called southern California) and no problem. Naturally, I try to avoid all the debris, since that is bad for the Mavic (not just the gimbal but the drone as a whole).

1) I am personally not flying my Mavic with the dome on mainly because it turns the video into crap and secondly I DO believe that the internal heat is higher. Measuring the fins of a heat sink is not giving you a full picture of what is going on at the components junction points. Also a static test when the Mavic is on a bench producing the least amount of heat is also not conclusive in any shape or form.

2) Thunderdrones measurement of a 77MPH fan speed sounds way off. Maybe I am missing something.

On Page 6 Under the heading of "Preparing the Mavic for flight" It clearly states to remove the Gimbal cover and the clamp. It also clearly states that you should only use them to protect the gimbal when the Mavic is NOT IN USE!

If you look at the whole manual there is not a single point past page 6 where they show the Mavic with the Gimbal cover on! At the same time they do show several illustrations of the Mavic in flight operation with the Gimbal cover off.

Rob

How did you not read the line in the manual directly above the one you quoted. What does it say? The picture of the Mavic in the GO app has the cover on and drone powered on. There is a slot cut out for airflow. Also, if it were intended for protection while traveling they would not have made it clear or need to have a rubber protector to keep it from being scratched.

Last edited:
How did you not read the line in the manual directly above the one you quoted. What does it say? The picture of the Mavic in the GO app has the cover on and drone powered on. There is a slot cut out for airflow. Also, if it were intended for protection while traveling they would not have made it clear or need to have a rubber protector to keep it from being scratched.

What does it say because I am not seeing what you are talking about.

When DJI first released the Mavic they implied that the cover should be left on. As time passed they changed that position and stated that the cover should be removed.

The Slot on the gimbal cover is not sufficient in size to allow nearly the same kind of airflow that passes through the Mavic as it would with the gimbal cover off. Of course all of this is really a mute point since the main problem is that it messes up a lot of your video if you leave it on.

Rob

Last edited:
What does it say because I am not seeing what you are talking about.

When DJI first released the Mavic they implied that the cover should be left on. As time passed they changed that position and stated that the cover should be removed.

The Slot on the gimbal cover is not sufficient in size to allow nearly the same kind of airflow that passes through the Mavic as it would with the gimbal cover off. Of course all of this is really a mute point since the main problem is that it messes up a lot of your video if you leave it on.

Rob

"The gimbal cover is used to protect the gimbal. Remove it when necessary.
Use the Gimbal Clamp and Gimbal Cover to protect the gimbal when the Mavic Pro is not in use."

That seems clear to me. Remove it when necessary. (Like when you would rather have great footage and risk damage)

Where has DJI ever changed their position? I just saw one of their employees say it was not an issue on the DJI forum.

I think with all the evidence we can say it is not an issue. Unless you have some testing to show the slot is not big enough?

On Page 6 of the manual under the heading of "Preparing the Mavic for flight" It clearly states to remove the Gimbal cover and the clamp. It also clearly states that you should only use them to protect the gimbal when the Mavic is NOT IN USE!

Rob

Everyone is entitled to there opinion including you, but no ones asked you to start an argument.
So stop preaching your point of view to the point that your almost bullying us to take it off. Take your cover off, i bet most of us couldn't care less.
at the end of the day its our drone, and we can do what we like to it!. just tone it down a little man, and we will all get along
And for the record iv kept my cover on for more than 30 hours 600km (182880ft), im a electrical engineer, i design the stuff for a living, if i had the slightest concern on my $1500 drone I would be taking it off.

lets get back to the actual post, woah what a close one!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to there opinion including you, but no ones asked you to start an argument.
So stop preaching your point of view to the point that your almost bullying us to take it off. Take your cover off, i bet most of us couldn't care less.
at the end of the day its our drone, and we can do what we like to it!. just tone it down a little man, and we will all get along
And for the record iv kept my cover on for more than 30 hours 600km (182880ft), im a electrical engineer, i design the stuff for a living, if i had the slightest concern on my $1500 drone I would be taking it off.

lets get back to the actual post, woah what a close one!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have no idea why you feel like I am bullying you. You can do whatever you please with the cover. Just don't tell people that DJI says it should be left on. That is not what they state in the manual.

"The gimbal cover is used to protect the gimbal. Remove it when necessary.
Use the Gimbal Clamp and Gimbal Cover to protect the gimbal when the Mavic Pro is not in use."

That seems clear to me. Remove it when necessary. (Like when you would rather have great footage and risk damage)

Where has DJI ever changed their position? I just saw one of their employees say it was not an issue on the DJI forum.

I think with all the evidence we can say it is not an issue. Unless you have some testing to show the slot is not big enough?

Remove it when necessary means remove it when your going to power up or fly the drone! If not leave it on. If you believe it to be otherwise then explain why all the illustrations of the drone in flight are with the gimbal cover off?

Last edited:
I'm just surprised that you say you don't care about the quality from using the Gimbal Cover but yet you bother to film in 4K?

Reactions: Robbyg
Thanks man
im happy with that slight annoyance of the flare, small trade off for helping me protect the fragile gimble from damage, dust, bugs etc
im no professional,
The problem with keeping the cover on is that there is a cooling fan behind it and your mp might not last too long getting hot over and over. I've seen it happen to my friends, his battery would overheat and his flights were 1/2 as long as mine with the cover off. But I guess as long as the gimbel lock is off it's still flies.

I'm just surprised that you say you don't care about the quality from using the Gimbal Cover but yet you bother to film in 4K?

I feel ur a very irritating person to be around
I will film in 4k with the bubble as much as i like, il rub a little vasaline on the lens for good measure so it picks up dirt and debris to add more character to the image. Suck it up mate. If u carnt handle the heat then keep out of the conversation

Last edited:
Flying low over a creek, i didn't expect a line to be strung across so low, nonetheless i was caught off guard flying at the most unlucky height. I hadn't noticed i hit the wire until i reviewed the 4k footage and noticed the slight wobble. very minor cosmetic damage to the rear prop (probarly due to the tilt). the video tells it all. an inch higher and it would been a complete disaster.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

enjoy!
Haha this happened to me I think I have it in video I'll have to dig through my videos to find it

I see you started a poll regarding this, so I edited my comment here and posted it there.

I agree with you IN PART, but it's still gun wrenching to watch the horrible videos with the gimbal on.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123