DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2 Pro, question with Focus in Pano mode

Paul2660

Reactions
I rarely use the the Pano modes with the M2 Pro, however today I wanted to try out a 9 shot horizontal since I had pretty even light.
I am using the SC, and once in any of the Pano modes, I no longer could use AF or MF. This appears to be true with any of the pano modes. As soon as you move to a different photo mode the AF/MF controls return. With SC, you still see the AF/MF towards the upper right of screen, but you can not activate either. The green box for AF shows up on the screen, but pressing the screen with your finger, does not enable AF. If you switch to MF, the MF control slider doesn’t show.

I then switched over to my old controller, and iPad. Here in Pano modes with iOS the entire AF/MF area on the screen just goes away. So again you have no ability to focus. As soon as you move to a different mode the AF/MF area comes back.

My concern is I don’t trust the touch to AF with the DJIGO4 and manual focus is IMO impossible as you can’t zoom to 100% view to really check your focus, so I tend to use AF. Before any series of images, I will hit AF, center of the screen as I don’t feel that the drone keeps the exact AF after a series of shots or if you yaw or move around. It’s no big deal to just hit the AF box to make sure.

My issue here is if you happen to be slightly out of focus before going into a Pano mode, the resulting image will be ruined. I don’t remember this being the case with the MPP, but I have not flown mine in months.

I just prefer to check focus with AF, before any series of shots, as I have had many manual panos ruined by having images slight out of focus.

Does anyone know of a way to make AF work in any of the pano modes with the M2 PRo?

What I am doing for now is use AF, then switch to MF which should lock the obtained focus, then switch to the pano modes hoping that the focus stays consistent between mode switching.

Paul C

I record video in between all my panos, so switching modes from video to photo immediately resets the focus, and makes sure it is sharp, before starting the pano. When switching back to video, it resets exposure and focus again.

AF is not meant to be switched during (or before) the single exposures ... it's like with another cam, all settings should remain untouch for the scene.
That said, it appears that the pano mode automatically tries to set focus to infinity on the very first shot. I've not had a problem with sharpness on my panoramas but I did notice what you described.

Last edited:
AF is not meant to be switched during (or before) the single exposures ... it's like with a another cam, all settings should remain untouch for the scene.
That said, it appears that the pano mode automatically tries to set focus to infinity on the very first shot. I've not had a problem with sharpness on my panoramas but I did notice what you described.
When shooting automated spherical panos with GO 4 on the M2, have you figured out where to start the pano for best overall exposure? I believe it uses the first shot as the exposure setting for all, so carefully choosing the best starting direction and gimbal elevation would seem to make a difference. Focus does seem to get set to infinity, and when returning to video mode, focus often seems to be set to MF, instead of AF.

You pretty much always want to be in manual focus unless you are flying extremely close to something. With the M2P, it's wide angle lens and such a tiny 1" sensor, virtually everything is in focus from about 2-3 feet in front of the lens to infinity as soon as you're a little ways up in the air. F2.8 on the M2P is equivalent to F8 DOF on a DSLR, F4 equivalent to F11, etc.

The easiest way to set this is to turn on focus peaking, and point the drone at something in the distance - you can do this on the ground or in the air. Roll back the MF (don't just set it at infinity) until everything is reported as in focus and leave it there. I haven't change the focus on my M2P since I bought it and everything is always perfect. You don't want to be Autofocus using under normal circumstances as it can ruin your shot when it hunts or briefly adjusts.

After that, you'll be all set for video, photos, and panoramas all the same unless you end up flying extremely close to your subjects, then you will need to change it, but for the vast majority of typical flight scenarios that is all you will ever need to do.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Thanks to the responses, as it appears this is normal behavior. I just will continue to use AF to get what I hope is good focus, then switch to MF before moving to the "pano" modes. There is considerable distortion of the M2 Pro camera when looking down really defeats the shots anyway, as the outer edges are elongated.

I am always in MF. However I also don't believe the M2 Pro or any DJI drone, holds MF over time, i.e. focus drifts and or the AF used on one scene may or may not get the entire frame. I have countless shots where the AF missed just a tad, enough that the image is not really worth much. As you can't zoom to 100% and See your image like most cameras allow, you are totally depending on a AF system like the iPhone uses. Not the best for checking, and trying to use MF without a 100% zoom of the image is pretty worthless. Peaking or no Peaking.

So I tend refocus with AF before any series I am hoping to use later in stills (not interested in in video as much). I don't AFC either as that's even worse at not holding critical focus depending on where the camera is aimed. (sky or dark area, odds are the camera will miss but still give confirmation).

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21