DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2E Spotlight VERY Useful . . I saw the Light!

Cookedinlh

Reactions
I Saw the Light . . and it was GOOD! . . but not for what I thought it was designed for. I did some night time search and rescue type testing with the M2E Spotlight. It's just not very useful for finding things in the dark . . unless you are looking for your Mavic. I've published more details and a video in my Blog Page @ www.inskyphoto.com.IsawtheLIGHT.jpg

Follow up on more night time test flight: Tue 18 Dec 18
The usefulness)of that spotlight at night is extremely limited for what I assume it was intended for. . . seeing things on the ground at night. It's not very useful for that. Note the camera settings were initially on AUTO so opening everything up with MAX ISO and slower shutter speed might work better. Tonight I went Manual setting to wide open at Max ISO (3200 in manual) made the scene quite a lot more useful but VERY grainy in video and then only until actual night ( >30 min after sunset). After that point there was not much light even with the Spotlight ON if you are above 100 ft or so (tree tops) at 200-300ft AGL or higher looking right at a dog or person on the ground was near impossible on an iPhone but possibly doable on the CrystalSky 7.8". I will have my BOSON 320 hooked up on my M2E with the ChrystalSky 7.8" next week and we should see a major difference in target acquisition no no doubt. For now, I have a VERY blurry video of a white dog running around in the beam from~250ft and the person walking with it. As soon as he walks out of the beam he's virtually lost and even after a few minutes of maneuvering. I expect the FLIR would have picked them out instantly and be much easier to follow . . . we'll see.

This first photo is Spotlight ON <30min after sunset 80m (260ft) . . Second one is same area full night now ~45min after sunset (80m) Spotlight ON (Dog in center of the beam)

M2ENightISO3200.JPGM2ENightISO3200-Dog.JPG

Last edited:
I think you're missing the point as to what it's capable of in terms of picking things out in darkness.
Like checking structures in the dark that are way above ground or out of sight and would require man hours to go and inspect.

Yes there are likely many special jobs where a bit of extra light will be handy. My testing so far I think shows as a general lighting tool it’s uses are limited. Now combined with DJIs next releases I think they are really onto something and that is modular payloads with a common interface.... possibilities seem endless. Also if the light eventually can follow the camera view ie stabilized and coincident with the view then general and specialized tasks are way more useful. Walk then run!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147