DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Saw the Starlink Satelite Train : WOW

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Our for a walk tonight and see what looks like Green LED lights across the sky moving about 10 of them .
My inital thought was to get the drone up in the air, not knowing what they were at the time and very excited indeed.

So not alien but still pretty cool , needless to say by the time I went back out , they were gone.
Its a lot like seeing a Whale I imagine in the ocean , it was spell bounding and many people have some good video of what I saw first hand.

This is not my video but at least I can confim its real. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm and Seek out Alien life.

Recently seen them last month and around Christmas time last year.

Looked like Santa and his sleigh cruising across the night ski. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Incredible : Yet another walk tonight and I saw that same stream of Solar Panels in the sky about 30 of them and I ran into get the drone and by the time I got back, they were gone again. Thats Ok seeing this twice was a nice GIFT .

I will let Elon know that I saw his Solar Sleigh yet again. lol

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: MA2 317
Yet another walk tonight and I saw that same stream of Solar Panels in the sky about 30 of them

If you're up early Saturday morning (23 Sep 23) you may have a chance to see Starlink train 6-13 a couple of times.

First pass will be low on the horizon and the other will be higher in the sky.

6-13...4:51 am - 5:06 am
6-13...6:27 am - 6:43 am

Both trains are in a higher orbit (further away) so the reflection from the solar panels may be weak.

Here's the flight paths.

Screenshot_20230922-215450.pngScreenshot_20230922-215630.pngScreenshot_20230922-215703.png

I might have the chance to see group 6-12 & 6-13 here in central Indiana.

Good luck 🤞

Reactions: pinballwiz86
I had no idea that the Starlink Satellites were visible to the naked eye. I've see numerous videos that captured them orbiting across a telescope's field of view. I know there are almost 5,000 of them in orbit. Since I viewed your video, I've learned that they are easiest to see within a day or two of launch and that they will ultimately orbit at 340 miles, out of eyesight. What I do not understand is how they get from that low orbit to the high orbit, they were merely carried into orbit and then dispersed and they, themselves have no propulsion systems… And, I thought they had to be painted in a black non-reflective color so they would not reflect the sunlight.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
What I do not understand is how they get from that low orbit to the high orbit, they were merely carried into orbit and then dispersed and they, themselves have no propulsion systems

They do have a propulsion system.

They start low and work themselves father apart from each other to achieve a higher orbit.

Here's a short clip of a stack being released.

Space X will launch 22 Starlinks on Saturday September 23 and 21 on Monday September 25.

Keep the eyes to the skies. :)

Thank you, Ion Thrusters... OK...

The Iridium satellites used to produce "flares" when their solar panels were in just the right position to relfect the light of the sun. The website Heavens Above had detailed predictions on when they would happen and how bright based upon your particular location. It was amazing to know ahead of time when and where to look in the sky ... it would all be dark and then all of a sudden you'd see the flare. It was pretty cool to bring friends outside, tell them where to look, do a countdown, and have them see the flare right on schedule literally to the second. Made you look like a wizard. Those satellites are essentially gone now, though, and the new ones don't flare.

Reactions: MA2 317
I think the strangest thing was to see the Sliver of a Moon purely lit in the background supposedly by the sun and than see that incredible string across the sky lit also going the other direction away from the moon. I am still trying to process where is the sun ?

Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Phantomrain.org

Last edited: