DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

M2Z must be compass calibrated for all flights?

Goin Up

Reactions
For some reason, my M2Z prompts me to compass calibrate at each flight start up. No crashes or mishaps (yet). I find it odd, as my 2 Phantom's seldom prompt me for compass calibration - usually only after I make some "bench calibrations/adjustments" inside where there is numerous metal objects, and have to start the AC. Although it's just a short "circle dance" and it's good to go, I suspect something is out of calibration (or "whack;-), but I'm clueless of what.
Any reasonable suggestion would be appreciated.

are you wearing something like an apple watch or lots of metal zips or are to close to your vehicle, do you stand a few feet away from the drone while it gets ready to fly after you have turned on the drone battery ,unseen metal in the ground ,all these things will prompt a compass calibration request next time it happens look on the screen in settings and see if it is showing an issue with the compass or IMU could be a IMU calibration will fix the problem also you could try moving a few feet and see if the request for calibration goes away

Reactions: Goin Up
are you wearing something like an apple watch or lots of metal zips or are to close to your vehicle, do you stand a few feet away from the drone while it gets ready to fly after you have turned on the drone battery ,unseen metal in the ground ,all these things will prompt a compass calibration request next time it happens look on the screen in settings and see if it is showing an issue with the compass or IMU could be a IMU calibration will fix the problem also you could try moving a few feet and see if the request for calibration goes away
Thanks "Ol Man" ;-).Always respected your knowledge & comments here. I always try to be aware of any metal surroundings, as well as stuff I'm wearing, or in my pockets. My startup procedure is to initiate the controller, then the AC - stand back 15-20 Feet till both initialize, then plug the connector into my display. As my M2Z always flies unerringly after take off until landing, dosen't display any error blips on my display, I never considered a IMU cal. Will try that this p.m.
(FWIW, my wife has suggested it's the iron plate in my head, installed after the imaginary brain transplant she thinks I had. U gotta love them.)

Check the interference levels in the app and then take a look at (or post) the DAT file for a power-up when it requests calibration - that should indicate the cause.
Thanks for your suggestion! Will check that also, in addition to the IMU Cal, recommended by Old Man Mavic

Reactions: old man mavic
Thanks "Ol Man" ;-).Always respected your knowledge & comments here. I always try to be aware of any metal surroundings, as well as stuff I'm wearing, or in my pockets. My startup procedure is to initiate the controller, then the AC - stand back 15-20 Feet till both initialize, then plug the connector into my display. As my M2Z always flies unerringly after take off until landing, dosen't display any error blips on my display, I never considered a IMU cal. Will try that this p.m.
(FWIW, my wife has suggested it's the iron plate in my head, installed after the imaginary brain transplant she thinks I had. U gotta love them.)

If you want to check the DAT file for the yaw initialization data then you will need to have the app and RC connected and on before you power up the aircraft.

well if us oldies,(sorry youngies) follow the new government guidelines that they are proposing with regards to the virus, then we won't be doing much flying in the foreseeable future,its going to be fun seeing how they are going to enforce it ,perhaps we will have a community snitch service that reports us for leaving our homes,or maybe if caught then no treatment

Reactions: Goin Up
well if us oldies,(sorry youngies) follow the new government guidelines that they are proposing with regards to the virus, then we won't be doing much flying in the foreseeable future,its going to be fun seeing how they are going to enforce it ,perhaps we will have a community snitch service that reports us for leaving our homes,or maybe if caught then no treatment
I heard a news report the other day that If you live in Italy, and over 80 and get the virus, you will not receive medical treatment. While that seems somewhat Unbelievable, I've noticed (as well as some of my associates) that here in the US, after 80, you are "followed" by most physicians for whatever ailment every 6-mos - no pro-active testing.
Ok when I check the .dat file, will have the app and RC connected and on before power up. Tnx.

Hi "Ol Man" - just wanted to let you know the IMU Cal worked!! I did not go into the .dat file, as a long time ago, I discovered if something works, leave it alone.
One strange thing I noticed. When the GO app booted up, IMU status is shown on one of the dropdowns. It indicated "normal". I went into advanced/sensors to do the cal.

Hi "Ol Man" - just wanted to let you know the IMU Cal worked!! I did not go into the .dat file, as a long time ago, I discovered if something works, leave it alone.
One strange thing I noticed. When the GO app booted up, IMU status is shown on one of the dropdowns. It indicated "normal". I went into advanced/sensors to do the cal.

Interesting - that suggests that the out-of-calibration IMU was preventing the compass calibration from succeeding. It's a credible explanation - but one that I haven't seen before.

Like you at 84 won't be going anywhere soon. I do have a 77-acre farm with lots of deer & other animals I can go take pictures of when it warms up. I respect your comments also.

[QUOTE = "Goin Up, post: 948536, membro: 76880"]
L'altro giorno ho sentito una notizia secondo cui se vivi in Italia e oltre 80 e ricevi il virus, non riceverai cure mediche. Anche se questo sembra in qualche modo Incredibile , ho notato (così come alcuni dei miei collaboratori) che qui negli Stati Uniti, dopo 80 anni, sei "seguito" dalla maggior parte dei medici per qualsiasi disturbo ogni 6 mesi - nessun test proattivo.
Ok quando controllo il file .dat, l'app e RC saranno collegati e accesi prima dell'accensione. Tnx.
[/CITAZIONE]

Vorrei solo intervenire e quindi lasciare i droni all'argomento, che in Italia facciamo meraviglie per non morire e che l'assistenza sanitaria è gratuita per tutti a differenza degli Stati Uniti che se non si dispone di un'assicurazione, non tutti possono permettersi hai abbandonato il destino. Grazie e scusa per l'intrusione, era solo per chiarire. Vica57

I heard a news report the other day that If you live in Italy, and over 80 and get the virus, you will not receive medical treatment. While that seems somewhat Unbelievable, I've noticed (as well as some of my associates) that here in the US, after 80, you are "followed" by most physicians for whatever ailment every 6-mos - no pro-active testing.
Ok when I check the .dat file, will have the app and RC connected and on before power up. Tnx.
I would just like to intervene and then leave the drones to the topic, that in Italy we do wonders so as not to die and that health care is free for everyone unlike the United States that if you do not have insurance, not everyone can afford it, you have abandoned fate. Thanks and sorry for the intrusion, it was just to clarify. Vica57

Reactions: DHAirbus
That's very interesting. My M2Z has the same issue. I'll calibrate the IMU again tomorrow and see what happens. It's been over a year since I calibrated it last, but I can't remember if that's when it started asking for a new compass calibration at each new location. I have my fingers crossed.

Why can't we fly from our back yard I am 10 miles from Logan international Airport in Boston there is absolutely no air traffic anymore don't even see any med flight helicopter's which were a constant before the crisis I know there are laws we still have to abide by

Last edited:
Why can't we fly from our back yard I am 10 miles from Logan international Airport in Boston there is absolutely no air traffic anymore don't even see any med flight helicopter's which were a constant before the crisis I know there are laws we still have to abide by

Why can't we fly from our back yard I am 10 miles from Logan international Airport in Boston there is absolutely no air traffic anymore don't even see any med flight helicopter's which were a constant before the crisis I know there are laws we still have to abide by.... if we jump in our car alone drive up to some secluded country area where we're not around any people I don't think there's a problem with that..... I don't know about everyplace else but I don't think it's a mandatory lockdown at least not here
Here’s you governor’s explanation....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman