DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight record & Compass calibration question

RRDC Media

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to this and have two quick questions.

1) The top altitude on my flight record is definitely wrong. At the bottom of the printscreen you can see that my altitude for the flight on that day was 190 feet but for some reason it shows 1,083 feet on the record screen. Is there a way to fix this?
Screenshot_20230226_195117.jpg

2) almost every time I want to start flying I have to calibrate the compass. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? It only takes a minute or so but I'd like to prevent it if possible.

Thanks,
Ricardo

Reactions: mereflyer
2) almost every time I want to start flying I have to calibrate the compass. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
You don't say what drone you have.

I suppose you know all about not taking off (or start the drone) close to metal, concrete, car roofs etc.

When you get the calibration message, you should check the sensors state in the app. It will show you if the compass really needs calibration, or if it is a "false message".

I have three Mavic 2's. One of them asks for calibration on almost every startup, it has done that since it was new. I check the sensors state, it shows the compass is perfectly fine, and it flies just as it should even if I don't calibrate. It is probably some software glitch. I have heard about other people having the same problem, that it asks for calibration without needing it.

Reactions: RRDC Media
You don't say what drone you have.

I suppose you know all about not taking off (or start the drone) close to metal, concrete, car roofs etc.

When you get the calibration message, you should check the sensors state in the app. It will show you if the compass really needs calibration, or if it is a "false message".

I have three Mavic 2's. One of them asks for calibration on almost every startup, it has done that since it was new. I check the sensors state, it shows the compass is perfectly fine, and it flies just as it should even if I don't calibrate. It is probably some software glitch. I have heard about other people having the same problem, that it asks for calibration without needing it.
I have a Mavic Air 1. I got this message in the middle of a big field the other day, no metal or any other structure was nearby. I'll check the sensors in the app next time. Not sure if it's a false message as it won't let me take off without calibrating

Hi guys,
1) The top altitude on my flight record is definitely wrong. At the bottom of the printscreen you can see that my altitude for the flight on that day was 190 feet but for some reason it shows 1,083 feet on the record screen. Is there a way to fix this?
You can't "fix" this.
DJI's Top Altitude isn't about flying heights, it's an approximate altitude for the highest point you've launched from.
No idea why they do this, but that's what it is.
Check the aititude of the spot you flew from on the 26th and it should be about 1080 ft above sea level.
2) almost every time I want to start flying I have to calibrate the compass. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? It only takes a minute or so but I'd like to prevent it if possible.
There's no physical reason that you should need to recalibrate the compass before flying, but there was something weird about the original Air that made it ask for recalibrating a lot more than necessary (which is never).

Reactions: RRDC Media
You can't "fix" this.
DJI's Top Altitude isn't about flying heights, it's an approximate altitude for the highest point you've launched from.
No idea why they do this, but that's what it is.

There's no physical reason that you should need to recalibrate the compass before flying, but there was something weird about the original Air that made it ask for recalibrating a lot more than necessary (which is never).
Thanks!

Yeah, it also happened with the Mavic 2. When I bought my used M2P it would ask to calibrate the compass every time I started it up (which is why the guy that sold it to me probably sold it so cheap to me). It ended up being that the compass was magnetized. He had a Dodge pickup that had a huge subwoofer in the back. I figure he laid the drone beside it during his wedding droning gigs making it magnetized. He never put it in a case. I bought a demagnetizer/degausser and it fixed that issue (for me).
Probably not the same issue here but thought I'd throw that out.

I bought a demagnetizer/degausser and it fixed that issue (for me).
I have thought about doing the same on my Mavic 2. I have a demagnetizer, but where is the compass located?

I have heard about other people having the same problem, that it asks for calibration without needing it.
DJI did a strange thing with the Mavic 2.
Although there was no physical reason to be recalibrating the compass, they would force you to if you had moved a certain distance from where you last flew or if it was >30 days since the last recalibration.

But if one of yours is asking each time that's something else.

Reactions: waynorth
DJI did a strange thing with the Mavic 2.
Although there was no physical reason to be recalibrating the compass, they would force you to if you had moved a certain distance from where you last flew or if it was >30 days since the last recalibration.

But if one of yours is asking each time that's something else.
Since I've demagnetized mine it has never asked me again no matter how far I've gone between take off locations. I've seen the same explanation as you have. I'm thinking maybe it was the materials when the aircraft was built that may have been more easily magnetized in those certain drones. No Idea.. Worked for me though.

Mavic 2-I have the same compass error show up no matter where or what I calibrate.Fine in flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_