DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New M3P beeping rapidly on second flight

rgsherr

Reactions
New pilot. I had a drone a few years ago but never got into it. Recently decided to try again. Just got a new M3P. First short flight was normal but on the second one it began beeping rapidly. Took it inside, calibrated the RC controller and then took it outside, placed on a flat surface and calibrated the gimbal. Tried it again and the beeping began as soon as I took off. Sped up if I tried moving the drone in any direction. Landed and brought it in. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Should also mention that I noticed the drone is tilting a bit to one side when hovering (the side that a fairly mild wind was blowing from) Don't know if that was normal or not.

Perhaps the sensors are detecting an obstacle?

the drone is tilting a bit to one side when hovering (the side that a fairly mild wind was blowing from) Don't know if that was normal or not.
That is normal. The drone will tilt in all sorts of directions when attempting to stabilize itself while flying.

Normal for all drones, , just switch over to sport mode and the beeping will be gone, but remember your turning off the Sensors causing the beeps to let you know that your not clear air space.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
Normal for all drones, , just switch over to sport mode and the beeping will be gone
If the OP is seeing what's in the above video, then that is not normal. The drone should not normally detect obstacles when there are none.

Perhaps the sensors are detecting an obstacle?

That is normal. The drone will tilt in all sorts of directions when attempting to stabilize itself while flying.
Thanks for the comment but no the drone was in a wide open area, middle of a farm field.

the drone was in a wide open area, middle of a farm field
Right -- like the drone in the above video. Can you also confirm if it's detecting an obstacle (like in that video)?

Right -- like the drone in the above video. Can you also confirm if it's detecting an obstacle (like in that video)?
No, there's no obstacle detection coming on at all. And it happens immediately as soon as it takes off and is hovering in front of me.

Can you share one of your TXT flight logs? You can find instructions here for retrieving those if needed.

Can you share one of your TXT flight logs? You can find instructions here for retrieving those if needed.
If I go into the dji fly app I can see 3 log files there but can't do anything with them. When I connect the RC to my windows 10 computer the mouse pointer disappears. Just be a conflict there.

When you store the controller with the sticks still attached, they will sometimes come out of calibration. That might be what the beeping is about. You can either leave it go and it will eventually stop while flying or before you turn on the controller, move the joysticks up/down, left/right then turn on the controller. The beeping should not start if that's the problem. Just adding that to your preflight should keep it from beeping any longer unless it detects obstacles.

When you store the controller with the sticks still attached, they will sometimes come out of calibration. That might be what the beeping is about.
If that's the case, the remote controller will start beeping as soon as it's powered on.

When you store the controller with the sticks still attached, they will sometimes come out of calibration. That might be what the beeping is about. You can either leave it go and it will eventually stop while flying or before you turn on the controller, move the joysticks up/down, left/right then turn on the controller. The beeping should not start if that's the problem. Just adding that to your preflight should keep it from beeping any longer unless it detects obstacles.
Reset the drone.
Thought that might be the problem. Although today is much too windy to try flying again I thought I'd try to do all the calibrations again including the RC sticks. Did them all
Got the update problem solved. Didn't know about the 2 finger pull down to get the second menu.
Would like to try it out now but too windy. Have a big metal barn 50'x60'. Could go in there and try it. Don't want to fly, just launch it and see if the beeping is still going on. Do you think that would be safe or would the metal make it too unsafe or interfere with the sensors too much to be viable? Also have an enclosed sunporch. Thinking of trying launching and landing there.

Last edited:
Check and make sure all the sensors are clean. Even if they look clean, use a soft microfiber cloth (like to clean eyeglasses) and clean all of the sensors. Good luck.

Reactions: Cafguy
I thought I'd try to do all the calibrations again including the RC sticks. I am noticing that everytime I try calibrating the left stick the green the green line never goes all the way up to the top as it does when doing all the other directions.
If the sticks are too far out of calibration, the remote controller will start beeping as soon as it's powered on. It sounds like that's not happening (from what you said above).

I notice also that when I start the controller it says Flysafe requires an update
Not doing those updates wouldn't cause an issue like this.

Can you tell us how you're confirming the drone is not detecting obstacles when you hear the beeping?

If you place the drone in sport mode does it still beep and hover out of level? If so you can try to re-install the firmware thru the assistant If that does not stop it then NEXT: Are you quite sure every shipping tag has been removed completely? Look carefully. If after examining the drone for debris and re-installing the firmware does not work it is time to Send it back for repair. you have either a bad sensor or most likely because its new- Some sticker debris or adhesive on one of the sensors.

If the sticks are too far out of calibration, the remote controller will start beeping as soon as it's powered on. It sounds like that's not happening (from what you said above).

Can you tell us how you're confirming the drone is not detecting obstacles when you hear the beeping?
It's about 6' off the ground, Nearest obstacles in front and sides are at least 50 yards away, Nearest object behind is me and I'm about 5' away and the wooden house behind me is about 20' behind me.

If you place the drone in sport mode does it still beep and hover out of level? If so you can try to re-install the firmware thru the assistant If that does not stop it then NEXT: Are you quite sure every shipping tag has been removed completely? Look carefully. If after examining the drone for debris and re-installing the firmware does not work it is time to Send it back for repair. you have either a bad sensor or most likely because its new- Some sticker debris or adhesive on one of the sensors.
Haven't tried sport mode but as soon as the wind goes down I'll try it.
I've looked again carefully and there are no shipping tags left on the drone. I did miss the little soft black cushion under the gimbal the first time I turned it on, but removed it before I ever flew it.
As I said in another post, I've reset it to factory and recalibrated everything. Now I just need to try it. I'm toying with taking it out in my enclosed sunporch and trying launching and landing it. Don't have to actually fly it there because the the beeping was starting as soon as I launched it. Still scared to do that in case it suddenly flies off and hits a wall or a ceiling. Still thinking about that.

It's about 6' off the ground, Nearest obstacles in front and sides are at least 50 yards away, Nearest object behind is me and I'm about 5' away and the wooden house behind me is about 20' behind me.
Maybe it was the controller beeping and not the drone. Being new to this, I'm no longer sure though I'll check it next time I launch. The drone was only 4 or 5' away from me so it could have been the controller but my impression at the time was that it was the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne